Sign in to follow this  

Bought used bike from member here, PROBLEMS!

Help me out here folks, I just got home with a new (used) 2006 CRF250R for my son.

I drove 200 miles to pick it up, checked out the usual things, oil looked fine, coolant level seemed alright.

Heres the deal, the seller tells me he JUST changed the oil and filter. Upon my son buzzing around the yard for about 15 minutes I pulled it in to get a better look at the bike.

BAD NEWS, both engine AND Trans oil is milkshaked.:thumbsup:

I changed out both sides, had him run it (easy) for about 2 minutes, checked it again, nothing. Let him run a while longer (and harder) and still nothing showing up.

It was defiantly NOT just water, had a greenish tint.

HELP!

Where to start, I don't want to waste time or money, also don't want to cause any damage. I provoked my son to get rid of a 99 YZ125 and get into the Honda for reliability:excuseme:

Water pump seals? Head gasket? Both? Which first? Anyway to definitively tell where it's coming from?

Thanks in advance,

Phil

prob if anything the guy rode through a puddle or got water in it from washing if nothing is showing up... is the coolant level dropping?

the waterpump has a (tell tell?) hole is the bottom of it for this purpose.. coolant would leak out of it before it would enter your tranny

I had the same thing happen but this was instantly after I threw in new rings and water leaked into the case when I pulled the cylinder.

He didn't just rebuild it did he? lol

My kid washed his CRF250R 06 and forgot to use his exhaust plugs and his oil went milkshake quick I pulled the mag cover sprayed it out and blew it out and never had an issue since. It did not get the trans though

Man, that is what I keep reading (about the recent wash). And, interestingly, the seller DID mention a very recent wash with a pressure washer.

BUT, that wouldn't explain a Green oil filter.

I even took notice that it dribbled some down onto the plastic guard that has to be removed in order to get the oil filter out.

Trust me, I wish it was something trivial or simple, I just have a feeling it's not:thumbsdn:

Put it this way, does anyone know of any FREAK occurrences, where you could get some coolant in the crankcase (without it being one of the problems I mentioned in the original post)?

Coolant level wasn't down near enough to even concern me, we topped it off with what seemed like about 1-2 ounces of water, it promptly puked about that amount out of the overflow once we started it back up.

What do you think, mess with it? Take it to a reputable shop and let them figure it out? Run it some more and see if I can get the milkshake color back in either of the oils?

what kind of oil is he running? ive had motul in the past turn green after riding? just ride it again and check it out..

it will puke some coolant out after filling it.. bike sets the coolant level..also will do it when it idles to long and overheats..

Phil,

I can promise you that I know absolutely nothing about coolant mixing with the oil. I have never had a problem with that bike whatsoever. I changed the oil before the last ride I went on and it was perfectly fine. When you pulled the dipstick out and it was milky, I thought nothing of it. I did power wash the bike thoroughly before taking pics of it after the oil change, so it was natural to assume that it was just water.

I would never intentionally sell a problem ridden bike to anyone.

Are you absolutely sure that it's coolant in the oil? Like you said, the coolant level was fine and it puked out the extra water that you put in. The bike was not smoking or doing anything strange when you were riding it. It actually looked like it was ripping pretty hard up and down my street, not indicative of a blown head gasket or any other motor problems.

I think that you might be overly concerned over something as simple as water getting in.

I might be wrong here, but how would coolant get into the transmission side of the case? Isn't the transmission case sealed off from the crankcase?

Please let me know what you come up with.

Jeff

In your first post it said you changed the oil and rode and checked, rechecked and nothing. Seems to me that some water might have gotten in there and you got it out when you chenged the oil.

This is a pretty common occurence if the bike was evevr ran thorugh deep water and then the oil wasn't changed. Keep an eye on it. Check the coolant level a couple times to make sure you're not losing any, change the oil a couple times (more frequently than normal), then ride the piss out of it.

