Sign in to follow this  

2002 XR 400 kickstand question

Hi there,

New to the site and happy to be here! I recently purchased a 2002 XR 400. Great bike and am having fun riding it. However, the kickstand.....and I knew it would eventually happen, has broken off. I took it to a trusted shop in town today and am waiting word tomorrow as to what their welder has to say. My question is this - if it looks to much to weld it back in place does anyone make a swing arm kickstand for an 02' XR 400.

Hi there,

New to the site and happy to be here! I recently purchased a 2002 XR 400. Great bike and am having fun riding it. However, the kickstand.....and I knew it would eventually happen, has broken off. I took it to a trusted shop in town today and am waiting word tomorrow as to what their welder has to say. My question is this - if it looks to much to weld it back in place does anyone make a swing arm kickstand for an 02' XR 400.

If they cannot weld it take it to another welder. It should not be a big deal.

Shinedog,

If you are in the LA/OC area and your welder will not or does not want to weld it......I will do it for you :thumbsup:

Any good welder should be able to reweld your kick stand, even if he has to make a patch or reinforcement to the frame. I've done it twice for friends. The last place I would want to mount a kick stand is on the swing arm. Stay with stock,it works. Don't stand on the bike to start it with the kick stand down, it's to much force on the mount and frame.

I recently had the kickstand on my 1988 XR250 fall off... it is strange how the weld itself did not fail but the frame tube cracked open and left a 2-inch oval hole in the frame tube. My local fab shop said they could weld it back on but they asked me to remove the rear swingarm first so they have full access to the area (and don't burn any plastic sliders or other bits). Cost me $30. Yours might not need the swingarm removed but any good welding shop should be able to do this for little money.

All is good! Welder did a great job and is probably stronger now than when first made. Thanks!!!

My old Husaberg Supermoto had a swingarm kickstand and it sucked!

It always worked it's self loose and could not be trusted to hold any extra weight while on the side stand.

get her welded!

It's going to be bit$h to mount a swingarm kickstand on the XR4 because the chain slider runs several inches back from the pivot and the only real place to mount a swingarm stand on the XR4 is behind the chain slider and that for sure would make it kind of squirrely and most likley you will have to get the aftermarket stand cut and welded to length, so get her welded and save some aggravation.