REPLACE SM RIMS FOR Dirt RIMS

I have an 06 DRZ400SM that has the EXCEL rims and street tires on it. I want to use it in the Dirt 90% and want to change the rims. Will there be any problems bolting on a front 21" and a rear 18 or 19" on the SM? I would like to keep and use the SM front rotor and both axles. Was wondering if there is a market for trading these for dirt or how much $$$ could I expect to get for the excels with Newer tires.

Thanks for your input.?

Put them up in the TT classifieds first then supermotojunkie and last resort Ebay. You can get $1000+ for sm wheelset and buy a stock S or E 18/21 set for $600 and reuse your sprockets and rotors.

SM wheels sell quickly. I have both sets. If you ride 90-95% dirt Pierelli Scorpion Pro's are a good tire choice, I got the front free when I bought mine. Otherwise Dunlop 606's are popular for mostly dirt use.

You may want to hang onto your SM set as your bike will handle totally differently on the road with dirt tires - like riding on ice.

Rumor has it SM wheelsets are going to drop soon. Surf those 3 sites I gave you and see what each set is goinfg for.

• Like 1

The OEM E/S wheels will mount to the SM with no modification you need to just retain your disks as they are different sizes. I have an extra set of OEM E/S dirt wheels 21" front and 18" with good knobbies and have been looking for set of OEM SM wheels. I would gladly trade with you and provide some cash to you to balance the deal out. I am in Loveland and we could swap and avoid shipping. I am sending you a private message as well. You can email me directly at dpsmith430@yahoo.com. Let me know.

Thanks for your response Goebz. Where can I buy E/S rims for $600? (is that new?) What do you think about a 19" rear?

Put them up in the TT classifieds first then supermotojunkie and last resort Ebay. You can get $1000+ for sm wheelset and buy a stock S or E 18/21 set for $600 and reuse your sprockets and rotors.

SM wheels sell quickly. I have both sets. If you ride 90-95% dirt Pierelli Scorpion Pro's are a good tire choice, I got the front free when I bought mine. Otherwise Dunlop 606's are popular for mostly dirt use.

You may want to hang onto your SM set as your bike will handle totally differently on the road with dirt tires - like riding on ice.

Rumor has it SM wheelsets are going to drop soon. Surf those 3 sites I gave you and see what each set is goinfg for.

Used 21/18 sets in very good to excellent conditon and with tires go for $600/$800 on Ebay.

You you look in the TT classifieds too. Your SM rims with tires will sell for around $1000 on Ebay (without the rotors).

• 2 weeks later...
Used 21/18 sets in very good to excellent conditon and with tires go for $600/$800 on Ebay.

You you look in the TT classifieds too. Your SM rims with tires will sell for around $1000 on Ebay (without the rotors).

+1 Check TT Classifieds first, Keep it in the family, you know.

To buy SM's try SMJ next (Supermotojunkie.com) then Fleabay.

Dont really know about 19" rear, I would stick with stock diameters. Easier to find and you know they fit. If you search there are dozens of threads about guys trying to fit these rims or those rims, relacing this hub to that rim etc.

You may have to search for a while but you will find the stockers available.

I just bought an E and it came with Excel 20" front and 19" rear. Works pretty good. I'm planning on getting a SM set soon though. I would just buy a additional dirt set so you could switch back and forth. Check out the Warp9 dirt wheels also. I want to get their SM wheels as soon as my economic stimulus payment comes.?

• 1 year later...