What is a good starter bike

i've been riding/racing a fourwheler for a while now and its getting too expensive and bikes are a lot faster, so im trying to sell my quad to get a bike. ive riden bikes plenty of times, mostly a rm-125. i dont know what to get though. i wanted a 250f but now im having second thoughts. i want an mx bike for sure and i like 4 strokes and i want a really reliable bike. i dont know if its good to go straight to a 250f right away, i was thinking i should maybe get a 125 first or something, but i dont really have the money to keep selling and buying a bigger bike. oh yea and if it helps, im about 5'10" and 150lbs and would race the bike.

a 250f is the same as a 125, except a 250f would be a bit more reliable and more power. If i were you i would go with a yz250f yamaha's are known for reliability. what kind of quad did you have and what year?

get a 250f! if you get a 125 you will be wanting more power after about a week or less. a stock 250f really doesn't have that much more power than a 125 and i believe it'll be easier for you to adjust to riding a four stroker than a two stroke just because of the power delivery is so smooth. dont get me wrong though 125's are badass and they are easy to work on but you will be much happier with a stroker especially if you're gonna race.

a 250f is the same as a 125, except a 250f would be a bit more reliable and more power. If i were you i would go with a yz250f yamaha's are known for reliability. what kind of quad did you have and what year?

uhm, no.. a 250F isn't going to be more reliable, and it isn't going to make you a faster rider either, a 250F is going to cost around 3 times as much in maintenance over a two stroke, a two stroke in armature racing is going to be a far better choice, not because it's easy to use, just the reverse, they're harder to ride fast, they make you learn to use your throttle and clutch properly, and select the right gear, a 4 stroke you can lug out of a corner a gear to high without using the clutch to get the engine in it's sweat spot and still feel fast, but it's not anywhere near as fast as you could be, if you tried the same on a 125 you'd be left in the dust by the 50's, hence the reason a two stroke is going to make you learn to ride properly if you want to be fast, once you have proper riding technique plastered in your brain in a few years time, trade the 125 for a 250F (or a 250 2t since 250F's and 250 two strokes now race together at an armature level)

you can ride, if you can ride an RM 125 (one of if not the peakiest, most agressive 125) then your not going to have trouble on one.

The YZF is very reliable. It is a perfect bike for this guy.

what Ttoks said.... lol