Changing 77 xt500 fork seals

I have the forks off the bike.

Dust boots are off.

Top cap bolt is off.

Springs & oil are out.

Now when I try to remove the allen bolt at the bottom of the fork leg. It just turns & turns......etc.

Is the Allen bolt supposed to come out?

I had a neighbor turn the Allen bolt while I looked into the fork tube. Everything in the bottom of the tube was turning....

Are they left handed threads?

Any thoughts or help?

Thanks.

try an air impact wrench, something that can turn fast to break them loose.

i made a tool to hold the rod for a '79 xt500 forks i rebuilt. if you look inside while turning the bolt you should see the shaft of the dampener turning. this dampener has 2 flats. i used a cheap chinese socket that i ground 2 corners out of to clear the round of that shaft. that left 2 flats to hold the shaft while i broke the bolt loose.

good luck

I have the forks off the bike.

Dust boots are off.

Top cap bolt is off.

Springs & oil are out.

Now when I try to remove the allen bolt at the bottom of the fork leg. It just turns & turns......etc.

Is the Allen bolt supposed to come out?

I had a neighbor turn the Allen bolt while I looked into the fork tube. Everything in the bottom of the tube was turning....

Are tAnhey left handed threads?

any thoughts or help?

Thanks.

Put the springs and top cap back in hand tight and use the impact. I bought a craftsman electric impact a long time ago that served me well until I absolutely needed a compressor. I still use it if I am only doing a 1 wheel type project

OK, I don't see any flat sides any where....

I tried a 12mm nut on a long extension...would not thread on

I tried 2 12mm nuts on a bolt would not thread either.

I tried putting springs back in with cap on, used a drill to spin it... nothing

I also tried 10mm 14 & 16 nuts none worked..but these I bought today at the hardware store & they didn't list thread size, so I will try the local bike shop for differnt threads.

I will also ask around for use of an Impact, Or purchase a late B-day present.

Thanks for all the ideas!!!!

Mount the fork tubes back in the triple clamps and put the springs and caps back in and on. Now remove the Allen head bolts from the bottom of the forks and slide the lower fork tube off the upper carefully, be careful of the damper rods ( make sure your dust caps are in place on the upper fork tubes for reinstallation after the job is done). Proceed with the seal change and put a slight dab of fork oil on the new seals and slide the lower tube carefully over the damper rod and fork tube and replace the allen bolt. Now remove the caps and pour in the proper amount of fork oil. Replace your caps and remount your wheel and brake and the job is complete!

This works for me on ALL of my vintage Yamahas that have conventional forks. I have had to use a touch of impact to break the allen heads loose at times, but I've never had a problem with getting the allen bolts out doing it this way. I've never had any problems doing a fork seal change this way!

OK...I was able to borrow an impact, I put the springs back in and the cap bolt on. I had to cut the elbow off an 8mm allen to fit in the impact. Both forks came apart pretty easy with the impact.

The oil seals were not easy to get out, but they finally gave in.

I purchased "Classic Leak proof fork seals" anybody have any experience with these?

They look to be about 1/8" thinner than stock seals, but are supposed to float in the tubes....

One last question; should I use the impact to put the forks back together?

Thanks.

OK...I was able to borrow an impact, I put the springs back in and the cap bolt on. I had to cut the elbow off an 8mm allen to fit in the impact. Both forks came apart pretty easy with the impact.

The oil seals were not easy to get out, but they finally gave in.

I purchased "Classic Leak proof fork seals" anybody have any experience with these?

They look to be about 1/8" thinner than stock seals, but are supposed to float in the tubes....

One last question; should I use the impact to put the forks back together?

Thanks.

i wouldnt. i use a drop of blue locktite & hand-tighten