Sign in to follow this  

Brembo Brake trying to kill me

I have a 2002 CR 125 with the brembo brakes. The front brake is like a light switch. It's all the way off or all the way on. There is very little progressive braking. I have adjusted the brake lever and that doesn't really help at all. The pads seem to be good and the fluid seems to be good. Does anyone have any idea how I could fix this so that the brake progressively grips and allows some feel? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

You could try a different pad material. Some pads grab more than others.

I have found that the metallic pads especially when new are grabby. I run either a semi metallic or the organic on the front (like EBC). My fav. pad was the braking organic ones but I have not ordered those in a while. Need to get those again.

Try the organic pads like Tim said. I've never had this problem with my 4 newer Huskys, but have heard others have it. Funny thing is that KTM guys complain of mushy front Brembos.

Norman

My SM610 is the same way, but it is somewhat linear for a small portion of the throw of the lever. But once you reach that point, the lever is rock solid. Same on my Tuono fronts. Feels very similar to my Husky albeit half of the system (Tuono has dual fronts).

My 07 KTM525 is mushy. I think it is the design of the master/plunger as I have bleed it and it is just a mushy feeling brake. Same on my 200XC but not as bad. Back on both work really well and are not mushy. I mean they work well and you can lock it up but with a ton of pressure and the lever never feels solid.

My SM610 is the same way, but it is somewhat linear for a small portion of the throw of the lever. But once you reach that point, the lever is rock solid. Same on my Tuono fronts. Feels very similar to my Husky albeit half of the system (Tuono has dual fronts).

My 07 KTM525 is mushy. I think it is the design of the master/plunger as I have bleed it and it is just a mushy feeling brake. Same on my 200XC but not as bad. Back on both work really well and are not mushy. I mean they work well and you can lock it up but with a ton of pressure and the lever never feels solid.

I read on here a while ago that someone - who appears pretty knowledgeable( by their regular informative posting)

They stated that KTM and Husky specify different bore diameter parts

( 9, 9.5 ,10 mm) if memory serves.

Funny story ; Many years ago my friend bought a brand new (white) KTM 250 MX, and we took it in turns up a gravel road to break it in , After a few miles on it I commented on how progressive the front brake was ,with LOTS of feel . I'd recently ridden a Honda of the same age and that was LETHAL.:thumbsup:

after an hour or so we went to wash the bike over and noticed filings on the front wheel rim. The Bike had NO front brake pads ,and we were stopping on the piston ,and cast casings. Amazing to think that the piston didn't pop out..!!

Needless to say we got a replacement Disc + caliper ,oh yes and pads...

from a rather embarrassed dealer.:thumbsup:

I think I will actually try the organic pads rather than no pads at all. :thumbsup: I should be able to get my hands on some in the next week or so and will post my experience. In the mean time, I actually talked with a buddy at work who suggested filing the edges of the pads a little. He said that it takes a little off the effective gripping area and had helped on one of his bikes (nissin brakes). I'm going to try that and I will let you all know if that provides any benefit. Not sure but I will try it.

Same here with my '02....I adjusted the lever last weekend all the way left so I have only my pointer finger at the end of the lever ball....hopefully this will help ease the sudden "grab"....almost feel like spraying some WD on the the pads....just kidding.:thumbsup:

Well after being unable to ride for a while I was able to get back on the bike. Here is what I did that seemed to fix the problem.

- EBC organic brake pads

- New front wheel bearings

My front wheel had a little play in it and even after the pads, it was still grabbing pretty hard. Especially in 2nd and 1st gear speeds. My thinking was that the disk was actually wobbling a little in the pads and causing the disk to wedge between the pads.

With new wheel bearings, things are really quite nice. just did a 50 mile ride last weekend and it was a blast. Hope that may help some others also.

Glad you found that. I'll file it in my my bag of Husky wisdom. '02> front wheel bearings go pretty quick when they go. I've checked them before an event and all was good and ridden 40-50 miles to find a little play.

Norman

My KTM felt like Mush also, and after some digging and research, found out the common fix was to install a Nissin master from a late model Honda. You need the Honda banjo bolt, but it goes right on, and cured my ills.

Used Brembo MC's were impossible to find, and new ones were $200+.. scored a new Nissin in the package off Fleabay for $70 shipped.

chickenhauler beat me to it....I have replace all my Brembos KTMs and the Husky with Nissin MCs and have cured, the mushey or dissapearing front brakes, I did it to the Husky when I needed a handful of front brake and it went to the grip and I went into a tree......I have used a CRF and YZ and aYZF one all work great, the YZs have the banjo bolt in the front and Hondas in the rear like a Brembo, get the bolt with it..... mine were all flee-bay purchased from $15-35 with levers and bolts....DO IT you won't regret it