Husky Fun Ride- Baja '08 - Labor Day (AUG 29th - SEPT 1st ) Ensenada to San Quintin.

UPDATED - AUGUST 1st 2008

That Memorial Ride was just too much fun. So im thinking its time to try a run with the Husky tribe south of the border.

Labor Day Weekend, 2008. Tecate to Mike's and Back! AUG 29th - SEPT 1st

Heres the (revised) plan:

We meet on Friday the 29th of August in the parking lot of Uptite Husqvarna (Santa Ana, Orange County). Both George and myself will bring our trucks, and each have room for a bike or two if needed. We then all caravan to Rancho Santa Veronica near Tecate, Baja. Camp or get a room at the Rancho (your choice), share a big dinner and a beer or two Friday night, even time for a quick local loop.

We ride 160 miles Saturday to Mikes Sky Ranch via Laguna Hanson, a classic Baja route. Sunday we return on a different route, riding part of the Baja 1000 course. Monday the 1st of Sept. is an optional day of local single track riding out of Rancho Santa Veronica, riding some of the past Tecate Hare Scrambles routes..

Labor Day Weekend, 2008. Tecate to Mike's and Back!

(note that this is a change from the originally announced route!)

Bikes:

All Huskys welcome. Must have 60 mile fuel range. No MX tires, please, only Off Road and Dual Sport tires. HD tubes recommended. Recommend 17psi. A couple pumpkins or whatever in the mix isnt the end of the world, but its a Husky gathering. Skid plates recommended. Spockets and chain should be in good shape. Headlights on the bike recommended (but we wont be riding at night, so its just precautionary).

Riders:

All ages, all riding levels. Its a fun ride. Riders each need a camelback with 2 litres water mandatory: matches, powerbar, small flashlight recommended. Simple tools recommended. Spare 21" tube recommended. Normal riding gear, light jacket optional. Fast guys/gals can be up front in the A group. Slow guys/gals can hang back in the B group. We will all be meeting up for lunch together each day, and staying at the same hotels.

Logistics:

We all meet Friday at 11 AM at Uptite Husqvarna in Santa Ana, Orange County. Caravan from there. Those who wish can meet us at the border in Tecate (US side, at the gas station-theres only one) and for those who know the way, feel free to meet at Rancho Santa Veronica.

Documents:

Bikes/trucks all need registration. Riders DO need passsports when re-entering. Guys are being hassled coming back without them now, no matter what it says on the internet. Yes they will let you in without, but its a hassle. Passport is almost mandatory now. We can get insurance for trucks at the border, its real easy to do, about $100 for a long weekend. Bikes dont need it.

Costs:

Past trips have worked out to about $125-150 per person per day once you cross the border. Thats food (i like good food), hotel (safe and clean but nothing fancy), fuel, beer.

More info to come. Feel free to PM me or call George at Uptite with specific questions, concerns, etc.

Original post for reference:

That Memorial Ride was just too much fun. So im thinking its time to try a run with the Husky tribe south of the border.

Late August. Its way to hot to ride anywhere else in the Southwest. The season is over in June. Its been too hot for a couple months. Deserts are in the 100's. Big Bear or Isabella or Kennedy Meadows? Even the mountains are sweltering....

EXCEPT......... along the cool, foggy, fresh pacific coast of northern Baja. Mid summer along the gorgeous ocean its in the 60's-70's. No crowds. No racers. Just mother nature's airconditioner, the fog, and many miles of scenic coast hugging baja ranch roads. ? I'll bring the chase truck. We can carravan from San Diego thru the border. No, there arent any banditos where we're going...

Labor Day Weekend, 2008. Ensenada to San Quintin. ?

Bikes:

All Huskys welcome. Must have 60 mile fuel range. No MX tires, please, only Off Road and Dual Sport tires. HD tubes recommended. Recommend 17psi. A couple pumpkins or whatever in the mix isnt the end of the world, but its a Husky gathering. Skid plates recommended. Spockets and chain should be in good shape. Headlights on the bike recommended (but we wont be riding at night, so its just precautionary).

