Sign in to follow this  

Oil-free air filter system "What??"

Has anyone seen the "ADVANCED FLOW ENGINEERING ARIES AE2 AIR INTAKE SYSTEM"

I saw it in the Tucker Rockey catalog, it looks like an adapter plate that has a tube on it and a K&N cup style filter clamps onto it...I'm guessing the plate bolts onto the inside of the air box.

They claim it never needs oiling, just flush it out with some mild soap and water.

"ya...ok"

I've read some posts on other sites , that they pass dirt just like the K&N. With the cost of the valve trains on these things. It's a good foam fillter and FFt oil for me. The only way I've ever made a K&N not pass debris past it. Was with an outerwear.

Has anyone seen the "ADVANCED FLOW ENGINEERING ARIES AE2 AIR INTAKE SYSTEM"

I saw it in the Tucker Rockey catalog, it looks like an adapter plate that has a tube on it and a K&N cup style filter clamps onto it...I'm guessing the plate bolts onto the inside of the air box.

They claim it never needs oiling, just flush it out with some mild soap and water.

"ya...ok"

...and the extra fine dust that passes through the air filter is thrown in at no extra charge. Sucha bargin!

For the record, i have heard, the key word here is "Heard" that the K&N's do a good job at flitering. Dont know about this system, but there filters in general are good.

If you have a K&N put a little dab of grease on the air inlet. You'll be suprised hot much dirt gets past the filter. Then do the same test with a foam filter. You'll be sold on the foam. I put a K&N on my truck . I had to pull it off due to all of the dirt that gets past it. It was oiled well and the lip was greased. I have an in at K&N ,and can get filters every now and then. I find a way to pass ,without making them upset. Try the test yourself.

Depends on which K&N you're talking about, guaze or foam. Regardless of manufacturer, the basic standard is this:

In order of most effective filtration:

1. Paper

2. Oiled Foam

3. Oiled Gauze

4. Dry Foam

5. Dry Gauze

In order of most effective air flow:

1. Dry Gauze

2. Dry Foam

3. Oiled Gauze

4. Oiled Foam

5. Paper

Oiled Foam is generally considered the best trade off for air flow (performance) and filtration. And of course, in an offroad application, paper is useless in the event it gets wet. Not all foam is created equal either, and of course there's dual stage filters and various skins to add in.

Personally.......this dry system sounds like something that might be ok in a street application or a low dust enviroment............but I'll stick with my oiled foam filters thank you very much.

Wow, you guys are all really quick to judge. Has anyone tried one yet? Or even seen one? I looked into it. They aren't even available for another couple of weeks. So how can you be so sure it isn't going to work?

I wonder what any of you thought, or would have thought, of monoshock suspension prior to about 1976? How about water-cooling? Or maybe disc brakes? And, ooh, competitive four-strokes? (NO WAY a four-stroke dirt bike will ever be more competitive than a two-stroke!) Or, for that matter, closed sewer systems. There was a time, thousands of years ago, when sewage used to run down city streets and it was completely accepted. I don't crap in the streets. Do you? It takes engineering, creativity, and innovation to change things. Status quo sucks.

What the hell do I know... Maybe we can all talk about it on our HAM radios, because this new-fangled computer thing is never going to catch on! Bill Gates is a complete moron.

Now I know a little about this product. I have an inside connection. From what I understand the filter is actually a two-piece filter. The outside filter is oil-free and acts as a pre-filter. The inner filter is oiled and uses aFe's filter material they developed for the diesel market. Anything that might get past the outer filter is going to get trapped by the inner filter. And the filtration efficiency of the inner filter is over 99.7%. That's better than any foam.

I don't know about you but I hate cleaning air filters, especially the filter on a CRF - even worse on the R model. The AE2 is supposed to make cleaning your filter WAY easier. And you are supposed to be able to clean it much less often. My buddy tells me you clean the outer filter every 3-4 rides and the inner filter every 3-4 months. Say what you want, but if I can run a filter under tap water and clean it, I'm sold. Every time I clean my foam filter with solvent my wife bitches about me stinkin up the house. Supposedly you can clean these filters in the kitchen sink.

But don't take my word for it. Get on your chrome-moly framed, air-cooled, drum-braked, twin-shocked, two-stroke dirt bike and ride down to your local dealer and investigate. And call me on my land-line telephone after and let me know what you think. (I don't have a cell phone yet. New technology scares the hell out of me)

But don't take my word for it. Get on your chrome-moly framed, air-cooled, drum-braked, twin-shocked, two-stroke dirt bike and ride down to your local dealer and investigate. And call me on my land-line telephone after and let me know what you think. (I don't have a cell phone yet. New technology scares the hell out of me)

How did he know I have an MX360

Wow, you guys are all really quick to judge. Has anyone tried one yet? Or even seen one? I looked into it. They aren't even available for another couple of weeks. So how can you be so sure it isn't going to work?

