Sign in to follow this  

GT question...

I've been riding GT for the last few weeks and am struggling with knowing where the hell I am and how to get from point "a" to point "b". I bought a map from the Ranger station and was trying to make a few notes on it to help out.

I have figured out a few of the big names like the switchback hill (closed I know), the view trail, goat trail, the flume, bald mtn. tower, slate mtn. etc..

Where is five corners on the good map? What intersections? Can any of you give me names of a few trails that are only numbered on the map?

Just trying to figure this place out. We rode 75 miles on Sunday. Had a ton of fun but got lost and really low on fuel...I'm sure I'm not the only one. Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated. Feel free to PM any responses if you'd rather not post here.

Thanks,

Chad:ride:

Man, I get lost every time I go there. The signage on the trails sucks there! I have my map and GPS and intend to figure this place out this summer!

I agree. The idea of running out of fuel and not knowing where to go or where not to go is pretty scary.

I remember the 1st time I got lost at GT. It was getting dark and I was on the other side of the hill from my truck.

By the time I got back to the stagging area is was BLACK! :ride:

I also remember getting "lost" with CelticDude! Remember that! :ride: He did let me ride his sweet Husaberg though............ so I'll guess alls forgiven. :thumbsup:

To answer your question......... when looking at the new map, you'll see the lettering for Bald Mountain....... just to the right of that you'll see a green circle with the #1 on it. 5 corners is just to the right of that. You can tell cuz there are 5 different roads all intersecting.

Trail 5-2 is just below 5 corners.

P.S. Question for you............ where is Collarbone Alley!? :thumbsup: There's a story that goes along with it! Ask Bigbob or DominicWTF........... I've heard it so many times.............. I forget what really happened! :confused:

The logging didn't help matters at all either...I like to come back to Mace Mills Staging on "9" or from the deep water crossing "1"...Sometimes the "3s" on the north end. I found a few signs were shot gunned to death also...

go to yearington, nevada. you'll never get lost there, nice n flat and wide and flat

Man, I get lost every time I go there. The signage on the trails sucks there!

I'm very bummed the signs are there now, because the lack of signs and poor maps is what kept the place less visited years ago. Now with all of these signs and maps every Joe thinks it's the best place to be. That sucks!

BTW, I rode there on Monday for the first time since last October and the timber work isn't all that bad. Not near as bad as I was expecting after reading of all these posts about it.

...and... Georgetown Blows!

GTown Sucks!!! why waste your time riding there, spent the last two weekends up there working/clearing trails at the crappy place!!!

Glad to see Wiley doesn't ride there on weekends, I always find parked on LeFlume Trail blocking the trail while he waters the flowers!!

I did see 2 people on quads looking to go up Scary Sharry trail and looking at the sign that shows NO QUADS!! another bike came down the trail and said YOU AINT GOING UP THAT!!

Had quadtards with no helmets, riding double, loud pipes racing up down Mace Mill Rd:foul: Mace Mill was packed with quads!!:thumbsup:

Kraig "just one big brain fart away from intelligence" Traum

I hear you Moose. And the thing is, where's the rangers? Almost every time I ride GT I'm checked for my SA and registration. Usually it's Cindy. Where's the LEO's when they are needed?

mace mill will be packed with quads till FH opens.

Wiley ride trail 4 to 3-1 up and round on bald mtn and you will see about 3 miles of trail blown out into road.

Wiley ride trail 4 to 3-1 up and round on bald mtn and you will see about 3 miles of trail blown out into road.

I'm sure you'll correct me if I'm wrong, as too I still don't know all of the trails by number, but wasn't that trail a road before? Just a little over-grown and rutted? If it is the trail I'm thinking of then that's one of the many I never ride due to rookie racers thinking it is the race course.

BTW, anyone of you scan the latest map yet? If so, could I get a copy as so I can converse with you all by trail numbers?

BTW, anyone of you scan the latest map yet? If so, could I get a copy as so I can converse with you all by trail numbers?
How Funny

How Funny

This map is funny. Someone just sent it to me and what a nightmare this thing is. The old trail names were so much better than this lame number system.

Bob, according to this map, 4 doesn't connect to 3-1. If you're discussing the trail marked as "1-3" then my ealier post is about the trail you're writing about. That trail was lame anyways. Five years ago I got into a head-on on that trail with a rookie racer. I've stayed away from it since.

Mr Wiley, I usually go down Martins Trail, then over to Tractor Cut, then to 5 corners, up Rocky Uphill, down Easy Street, to Dirty Picture Trail, then to BigBump Rd, then up Long Uphill, across Big View trail, down Depth Charge, up Scary Sherry, down Manzanita, across to Death March, and back up Martins Trail.

See Ya

Kraig

Mr Wiley, I usually go down Martins Trail, then over to Tractor Cut, then to 5 corners, up Rocky Uphill, down Easy Street, to Dirty Picture Trail, then to BigBump Rd, then up Long Uphill, across Big View trail, down Depth Charge, up Scary Sherry, down Manzanita, across to Death March, and back up Martins Trail.

If the USFS read this post and knew the trails by name then you might get a phone call about riding one or some of these. ...as too now I know who laid some of the fresh tracks on one of these.

"Depth Charge" Now that was a great trail name.

ok the 1-3 or 3-1 whatever trail is easy to describe this way(I dont have map with me)

say you are at Bald mtn staging and you proceed north to that same old trail 4 that leasd all the way down the mtn to RC road well the very firts trail you see is too your leadt and its 1-3 or 3-1 or 3 whatever it is it was a 24" "single track that ran fairly level a long wasy all around bld mtn. that trail is gone see these pics.

If this trail is "lame" and no great loss, then all trails at GT are lame.

Looking at my pictures pizzes me off so look for a new post about it all with photos