Sign in to follow this  

Helmet question

I know there are probably other threads on this, but i couldnt find them.

So this past sunday i was racing the Desert 100 here in washington. I was going along at a good click and hit this rock outcropping and went over the bars. I gave myself a pretty good concussion. But my helmet has no scuffs on it and i cant find any damage in the foam.

my helmet is a 2007 arai windham replica. i got it about a year ago. with no real bad crashes on it.

so the question is, should i purchase a new one?

I'd send it back to Arai so that they can check it out.

If you hit your head hard enough to get a concussion, I'd imagine the foam is compromised where your noggin pushed against it.

Ditto his advice above. You CAN'T usually see the damage a helmet has suffered.

Send it to the factory and if it's damaged, they will probably offer you a replacement at a very good price. I've had this happen.

haven't looked at arai in a while , do they paint the foam black. If they do it should be a solid color, if you can see the pattern of the foam, a whole bunch of white, the foam is shot.

haven't looked at arai in a while , do they paint the foam black. If they do it should be a solid color, if you can see the pattern of the foam, a whole bunch of white, the foam is shot.

yes the foam is painted black ad there are white spots in it. i wouldnt say its a pattern though? should i just buy a new one?

maybe post some pics of the foam. But you might be better off getting another one to be on the safe side.

Here's the deal. Your brain has the consistancy of thick jello. Take a bowl of jello and drop if from a height of 8 ft and see what happens. Now a snell approved helmet must keep the impact to under 300 G's on two impacts on the same spot. A drop from 8 ft is about 300 g . Look at the jello decide is that is an acceptable level of damage for your brain hey it's simple.

Hey an mri is about 2-4K a new helmet is about $400 I replace mine after every crash its cheap insurance.