Bike's bumping in the air

This is on a 02' CR250 but may apply to anything:

Best way to describe it is like when you are pulling a trailer over the railroad tracks and then you feel the trailer. When I launch, I feel it right after the launch. Almost like it just slung a bunch of mud off. It seems to get worse throughout the day.

Things I have checked: 1) Chain seems tight enough (I do have to tighten it at the end of a ride or two)

2) Spokes are tight and don't seem to have a warped rim

3) My bike's not running the cleanest, still fast but sputters even with a new plug (probably ready for top end??) but I noticed when I revved it the last trip that the cylinder moved around a bit (the brake/nitrogen? thing)--I'm tired and don't remember the name of it--I don't remember being able to move it by hand as much as I can now either.

Could it be the linkage? Anything else?

I'm sure it has happened to someone else.

Thanks

You're probably just feeling the imbalance of the wheels caused by the rim locks.

You're probably just feeling the imbalance of the wheels caused by the rim locks.

That, or he is feeling the suspension hit the stops when it rebounds.

...the suspension hitting the stops on the rebound.

That sounds possible. Is there a fix for that?

greatest fix is getting a yamaha =] :thumbsup: <-- blue

Not jumping?:thumbsup: I doubt there is anything you can do, but try to live with it.

Adjust the rebound clickers, that is what they are for. If the shock has little or no rebound damping, the swingarm will buck like crazy.

Maybe a shock rebuild is in order.

Check the rear suspension for sticking/binding. Put it up and see if you have clean, smooth travel. Maybe you have a bad bushing?

Do you blip the throttle in the air?

Put your bike on a stand, start it up, run it through the gears to 4th. Hold a stead 1/4-1/2 throttle

Is this the lunging/pulsing from the chain/wheel your feeling?

On a 16 year old bike, all the suspension, swingarm and wheel bearings probably need to be replaced. It sounds like it is all topping out on rebound.

when was the last time you greased your swing arm bearings and the shock linkage bearings??

Do you do the maintenace on the swing arm and suspension bearings regularly? You have to pull all of that apart, clean, check for wear, and regrease. Depending on how much you ride, at least a couple of times a year you should do this. I'll bet you probably need a shock rebuild as suggested earlier and to do the maintenance. It sounds like your suspension is binding at the top of the stroke.

Sorry offrdrdr, was still typing when you beat me to this.

Guy from the shop rode with me today. He said I need to refill my nitrogen to start with. Said it before even getting on it. He rode it hard and cleaned it out real good. He didn't feel it. I felt it a little later in the day and I'm starting to think it may have to do with the power delivery. I don't scream it like he did. I'm more in the lower range of the throttle.

MXOldTimer said it best. So what's the cure?

I may still look into bushings, shock rebuild, etc. Can't hurt to keep it fresh. I'm not sure who thought it was 16yrs but it's an 02' and came out the showroom in 05'. Guy said he didn't ride it much if that's true or means anything.