Sign in to follow this  

problem with choke knob

I have a 2003 CRF450R and the choke knob on the carb won't stay out. I can feel the detent that's supposed to catch but its not grabbing enough to keep it out. Is there a kit or parts to fix this?

maybe need to be cleaned? might be dirt keeping it from coming out far enough to click into place

Sorry to just jump in, but as a fellow 03 owner, just have to ask what technquie do you use to start up your bike. Lately (post 1st shimming) she has been picky about starting.

As far as the choke, I really don't have a good answer. I will check my 03 repair manual and try to get back.

I can feel the detent when I pull the choke knob out. Sometimes it stays out but the vibration from the engine starting is enough that it pops back in by itself and sometimes it just doesnt stay out at all and I have to hold it out while I start it.

As far as starting goes, cold I give two quick twists of the throttle and pull the choke out and it fires up on the first kick. Warm, just kick it and hot I use the hot start lever.

I rode Red Bud this last weekend and it ran great all day w/temps in the low

60's.

Im having this same problem on my 02, and cant seem to get it to stay out either with out holding it

My 03 same choke problem.Checked it out detent worned out!Ordered new choke assy $16 on TT store.

Found the problem thanks to gary bat. The choke knob assy. comes out with a 14mm deep well socket. Will order a new one asap. as I looked like a goof starting my bike at Red Bud leaned over the left side and holding the choke knob. Good thing it starts easily when cold.

Found the problem thanks to gary bat. The choke knob assy. comes out with a 14mm deep well socket. Will order a new one asap. as I looked like a goof starting my bike at Red Bud leaned over the left side and holding the choke knob. Good thing it starts easily when cold.

Since you are in there. It might be a good idea to pull the hot start and clean it and lube it. My '05 was getting sticky. Water had gotten in there and it was corroding. Pretty ugly.

Have you got the link for the part as my 03 does exactly the same.

Bri

My '05 is doing this as well, can someone confirm that this is the correct part to replace.

16046-MEB-671 Valve set starter

Here's a link to Service Honda's parts fiche, I'm thinking it's #18.

http://www.xtremeusa.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=141825&category=Motorcycles&make=Honda&year=2005&fveh=3351

Yes #18 is what you need.

• Like 1

For a quick fix while you wait for the new choke you can lift the rubber dust boot up and wrap it with tie wire. Just snug though not too tight and then just slide the boot back over.