It doesn't sound like you've got a problem to me:excuseme:

PS. The last ride I went on AFTER I changed the oil was while it was pouring down rain, at lovely and muddy Lake Gaston Motorsports Park.

I honestly don't think you have anything to worry about.

I'm thinking a bit of water in the trans. Not to worry bud:thumbsup: Like I said, keep an eye on the oil and change it a couple more times more than normal in the beginning. I think you'll be fine:thumbsup:

not sure if it was already talked about above but if the oil keeps getting that way you definatly have a seal worn out that is allowing coolant to enter the tranney.

i bought my crf250r used also, right when i got home i checked it over, (i just dident trust the people) and the tranney oil was completley milkshaked, i changed it and has never went back. then i take of the seat to find some more good news....THE AIR FILTER WAS NOT OILED!!!!!!!!........thank god i dident drive it long like that, it is fine to this day though.

anyway. my tanney on my bike seems to suffer from the milkshaed oil it was running. the tranney is just not how a mx bike tranney should work, too make thinkgs sound simple it just plain shifts hard. i think it may need a bit of clutch work in the future. so to avoid that i would fix what every is causing your oil to go bad

hopefully i will not have to buy a used bike again :thumbsup:

oww yeah. dont buy a mx bike from a girl.....or eles you may come home to shot tranns oil and a unoiled air filter...hint hint

Ride it and keep an eye on it will be fine I go through this every time I buy a used bike over analizing everything!!

if its the water pump seal it will be leaking out of the little hole on the bottom on the water pump itself... if its the headgasket the bike will steam alot on start up..

ride the bike and keep an eye on the fluid levels..

Maybe its an after market oil filter that was a different color from the beggining

maybe..ive seen the oem filter get a greenish color as well after use..

Yep I agree with ya there they do change colors mine had blue trans oil in it when I bought it come to think of it

Phil,

I think that you might be overly concerned over something as simple as water getting in.

I might be wrong here, but how would coolant get into the transmission side of the case? Isn't the transmission case sealed off from the crankcase?

Jeff

Jeff,

I hope you are right, but make no mistake, water & oil is not really anything "simple" or to be taken lightly. Once the oil is emulsified it can be very hard on engine parts (water not an effective lubricant). I hope it was not run long in that condition. As I stated, there where bright green drops that came out of where the oil filter element is, not water, anti-freeze.

Yes, agreed, it ran strong when I picked it up. I was looking at what appeared to me to be brand new oil, maybe more clear that I am used to seeing, but not white or greenish as it appeared when I drained it at home.

Coolant can get into the transmission side, via a few spots on the water pump (seals). That, I'm not so much worried about, it's the crankcase side that has me very concerned.

I wasn't calling you out, ultimately, I realize I bought something use and "as is". I will do what it takes to get things straighten out so the oil and water stay where they are supposed to be. I just though if you had any inklings of an issue prior to me buying it you would offer them to me as a time and money saving measure (for me).

Phil

Jeff,

I hope you are right, but make no mistake, water & oil is not really anything "simple" or to be taken lightly. Once the oil is emulsified it can be very hard on engine parts (water not an effective lubricant). I hope it was not run long in that condition. As I stated, there where bright green drops that came out of where the oil filter element is, not water, anti-freeze.

Yes, agreed, it ran strong when I picked it up. I was looking at what appeared to me to be brand new oil, maybe more clear that I am used to seeing, but not white or greenish as it appeared when I drained it at home.

Coolant can get into the transmission side, via a few spots on the water pump (seals). That, I'm not so much worried about, it's the crankcase side that has me very concerned.

I wasn't calling you out, ultimately, I realize I bought something use and "as is". I will do what it takes to get things straighten out so the oil and water stay where they are supposed to be. I just though if you had any inklings of an issue prior to me buying it you would offer them to me as a time and money saving measure (for me).

Phil

Phil,

I understand your concern as I would be as well. But as I stated earlier, there were and are no known issues of the bike that I am aware of.

Keep an eye on things and keep us posted.

Jeff