Rotella T oil, cheap as dirt, with a diesel douche! but good?

Just got my 2002 XR4, and still tinkering with the mods I want to make even B4 the first ride. Friend of mine said to get the stainless steel oil filter and use cheap-ass Rotella T oil in it and change it every 8-10 hours. Geez! You can get a 3 gal bucket of this stuff at Wal-Mart for cheap! Good advice? Oh! He also said that since I didn't know how it was maintained, I should drain the existing oil, dump in some diesel, run it for a minute, drain, add the Rotella T, run for 10 min, drain, clean filter, add Rotella T and be good to go. What do you think of those beans? Is the diesel-douche a good idea?

Please, just don't refer to me as the "Diesel Douche", but if its a good idea, then lets pass it along! If not, it was my buddy's idea. And he can be a DD sometimes...

I used Rotella T in my yz85 and now my Kx125 and it works great for me. I have never had a problem with it and it is nice and cheap. Just change it like you said every 8-10 hrs and it should work just fine.

Just got my 2002 XR4, and still tinkering with the mods I want to make even B4 the first ride. Friend of mine said to get the stainless steel oil filter and use cheap-ass Rotella T oil in it and change it every 8-10 hours. Geez! You can get a 3 gal bucket of this stuff at Wal-Mart for cheap! Good advice? Oh! He also said that since I didn't know how it was maintained, I should drain the existing oil, dump in some diesel, run it for a minute, drain, add the Rotella T, run for 10 min, drain, clean filter, add Rotella T and be good to go. What do you think of those beans? Is the diesel-douche a good idea?

Please, just don't refer to me as the "Diesel Douche", but if its a good idea, then lets pass it along! If not, it was my buddy's idea. And he can be a DD sometimes...

He didnt mean diesel oil? Because Diesel oil has detergent properties in it. I dont know how it would go running on straight diesel, even for a short amount of time. Your other option would be to put some engine flush in there. Sounds like a safer option to me...

do not put diesel fuel through your engine. just change the oil after 100 miles the first couple of times. there has been quite a bit of debate on the stainless filters. from what ive read i'll stick with paper ones.

I agree with LLPete. No need to flush your engine oil, especially with diesel fuel. There's a boat-load of debate on the stainless filters - I prefer paper - no knock off brands either - OEM Honda.

Rotella T is made for diesel engines. It is not diesel fuel.

Go to the KTM 2-stroke forum and search for Shell or Rotella. Many riders use it. Search this forum too.

Dwight Rudder will tell you to use synthetic motorcycle oil. He knows XR's.

Myself, I ran Mobil 1 synthetic in the red cap, but it's gone. I am going to try Rotella next. I just need to get up to WallyMart.

my expience with rotella t..is i figured id put it in my xr400 before trying it in my ktm450. the clutch action was NEVER so good on the bike it grabbed solid as can be but with in a couple hundred miles my clutch started slipping. it could be that i have thousands of miles on it and it randomly went out after i put the rotella t in. but i dont think im willing to gamble again.

Do not start your motor with pure diesel fuel in lieu of oil in your motor,just change the oil at 100 miles to get the engine cleaned out.

the french canadian guy across the street from me has a really heavy accent and sometimes i cant understand him..but anyways he is 60+ years old and still drives like a teenager..peeling out all the time in his work van he has for sheetrock work and speeding like crazy everywhere he goes on the gas hard on the brakes hard kinda guy. anyways i see he had a new van so i go over to check it out he tell me his old one the motor blew in it...his friend told him to put auto transmission fluid instead of oil in the engine to flush it out and not being auto savy at all he went right along and did it.

Are you using Rotella T triple or Rotella T Synthetic.

I have used both Rot. Syn. and Rot. reg. 20-50 in several of my bikes including a few road bikes. Never had a problem, clutch or otherwise. I started using it when it was real cheap, it has gone up like the others now in my area.

A friend of mine rebuilt a older chevy 454, not long after break in it didn't run right come to find out a cam lobe had wore down. They told him to only run Rotela in it durning break in.

I'd run what Radigan runs

I'd run what Radigan runs

Radigan runs Miller Genuine Draft and uses the top of a bun from a Burger King burger for an air filter...pickles only.

the french canadian guy across the street from me has a really heavy accent and sometimes i cant understand him..but anyways he is 60+ years old and still drives like a teenager..peeling out all the time in his work van he has for sheetrock work and speeding like crazy everywhere he goes on the gas hard on the brakes hard kinda guy. anyways i see he had a new van so i go over to check it out he tell me his old one the motor blew in it...his friend told him to put auto transmission fluid instead of oil in the engine to flush it out and not being auto savy at all he went right along and did it.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :confused: Why,Why,Why???Would your bud flim flam some old man like that,thats like saying just go ahead and fill up your tank with diesel,if its a gasoline engine,or,just use some 90 wt. gear box oil as pre mix oil,It'll be ok.Poor old sap fell for it,Oh well,its done.:ride: :ride:

I think any oil is good if you change it often that is the key.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :confused: Why,Why,Why???Would your bud flim flam some old man like that,

Read it again...it was the old man's bud.

And I can't imagine actually falling for that, but I've seen the general public, and they're pretty scary. :ride:

I think any oil is good if you change it often that is the key.

I agree with this. I have always used Rotella T in my DRZ400, YZ 450, KTM 300 and YZ85 no issues at all. I used the synthetic once but it made the clutch slip so I just went back to the dino oil. Just change you oil often and buy it by the gallon. Rekluse recommends Rotella T I believe.

using ATF in a car engine is a "old trick" to clean out sludge and crap

the "claimed proper" use is to dump a quart/litre in with the old oil and let it idle for 20 minutes, then change the oil - supposedly the extra detergents clean, and condition the seals,,,, i don't believe it myself.. and i wouldn't try it on my bike either

Just change the oil with the Rotella. Run it around the yard for a few minutes. Then change it again, you'll be good to go.