Sign in to follow this  

Better 4-stroke yamaha or suzuki

im moving over from 2 stroke to 4 stroke and i dont know so much about the newer bikes.

Im going to get a 04 05 maybe 06 250 4-stroke.

What are the major differences between a yzf250 and rmz250?

Is one just better than the other or is it preference?

Others might have different opinions, but I'd say, sit on them both and see which one feels better. You can't go wrong with either.

I wouldn't touch a suzuki from any of those years. Look at the suzuki and kawi forums for 04/05 kawis, and 04/05/06 suzuki's were about the same. When I was buying a 250f, the only good thing I heard about them was the handling. Yamaha's are known for reliability, but I couldn't get the feel for them. They just didn't seem quick enough in handling. I'd get a nice 05 CRF250 with Stainless valves already in it. Make sure the guy has a reciept for the work, but their not that hard to find. Besides the valvetrain, Hondas are as realiable as any other bike IMO

damn, i keep hearing the hondas are good, my friends all have new yamaha 450s quads and my other friends have honda 450 and theyre garbage and get put to shame by the yamaha, im not buying a honda, my buddies have all had cr125,they suck in my opinion, im know im just being stubborn but im gonna look into yamahas more i think

The YZ is great all around. Be careful if the seller does not have good dealer documented maintenence on the bike. A new top end, piston, valves could be expensive. Are you racing? If so consider a 250 2 stroke if you can handle it. The maintenence cost and HP/torque are better than a 250 $t. If you are looking for smooth power and know the history of the bike the yzf250 is golden.

Id say its close the Zook will handle better in corners but the 06 YZF is amazing over whoops. Ive heard about Zooks before 06 having engine problems. Yes YZFs valves last the longest out of the big 4 but its over-hyped, even YZFs zero out and theyre the most expensive replacements. YZFs have the annoying tendancy to stand up mid corner when you gas it.

07 and 08 RM-Z's are very nice bikes, 04-06 i think it was that Kawasaki and Suzuki had a joint venture shearing a few of the same models, and to be honest they weren't very good.

i agree with black z400, for the year's your looking at i'd look for a CRF250R with stainless steel valves, or a KTM 250SX-F, the suspention for the KTM's wasn't even nearing perfection until 07-08 so earlier ones can be hard to set up, but once set up works as well as any other, otherwise KTM also make a very nice 250F.

im hoping to get a 2006 250f w high compression piston, hot cams, exhaust, jet kit and be happy. Im done with 2 strokes, i dont care about the money, i want a good bike, i ride all over including heavy mud,grass, mx track. i hated 4 stroked forever, after riding with everyone i see 2 strokes suck and 4 strokes have more power and reliability. No more bog and burning the clutch in the woods i want some torque and useable powerband.

im hoping to get a 2006 250f w high compression piston, hot cams, exhaust, jet kit and be happy. Im done with 2 strokes, i dont care about the money, i want a good bike, i ride all over including heavy mud,grass, mx track. i hated 4 stroked forever, after riding with everyone i see 2 strokes suck and 4 strokes have more power and reliability. No more bog and burning the clutch in the woods i want some torque and useable powerband.

although i disagree with 90% of that post i suppose each to there own? i love two strokes.

im moving over from 2 stroke to 4 stroke and i dont know so much about the newer bikes.

Im going to get a 04 05 maybe 06 250 4-stroke.

What are the major differences between a yzf250 and rmz250?

Is one just better than the other or is it preference?

Come on man, stick with the Husky's...They're winning stuff all over Europe on the new 08's...SuperMoto, Enduros and now MX!:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Stay with two-strokes. A YZ, throw on a 13 oz. flywheel weight if theyre not torquey enough. And an FMF gnarly, as much low end as you could want

The problem you called bog is caused by you falling out of the powerband. All you need is a quick pull on the clutch and youre back in the power.

although i disagree with 90% of that post i suppose each to there own? i love two strokes.

To each his own. I own both. I have the older more reliable four stroke engine design though.:thumbsup:

If you need to go 4T get a YZ-F or WR-F.

I ended up getting an 06 yz250f. Ive been riding dirtbikes/quads since im 5 im now 22. I gotta say i hated 4 strokes and couldent believe they were taking over. I ride mx and trails also. I must so this is a completely different bike than my old 2 stroke. At first it was wierd, but im always in powerband, can hit a corner in 3rd if i was doing it 2nd in the 2 stroke. Its easier to ride i feel like, i love it the torque and power is amazing, just wants to come up in every gear!

both bikes are very similar, just a few minor tweeks and a color difference. Just go and sit on both before you make up your mind. Plus see what you can find in your area for what price, with such similar bikes the cost will set them apart for you.