SM wheels for 08 TE

Will 06 SM610 wheels fit on a 08 TE510?

issues:

front brake rotor compatibility (will stock TE510 rotor bolt to the SM610 hub)?

Rear brake rotor (same question)

rear wheel/tire width - too wide , chain scrub?

any other words of wisdom from those that have wanted to mix it up on pavement every few weeks with a TE?

1 Not really, same bolt pattern but different bolt size. This can fixed but why not use the 320 rotor and buy a relocation bracket from EBC for $40.

2 The rear is good to go.

3 The rear rim is a 4.25 with a 150 tire on it. It fits no problem you can even go to a 5.00 inch rim with a160 tire.

Hope this helps.

I have a SM front wheel that I put on my TE. Like hammer said, the bolts and obviously holes are larger on the SM hubs than they are on the TE. I want to be able to swap as easily as I can! So, I am going to drill out the holes (6mm TE bolts) so they fit the larger bolts (8mm SM bolts). That way I can keep the rotors/brakes the same.

David

For you guys doing a SM wheel swap on the TE. I know that the SM has different suspension than a TE and was wondering how you are going to address the difference in geometry of putting a wheel that is 4" shorter on the front end and only 1" shorter on the rear end? Isn't that going to give it a forward rack that makes it unstable at speed? Are you planning on putting a different shock on the back with limited travel or am I just overthinking this?:thumbsup:

My '06 TE with SM wheels is very stable at speed. Just swap the wheels and adjust the suspension a bit and you're good to go!

Man...I am not that good of a rider to notice and I'll hardly be at any considerable speed. I'm just going to move the forks down in the triple clamps so they are almost flush with the top...maybe stiffen up the suspension. I haven't taken a proper ride with the SM wheels, but I will let you know.

David

I get 101mph on GPS with my TXC450 and it has been very stable.

I get 101mph on GPS with my TXC450 and it has been very stable.

You have a TXC with an SM conversion? You lucky bastid.:thumbsup:

He has 2 (his and hers) and both are plated!!!!

He has 2 (his and hers) and both are plated!!!!

Two TXCs and a wife that rides with him!! OMG he's pushing a 9 on a 1-10 scale for lucky.

The SM must have much steeper steering than a TE because the forks are 2" shorter in front and only 1" shorter in back. Also the 17 front rim is about 2" lower than a 21" while the 17 inch rear is less than 1" lower than an 18 for the dirt.

You end up with a 4" lower front end and less than a 2 inch lower rear. every other aspect of the frame geometry is the same.

Unless the rear shock is really much shorter?

For you guys doing a SM wheel swap on the TE. I know that the SM has different suspension than a TE and was wondering how you are going to address the difference in geometry of putting a wheel that is 4" shorter on the front end and only 1" shorter on the rear end? Isn't that going to give it a forward rack that makes it unstable at speed? Are you planning on putting a different shock on the back with limited travel or am I just overthinking this?:thumbsup:

I have a 5" rear with a 160 pilot race tire and I had to offset the rim by adjusting spokes to clear the chain, a 150 tire would be no problem. Mike, The picture is after moving the wheel over a 1/4" at least, you can see how the chain still slaps against the side of the tire, a non o-ring chain would also help.

[

IMG]http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q72/mikedean426/smrmods019.jpg[/img]

smrmods017.jpg

smrmods019.jpg