Here is the story...

I'm not sure what is going on, so I need some help.

I've recently changed my oil and filter (yes, I placed the correct amount of oil in the crank) and when I start it up then, let it sit for 10 min. the sight glass appears almost empty. So, I added just a touch more - looks good, and start it up and same thing?!!! Long story short, I replaced the new filter with other new filter thinking it was bad, but still the same story.

What would cause this? Is the sight glass accurate? I had no problems before with this? Please tell me its nothing major...

Thanks for you help!

The sight glass was the worst idea ever! :thumbsup:

I rarely get accurate reads.

I agree!!! I mean I tip the bike on its side etc... and it still seems low. I don't get it because just a few weeks ago, this was never a problem:banghead:

The ONLY time the oil window is accurate is about 10 minutes after the engine has been run.

36 ounces with oil filter change and ride

I had the same problem on my first oil change. I put in 20-50w syn. put the recommended 1.04cc and warmed up the bike for 3 minutes nothing showed up on the glass. Then I rode it down the alley still nothing. So I added like 200cc more oil to were it was on the bottom of the glass on the stand. Then I road the bike out in the desert and its a litttle above the top of the sight glass. Should I be worried about to much oil?

I had the same problem on my first oil change. I put in 20-50w syn. put the recommended 1.04cc and warmed up the bike for 3 minutes nothing showed up on the glass. Then I rode it down the alley still nothing. So I added like 200cc more oil to were it was on the bottom of the glass on the stand. Then I road the bike out in the desert and its a litttle above the top of the sight glass. Should I be worried about to much oil?

Na, that is what the crankcase vents are for. I never trust those sight glasses, just make sure the recommended amount is put in and call it goo. After a long hard ride, it will be right where it needs to be.

Add the recommend amount in and do what the manual says. When warm, wait for 2 minutes beofre looking in the sight glass.

If you do, you will see teh oil where it needs to be.

When running the oil pump is pushing oil to the valves and piston (via pump) so you will not have oil sitting in the crank case to make a measurement.

If you think about it, it would be very hard for the manufacturer to make a sight glass effective while the bike is running. That is also why you check oil on a car with it off. You would have to account for how much oil could be in motion at any given point, volume of the oil pump/filter, etc.

So waiting 2 minutes is actually a good compromise to checking when completely cold, so you can check during riding session and not have to wait an hour.

This kinda pertains to the thread.I'm a little puzzled as to why the 450 holds alot less oil than the KXF 250 (135L with filter).

Thanks for the replies.

After some research (Owners Manual) it appears that becuase it's semi-dry pump, oil my not always appear in the sight glass. It varies upon engine RPM when shut off, etc... so all is good.

I'm just going to put in the required amount of oil and forget about it. I mean really, I have had many bikes that didn't have a sight glass and all was good!:thumbsup:

Ride On!