Sign in to follow this  

2008 CRF Forks

Hey all-

I am about to get into my buddies' 08 CRF 450, and wondered if anyone had read the MXA summary of these forks. According to them, these are pretty much terrible forks, and their solution was to remove the midvalve spring completely, and switch to the next lightest ICS spring- they also lowered the stock oil height from 408 to 388 to help with midstroke harshness. Now, all I have done in the past with the mid is take 2 20x.10's out and replace them with a 20x .15 (thanks, Terry!!), and my other thought is to change the ICS spring to one of the new progressive ones by Merge....does anyone have any other suggestions????? John?? Dave J??

Adam

P.S. this is for a local pro level racer, MX only- any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

I would use a 1.8 ICS spring and replace the midvalve spring along with some minor valving mods. Depending on the rider and fork spring rate you're using you can also take 3-5mm's of preload off.

I had my own midvalve springs made that are 1/2 way between the stk. rate and last years rate and they work awesome.

doc

I asked someone very up in the suspension world about progressive ICS-he said a few riders like them but the majority prefer the feel of a straight rate-if they work for you i cant say but the cost compared to docs suggestion of 1.8 is big.We know most riders like you get on well with a softer ICS.

Adam, take a look at this thread:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=601548

Stack is mainly based on MWR's suggestion for those pre 08 bikes and additional suggestions from Russ.

Rider is very happy with it, no complains.

Don't have any idea about the midvalve spring. Read about it, seems to be too stiff. But since i couldn't get any softer anyways so that wasn't an option.

Interesting that Shockdoc has lighter ones. Might be a good thing.

I think to have read the FC as well offers a lighter spring now.

Perhaps Doc can give us a little more background info about that spring change (Smoother mid-valve action?)

I too was going to have some midvalve springs made. In fact talking to same company as shocdoc. But Factory Connection has indeed come out with some as well. I'm actually waiting for my next shipment to arrive.

But regardless of where they come from, I believe this is the main culprit for the CRFs woes. It needs some work on the main stack as always, but the midvalve spring is WAAY too stiff.

I too was going to have some midvalve springs made. In fact talking to same company as shocdoc. But Factory Connection has indeed come out with some as well. I'm actually waiting for my next shipment to arrive.

I've heard that Factory Connection had the midvalve springs also, but I don't see them listed on their site.

Would you happen to know the part # ?

download their new catalog, should be part # CHKVLVSPRINGS08

but why don't you ask Shockdoc or HONDA65 for their springs?

download their new catalog, should be part # CHKVLVSPRINGS08. but why don't you ask Shockdoc or HONDA65 for their springs?

Because of this...

It appeared to me that Shockdoc and HONDA65 didn't have any midvalve springs yet.

But if they do in fact have them, I'd like to acquire some.

It appeared to me that Shockdoc and HONDA65 didn't have any midvalve springs yet.

I've got them for myself but haven't thought about having enough made to resale. Maybe if there was enough interest to make it worthwhile?

doc

I've got them for myself but haven't thought about having enough made to resale. Maybe if there was enough interest to make it worthwhile?

doc

I'm totally interested :thumbsup:

Thanks for all the responses, guys...with the help of shockdoc and holigan, I believe I am on the right track. Now, another question.....are the 250f forks as bad?!?!?!

Adam

not that bad but some revalving wouldn't hurt as well.