Riders:

All ages, all riding levels. Its a fun ride. Riders each need a camelback with 2 litres water mandatory: matches, powerbar, small flashlight recommended. Simple tools recommended. Spare 21" tube recommended. Normal riding gear, light jacket optional. Fast guys/gals can be up front in the A group. Slow guys/gals can hang back in the B group. We will all be meeting up for lunch together each day, and staying at the same hotels.

Logistics:

We all meet Friday at 1pm in San Diego. If some dont want to drive into Mex we can consolidate (I have a big flatbed trailer) and leave vehicles on the US side at a safe car park. Then we caravan the 90 minutes to Ensenada. Dinner and beers in town at a nice place. Saturday 9am the ride starts. About 120 miles, easy stuff, some Baja 1000 course along the coast. Its really nice. Very easy. Most of its 100 yards from the ocean, some stuff is on the beach. Lunch/fuel along the way. Arrive San Quintin around 5 pm. Stay the night. Come back up a different route next day.

Documents:

Bikes/trucks all need registration. Riders DO need passsports when re-entering. Guys are being hassled coming back without them now, no matter what it says on the internet. Yes they will let you in without, but its a hassle. Passport is almost mandatory now. We can get insurance for trucks at the border, its real easy to do, about $100 for a long weekend. Bikes dont need it.

Costs:

Past trips have worked out to about $125-150 per person per day once you cross the border. Thats food (i like good food), hotel (safe and clean but nothing fancy), fuel, beer.

More info to come. Feel free to PM me with specific questions, concerns, etc.

Thanks for the many expressions of interest. This is gonna be a hoot! Come on NE guys....get that RV!!

Put me on the "I am going to try my hardest to be there" list. I have never ridden Baja so I need to. Might have to work it out so my wife ends up meeting me after the ride and make it a vacation.

My heart is beating fast just thinking 'bout it.

My wife and I just finished talking and she came to the conclusion that "I", yes she said "you" need to take more time for myself. ?

Ride, maybe a truckpool from the NW?

Put me on the "I am going to try my hardest to be there" list. I have never ridden Baja so I need to. Might have to work it out so my wife ends up meeting me after the ride and make it a vacation.

same with me...I have a TC 450 2006: What should I need to do the bike?

Only of you want to hit 3 ride areas on the way down ? I have a few other Husky bros that might be into this. Maybe we can make it a RV renting road trip like this one we did (which was a BLAST)

Click here - Cali trip

Ride ..those first pics look like Davis Flats at Stony..did you make it up near Goat Mountain? That's the riding area you will like!?

Ride ..those first pics look like Davis Flats at Stony..did you make it up near Goat Mountain? That's the riding area you will like!?

That is Stony, i have no idea where though. We did find some good single track.

Only of you want to hit 3 ride areas on the way down ? I have a few other Husky bros that might be into this. Maybe we can make it a RV renting road trip like this one we did (which was a BLAST)

Click here - Cali trip

Who know's maybe I can talk my bro into making the trip. He's got a dually crew cab and a 40' toy hauler. A freakin beast to haul but sleeps a plenty and has a 12' garage. Problem is he rides on a pumpkin.

Who know's maybe I can talk my bro into making the trip. He's got a dually crew cab and a 40' toy hauler. A freakin beast to haul but sleeps a plenty and has a 12' garage. Problem is he rides on a pumpkin.

I have a toy hauler buddy with a new truck and picking up a TXC510 in a week. I bet he would love to haul our asses to Baja ?

same with me...I have a TC 450 2006: What should I need to do the bike?

Think "big Carnegie" - you will be fine, lots of places to bail &/or just watch.

T We did find some good single track.

I'LL BET!!!

If you nw guys are serious it might affect the dates for stony - just a thought.

Link to this thread in top threads sticky, cause otherwise it will get lost.

BAJA RIDE is ALSO an OLD DREAM for me...in fact I was already dreaming about it when I was kid in France..so I will try to make it real...

Already took days off for august friday 29 and tuesday september 02...

Do I need more ? (I will be coming from SF Bay Area)

is it possible to already know the starting and ending points (where we meet at first; where we start to ride, where we finish to ride; which hotels we are going to overnight )

Thank you