Sign in to follow this  

Engine Removal Procedure (for shipping to Eddie)

Hi All

I think I nuked the engine on my new to me 2000 DRZE, :ride:

That story is covered in this thread.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=624509

I searched the forum and found this thread about engine removal... :thumbsup:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=5464763

but it seems to be focused more on the shipping process rather then the engine removal process.

Since I am a complete Noob :thumbsup: with this bike (haven't even had a chance to put a first tank of gas in it yet), what I would like to do is attempt to log the steps I will follow to remove the engine and ship it to Eddie as well as take a few pictures along the way.

I'd really appreciate any feedback or comments from you gurus :ride: as I work my way through the process. :confused:

TIA

Randy from Burbank

Here is my dead DRZ arriving home from the mountains.

IMG_2632.jpg

Here is another picture of the right side.

IMG_2634.jpg

Anybody recognize the exhaust and gas tank from this pic? (I will take closeups in the next day or two.)

I spent the first few days cleaning and organizing my garage. And the first key part arrived...

IMG_2636.jpg

I read though the engine removal procedure in chapter 5 and most of it seems straight forward, but I do have a couple of preliminary questions:

The book recommends that I remove some top end components and those located in the crankcase covers while the engine is in the frame. Is this necessary if I am planning to send the entire engine to Eddie?

Do I need to remove the starter?

Do I need to remove/separate the carb from the motor?

Should I remove the drive sprocket?

Does the engine come out of the right or left side of the frame?

I hope to start the actual wrench turning tomorrow/Thurday nite.

TIA

Randy from Burbank

Just pull the whole thing out in one piece. Mine came out of the left side. I had to take off the shift lever. I took off the sprocket. Carb is only hooked to motor by rubber boot, remove it. Starter stays on.

Here are some pics of mine before it left.

100_4100.jpg

100_4103.jpg

100_4105.jpg

100_4106.jpg

My suggestion, don't use UPS. FedEx delivered the package in beautiful condition. On the return trip, UPS damn near destroyed the whole engine. The entire box was broken open, the motor was hanging half way out. Very disturbing!

Good Luck.

Gabe

• Like 1

i highly suggest using the cube shaped upright coolers.i havent had any issues yet using one.they have wheels and and a nice handle the shipping companys seem to treat them better.

i use ups and have never really a major issue except for 24R1.

inusre it for at least $1500.

IMS 4.0 tank.

Yosh slip on maybe?

Harbor Freight trailer - keep an eye on those bearings... they are super cheap to replace and don't last long, I'd do it yearly.

I'd also haul it upright without the kickstand down. [and no, you don't need that many tiesdowns on the front, but I'm anal since I nearly lost a bike once]

drztrailer.jpg

I've also fit two bikes on mine, but its tight.

trailer.jpg

thats the one.they are perfect for a drz motor.stuff some card board around the motor to stabilize it and use strapping tape to hold it closed.

Just pull the whole thing out in one piece. Mine came out of the left side. I had to take off the shift lever. I took off the sprocket. Carb is only hooked to motor by rubber boot, remove it. Starter stays on.

Here are some pics of mine before it left.

100_4105.jpg

My suggestion, don't use UPS. FedEx delivered the package in beautiful condition. On the return trip, UPS damn near destroyed the whole engine. The entire box was broken open, the motor was hanging half way out. Very disturbing!

Good Luck.

Gabe

Great picture.....looks like there are a lot of parts that the manual says to remove that I really don't have to remove, namely:

the radiators

the rear brake lever

the carb (just separate at the engine)

the footpegs

the starter

Is this accurate?

How about the neutral safety switch? It looks like yours is still attached to the engine

and the rectifier?

It also seems like it would be a good idea to completely remove the lower oil pipe and strainer.

Is there any tricks to actually lifting the motor out of the frame?

Any other pointers before I begin the actual wrench turning processes?

TIA

Randy from Burbank

i highly suggest using the cube shaped upright coolers.i havent had any issues yet using one.they have wheels and and a nice handle the shipping companys seem to treat them better.

i use ups and have never really a major issue except for 24R1.

inusre it for at least $1500.

That's a funny story :confused: Had I the great fortune of having my engine go kaplooey during ice chest "season", that's exactly what I would have done. Down here in Southern California, they have this strange phenomenon where they don't sell ice chests during a certain time of the year :thumbsup: You can get the $10 cheapies, but not the upright ones that are big enough for the motor.

I went to 4 Walmarts, 2 K-marts, and a few Big 5's before settling on the Craftsman box from, no not Sears, but K-mart.

