Sign in to follow this  

drz gas tank question

Its a silly question but I was wondering, is there a separate compartment in the tank that houses the reserve portion of gas or how does it work? Its difficult to be riding on the freeway and to switch the fuel switch over whall riding? what is the capacity of the reserve? thanks

its the fuel tap itself.

Normal flow has what can be described as a long straw.

Reserve is a short one that basically drinks from the bottom of the tank.

Sorry for the childish description, only way i can think of putting it into words.

What he said plus switching is very easy even while on the road. I would suggest you take a good look at the petcock to see how it works so you know a little when you run out of gas and need to switch to reserve. BTW- Don't run on reserve all the time unless you like pushing your bike!

What he said plus switching is very easy even while on the road. I would suggest you take a good look at the petcock to see how it works so you know a little when you run out of gas and need to switch to reserve. BTW- Don't run on reserve all the time unless you like pushing your bike!

when i am on the road or freeway my bike sputters like for 1 second than dies, its almost impossible to know its gonna do that

when i am on the road or freeway my bike sputters like for 1 second than dies, its almost impossible to know its gonna do that

That being the case- sounds kinda dangerous (semi on your but or something:crazy: ). Hard to hold in the clutch so you don't go from 70mph to 20mph in seconds and turn the petcock with the right.... Try to keep track of your mileage or something to prevent. Or get a big clear tank. Other than that- its good to know where and how to turn your petcock in an situation like that (as stated previously). But preventing it is best- try to keep it full.

That is why I suggested you know ahead of time how to do it, you will keep rolling forward and just switch it to reserve and since the motor is still turning over it will start running again once you switch it.

You just have to be quick is all. I know, easier said than done but with a little practice you will have it down in no time! :thumbsup:

Yeah, mine gives no sign that it's running out of gas.Just like you hit the kill switch. Maybe it's the FCR.Seemed to stumble a little with the Mikuni.

Yeah, mine gives no sign that it's running out of gas.Just like you hit the kill switch. Maybe it's the FCR.Seemed to stumble a little with the Mikuni.

I have the same problem with the mikuni. On the highway or on a road without traffic it;s okay but with cars all around you it`s pretty dangerous because most of the time it`s doesnt show signs before dying like my old cbr.

I noticed the same thing. When I had the Mikuni it would start to stumble when it was running out of gas With the FCR it just dead stalls, which can be dangerous.

Eddie commented that there is a difference in vertical position of the pilot jet in the float bowl.

And that's what your trip odometer is for. If you go past 90 miles on a tank and you're in a situation where stalling would be very bad, go ahead and switch to reserve and start looking for a gas station.

Good motorcycling is about planning, not reacting.:thumbsup:

That being the case- sounds kinda dangerous (semi on your but or something:crazy: ). Hard to hold in the clutch so you don't go from 70mph to 20mph in seconds and turn the petcock with the right.... Try to keep track of your mileage or something to prevent. Or get a big clear tank. Other than that- its good to know where and how to turn your petcock in an situation like that (as stated previously). But preventing it is best- try to keep it full.

its dangerous b/c i was coming back from the mountains one time and it just sputtered for 1 second and died when i was up in the sharp turns at night. lucky i had enough juice in reserve to get home. not fun to spend time up in the cold dark mountains

its dangerous b/c i was coming back from the mountains one time and it just sputtered for 1 second and died when i was up in the sharp turns at night. lucky i had enough juice in reserve to get home. not fun to spend time up in the cold dark mountains

I believe you have a half gallon reserve. that should get ya at LEAST 20 miles. Or its enough to start the bike on fire and stay warm.:thumbsup: