Sign in to follow this  

Oil Filter - Stock vs K&N vs Stainless

I have stayed away from the K&N oil filter because, when it comes to their air filters, they are designed to enhance performance, which means hi-flow, which could be ok for a racing engine that will be rebuilt frequently, but not for my truck.

Does anyone know if their oil filter is similar such that it doesn't filter to the extent of the stock filter? Same question when it comes to the Scotts stainless one.

Thanks!

stay away from stainless....they are 'cool' but a paper filter will trap more deposits...

I have stayed away from the K&N oil filter because, when it comes to their air filters, they are designed to enhance performance, which means hi-flow, which could be ok for a racing engine that will be rebuilt frequently, but not for my truck.

Does anyone know if their oil filter is similar such that it doesn't filter to the extent of the stock filter? Same question when it comes to the Scotts stainless one.

Thanks!

The stainless filter makers claim that the metal filters take out smaller particles than paper. Regardless of their marketing, personally, I'm sticking with paper. Even if the metal filters DO take out smaller microscopic particles, I'd bet it's more marketing glitz. As long as particles are significantly smaller than a given hydraulic oil cushion, they don't hurt anything, so filtering smaller particles doesn't do anything but make the filter clog up faster.

While I have little doubt that a new stainless filter does a fine job filtering out crap, I question the ability to adequately clean the filter. I'd rather pull out my paper filter and toss whatever contaminants are in there in the trash, vs. risking putting old contaminants back into my motor.

JayC

And those micro particles probably clog up the filter more over time, there is only so much you can get out, I would rather throw away and start fresh each time.

Have used many stainless filters in the past on high power race cars, they do serve a purpose.

For example, BBC super comp dragster engine, roughly 1100 hp. The nice thing about the stainless filter as the oil passes through it, not by it like paper. Great for cold start-ups.

The main reason I use stainless filters on race engines is that in the event of a failure of a part(i.e- rings, gaskets, bearings, etc.), the clogged filter will still flow oil enough to avoid catastrophic engine failure. I have had FRAM HP filters clog and destroy engines. Race engines eat parts all day, but can be rebuilt if they are shut off while they still have oil pressure.

I believe this filter would be good if your clutch fails and it shares the same oil as the engine, but my x doesn't, so I just throw away mine.

Honda filters all the way man!

Have used many stainless filters in the past on high power race cars, they do serve a purpose.

For example, BBC super comp dragster engine, roughly 1100 hp. The nice thing about the stainless filter as the oil passes through it, not by it like paper. Great for cold start-ups.

The main reason I use stainless filters on race engines is that in the event of a failure of a part(i.e- rings, gaskets, bearings, etc.), the clogged filter will still flow oil enough to avoid catastrophic engine failure. I have had FRAM HP filters clog and destroy engines. Race engines eat parts all day, but can be rebuilt if they are shut off while they still have oil pressure.

I believe this filter would be good if your clutch fails and it shares the same oil as the engine, but my x doesn't, so I just throw away mine.

Honda filters all the way man!

side note...never use Fram

I use K&N filters for the bike and have had no issues. I got a good deal on them, so I didn't pay more either.

If you do go stainless be sure not to use it right after a rebuild. There is no way to get all of the mateal shavings and deposits out of the filter I tried everything. So I just went back to paper and haven't gone back.

yeah plus the 60 dollar retail, whoa. Like Jayc250x said its just easier to toos the old stock filter out and install a new stock filter.