headshake problems (searched no answer found plz help)

im riding a 06 yz250f stock suspension and i weigh 160 lbs with gear. fast c level rider..

my sag is and entire rear end is set up great for me no complaints there, its alll about the front end here. going into breaking bumps i have a hard time and accerating over choppy bumps. my body positioning is ok, its just the bars that are wanting to tourque out of my hands. my front is set at 11 clicks out compression and 7 clicks out rebound stock calls for 12 clicks out compression and 8 clicks out rebound.do u guys thing im experienceing this headshake because my set up is to stiff or not soft enough??

thanks for your replies

How many mm's are the forks up in the triple clamps? Have you made sure the R/S fork isn't bound up on the axle? What exactly are your "rider" and "free" sag numbers?

doc

fork oil is at a stock level or should be bout 5 mm's up in the triple clamps rear race sag at 100mm's free sag at 35 mm's

how exactly would it be bound up on the axle??

fork oil is at a stock level or should be bout 5 mm's up in the triple clamps rear race sag at 100mm's free sag at 35 mm's

how exactly would it be bound up on the axle??

Well your headshake "on the gas" (accell on the chop) could be happening because your rear spring is a bit stiff with those numbers so with 35mm's free sag and your forks only up 5 mm's the bike will be slightly "choppered out" and want to shake its head accellerating. I would take 5mm's of free sag out and raise the forks up to the line on the tube (about 8-10mm's) and then try it again.

Check your axle like this..........

1.) Install both forks and set fork height using calipers or a ruler. It is important that fork height be exactly the same for both sides. Tighten pinch bolts to the proper specs (Top: 18 Ft-Lbs | Lower: 15 Ft-Lbs).

2.) Install the axle and tighten the axle nut to proper spec (75 Ft-Lbs). If the axle turns while tightening, tighten one right side axle pinch bolt to hold axle in place.

3.) Tighten both left side axle pinch bolts to spec (17 Ft-Lbs).

4.) With the left side axle pinch bolts and axle nut tightened, loosen the right side axle pinch bolts. Take a small flathead screwdriver and (VERY) carefully tap it into the slot between the two right side axle pinch bolts. This will enlarge the axle hole. You will then be able to grab the bottom of the right side fork tube and push it in and pull it out freely. The fork will settle naturally into position on the axle without binding.

5.) Remove the screwdriver and tighten the right side axle pinch bolts to spec (17 Ft-Lbs).

If you're wondering if your forks are currently bound up, put your bike on a stand and start this procedure at Step 4.

doc

im riding a 06 yz250f stock suspension and i weigh 160 lbs with gear. fast c level rider..

my sag is and entire rear end is set up great for me no complaints there, its alll about the front end here. going into breaking bumps i have a hard time and accerating over choppy bumps. my body positioning is ok, its just the bars that are wanting to tourque out of my hands. my front is set at 11 clicks out compression and 7 clicks out rebound stock calls for 12 clicks out compression and 8 clicks out rebound.do u guys thing im experienceing this headshake because my set up is to stiff or not soft enough??

thanks for your replies

Way too much rebound. Not enough compression.

You'll see what I mean when you make the change.

By the way, if you still have the factory fluid in those forks get it out. Replace it with anything other than the stuff that's in there.

You'll also see what I mean when you pour, or shall I say, scope it out.

Well your headshake "on the gas" (accell on the chop) could be happening because your rear spring is a bit stiff with those numbers so with 35mm's free sag and your forks only up 5 mm's the bike will be slightly "choppered out" and want to shake its head accellerating. I would take 5mm's of free sag out and raise the forks up to the line on the tube (about 8-10mm's) and then try it again.

Doc,

When you say raise your forks just to clear things up for me...do you mean to have more of the forks above the triple clamp?

Doc,

When you say raise your forks just to clear things up for me...do you mean to have more of the forks above the triple clamp?

Yes, put more weight on the frt. end.

doc