It was plenty strong, with wheels and a handle. Bolted the motor to an aluminum frame, lined the bottom of the box with 1/2 OSB, filled it with foam, a couple of ratchet straps. I know a few people who work at UPS, and they admittedly try to break things that either look important or say fragile on the box :ride:

I ship things everyday at work, when people request UPS that's what they get. We insure the item, even though we've never been able to collect when the idiots that work there break things. I'm sorry if you work for UPS and I just called you an idiot. My father-in-law worked for UPS his entire life, not an idiot, but definitely oblivious to the mind frame of the kids loading the trucks. Sorry, I will stop ranting now.

Back on topic. I believe the ice chest is the ideal route, if you can find one :thumbsup:

Gabe "why do you want an ice chest, it's 42 degrees outside" Pari

IMS 4.0 tank.

Yosh slip on maybe?

Harbor Freight trailer - keep an eye on those bearings... they are super cheap to replace and don't last long, I'd do it yearly.

I bought this trailer over a year ago for hauling around my KLR but never had a chance to take it anywhere... always rode the KLR. :thumbsup:

Hauling the DRZ back home was the first time I ever used it to haul something and it seemed to work great. I project that it will get a lot more use taking the DRZ to the more distant riding areas such as Death Valley, Anza etc.

I too was worried about the bearings so I pulled the caps and the grease looked brand new. I would like to get a spare set. Where is the best place to get a replacement set? or are there better quality after market replacements available?

TIA

Randy from Burbank

Tell them you want an ice chest to keep your food warm. If it keeps heat out, it will keep it in just as well.

sheesh

But, living in NorCalifornia I know exactly what you mean. If you try to buy "seasonal" stuff out of season (like sweats in spring or swim trunks in fall) you are seriously SOL.

GK

I couldnt verify the exact product specs from the link above. :thumbsup:

So, I just wanted to verify that this is the correct size (60 qt) of Igloo Ice Cube cooler.. :thumbsup:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5663765

It seems that this 60 qt cooler is sold only at Walmart, whereas Amazon and Target sell a 70 qt version for twice as much. :confused:

So can someone verify the the 60qt model is "good to go" for DRZ engine shipping.. :ride:, I'll place the order tomorrow. :ride:

TIA

Randy from Burbank

Where is the best place to get a replacement set? or are there better quality after market replacements available?

They are like 5 bucks at harbor freight. I'm sure if you brought yours into a bearing place they could find a match for a better quality bearing. They are not however a standard sized bearing that you can walk into any auto parts store and buy though. If you happen to lose one of the bearing dust cover, you will quickly find out they are not a standard size either. The only place I could find one that fits was at HF.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=93834

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=93833

If you use your trailer with any amount frequency, stay on top of the bearings.

They are like 5 bucks at harbor freight. I'm sure if you brought yours into a bearing place they could find a match for a better quality bearing. They are not however a standard sized bearing that you can walk into any auto parts store and buy though. If you happen to lose one of the bearing dust cover, you will quickly find out they are not a standard size either. The only place I could find one that fits was at HF.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=93834

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=93833

If you use your trailer with any amount frequency, stay on top of the bearings.

Point of clarification , it is hard to tell from the HF bearing link if the $4.99 is for one bearing, or a set of bearings...... it looks like one bearing to me.

How many bearings are in each hub (i thought normally 2... i haven't pulled mine apart yet.)? and if there are 2, are the 2 bearings the same size?

(and therefore, I should order 4 plus 2 dust caps as spares/backups)

TIA

Randy from Burbank

Good question, I think for the 5 bucks you get the bearings to replace one side, might want to call and check or better yet if you have one in the area, just go check them out.

I ran out to the Panorama City Walmart and for ~$26 came home with this....

IMG_2637.jpg

... its the 60qt igloo ice cube as described in a previous post.

IMG_2638.jpg

... looks like its a hair over 17" deep.

I also got..

IMG_2642.jpg

..to help keep the nuts and bolts organized.

Strapping tape? Strapping tape ?

I assume this tape will be ok......

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_03013133000P?keyword=strapping+tape

If not, can anybody recommend a good strapping tape?

TIA

Randy from Burbank

I ran out to the Panorama City Walmart and for ~$26 came home with this....

IMG_2637.jpg

... its the 60qt igloo ice cube as described in a previous post.

IMG_2638.jpg

... looks like its a hair over 17" deep.

I also got..

IMG_2642.jpg

..to help keep the nuts and bolts organized.

Strapping tape? Strapping tape ?

I assume this tape will be ok......

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_03013133000P?keyword=strapping+tape

If not, can anybody recommend a good strapping tape?

TIA

Randy from Burbank

Strapping tape = Fiber tape...looks like the stuff from sears is ok.

Might want to take some digi pics as you disassemble the bike for reference when its time to reassemble.