I wonder what any of you thought, or would have thought, of monoshock suspension prior to about 1976? How about water-cooling? Or maybe disc brakes? And, ooh, competitive four-strokes? (NO WAY a four-stroke dirt bike will ever be more competitive than a two-stroke!) Or, for that matter, closed sewer systems. There was a time, thousands of years ago, when sewage used to run down city streets and it was completely accepted. I don't crap in the streets. Do you? It takes engineering, creativity, and innovation to change things. Status quo sucks.

What the hell do I know... Maybe we can all talk about it on our HAM radios, because this new-fangled computer thing is never going to catch on! Bill Gates is a complete moron.

Now I know a little about this product. I have an inside connection. From what I understand the filter is actually a two-piece filter. The outside filter is oil-free and acts as a pre-filter. The inner filter is oiled and uses aFe's filter material they developed for the diesel market. Anything that might get past the outer filter is going to get trapped by the inner filter. And the filtration efficiency of the inner filter is over 99.7%. That's better than any foam.

I don't know about you but I hate cleaning air filters, especially the filter on a CRF - even worse on the R model. The AE2 is supposed to make cleaning your filter WAY easier. And you are supposed to be able to clean it much less often. My buddy tells me you clean the outer filter every 3-4 rides and the inner filter every 3-4 months. Say what you want, but if I can run a filter under tap water and clean it, I'm sold. Every time I clean my foam filter with solvent my wife bitches about me stinkin up the house. Supposedly you can clean these filters in the kitchen sink.

Your first comments at 1976 and monoshocks were aimed at me ... huh?! hahahaha.... :rant:

I seriously... used to be... "that guy"

But... it also sounds like you were alerted to this thread post since none of your bikes are even red... :ride:

And what's up with that?! No worries... you didn't necessarily "sell" the idea to us... or say you'd help with a "group" purchase. (not yet anyway). But thus far.... 2 of your 7 posts on TT have been in support of the K&N. Maybe "your buddy" is you?! ...it wouldn't be the first time someone came onto TT and sold something using 3rd person. LOL!

Either way... would love to hear more about the product.

Now... I have to add... and this is purely OFF TOPIC... You ride a supersport? Or is that your 'chicks' bike?! Because... my old roomate had one... and I think he's now ... well... light in his loafers to say the least. :lol: At 85 horsepower... they truly are an overpriced street bike that most buy just for the name on the tank.

And please... don't take me seriously, I'm just having fun with ya and how you came over to the 450X thread to have some fun. No personal harm intended. You sound open minded... and yes, all the folks who replied about NAY on the filter sounded close minded (for the most part).

I'd like to see it... up close and personal. As well as test one... would be kind of cool. But the maintenance sounds like a crock. I don't know of any material, or "system" able to be cleaned every 3/4 rides. Especially when silt or other fine powder is being ridden in. But hey... I was also the guy who thought he'd never ride a thumper!!

MAKE ME A BELIEVER!!! :thumbsup:

What's that? Oh, you were finished. Well then allow me to retort...

I do have a friend that works there. He works in development. Their web site says $79.95.

And did your old light in the loafers roommate buy his Ducati Supersport in perfect condition with less than 7,000 miles on it on eBay for less than $3,000? Light or not, that would be hard for anyone to pass up.

And how do you know he's light in the loafers? And was he light in the loafers before or after he was your roommate? If it was before, are you sure you didn't live with him for a reason? If it was after, are you sure he didn't go that way for a reason?

By the way, my chick rides a Harley Sportster. Not really my cup of tea. I like something I can lean into the turns. But yes, I did buy it for the name on the tank. I wanted something unique that not every 18 year-old bro in So Cal would have.

No harm done. Just bustin stones.

Happy riding. AW

What's that? Oh, you were finished. Well then allow me to retort...

I do have a friend that works there. He works in development. Their web site says $79.95.

And did your old light in the loafers roommate buy his Ducati Supersport in perfect condition with less than 7,000 miles on it on eBay for less than $3,000? Light or not, that would be hard for anyone to pass up.

And how do you know he's light in the loafers? And was he light in the loafers before or after he was your roommate? If it was before, are you sure you didn't live with him for a reason? If it was after, are you sure he didn't go that way for a reason?

By the way, my chick rides a Harley Sportster. Not really my cup of tea. I like something I can lean into the turns. But yes, I did buy it for the name on the tank. I wanted something unique that not every 18 year-old bro in So Cal would have.

Happy riding. AW

W T F was that? Talk about your nonsensical rambles. I'm going to go out on a limb and say...........don't think that sold to many air filters right there.

Not bad... I'll wait for the reviews.

And did your old light in the loafers roommate buy his Ducati Supersport in perfect condition with less than 7,000 miles on it on eBay for less than $3,000?

Nope... brand new from what I remember.

But I wouldn't take one even as a "gift". :ride:

... we asked after he moved out. :lol: And he's still never fessed up. But it surely doesn't mean that the SuperSport isn't just for women... But that's just my personal opinion as I think 85 horsepower is for the wife or girlfriend. Not the man of the house. :mad:

Me too. :rant:

And no, I'm not Jealous... but I would be if you were on an RC51.

If I can find one... cheap, clean, available.... I'm all over it.

:thumbsup: