Sign in to follow this  

New 07 CRF450R !!!!!! :)

So i just picked up a brand new sled!!!!! i did not sell my 450 berg, it just wont hit the track anymore. I'm fairly new to the track riding, but by no means a rookie, i've been riding for 12 years.

so my question is this, its brand new, what set up wise should i be doing? break in- i was told run it easy for a tank of gas? that sound right?

i'm 24, 5'10" and 180, so-say novice, do most of the doubles and big tables but still tryin to work up to the tripples.

this is the first honda that i have owned since my 1979 xr 250 so and advice on the 07's is welcome. i was told every 3 hours change oil and every other oil change do the filter. i'm no stranger to maint. my berg req an oil swap every 100 miles(every ride, even changed it twice in one weekend camping :thumbsup:)

thanks all in advance:ride:

oh and i paid 6100 out the door(decent?)

personally I would run it for about 15 min then let it cool completley down..Then go out again for 15-20 min come in and cool down all the way again. Then I go out ride a bit harder getting on the gas more then come in and dump the oil and fill her back up and call it good.. I think a tank of gas is too much on a brand new bike in needs time to break in and the seats and all that stuff need to break in settle..

Oh and Congrats on the new bike:thumbsup:

back out all the clickers (full soft) and ride it until the suspension is broken in. otherwize it will beat you to death in the little stuff.

Uhhhhhhhh Break in time.....I did none of the above....showed up at the track, and carved it like a thanksgiving turkey. I also got the suspension re-valved before I even got on the bike....pretty much the backwards of what everyone would probably say. HOWEVER, I have never had a problem....I dont think it matters how you break in your bike.

ya I too just bought a 07 450r grease ever bolt over 6 inches and all bearings since Honda does very little to grease anything, I would break it in easy for the 1st day of riding. now the suspension is shitty back out clickers to soft settings ride it like that for 2 hrs then change all the suspensions fluids , factory does not bleed the air out and the oils are poor quality. if you like a softer ride chang out ICS springs in the forks that helps go softer. put some radiator braces on I would re do the air filter since it has little oil on it. now go have some fun

They run the motor up to redline at the factory anyways. I mean you really cant hurt them.

They run the motor up to redline at the factory anyways. I mean you really cant hurt them.

is this true? if so, it may break alot of the theories I have read on here as far as "ring seating", "heat cycling", and "hard run in"

I just got a leftover CRF450R7 myself.. Shenandoah honda, $5300 OTD. There it is in the back of my truck, havn't even got to ride it yet, gotta love an east coast spring (rain rain rain)

:->

back out all the clickers (full soft) and ride it until the suspension is broken in. otherwize it will beat you to death in the little stuff.
is this common woth the honda's, have you tried it yourself?

thats how i broke in my yfz and sge is still running like champ two years later

Don't forget to Loctite the kickstarter bolt...

Common problem?

is this true? if so, it may break alot of the theories I have read on here as far as "ring seating", "heat cycling", and "hard run in"

I just got a leftover CRF450R7 myself.. Shenandoah honda, $5300 OTD. There it is in the back of my truck, havn't even got to ride it yet, gotta love an east coast spring (rain rain rain)

:->

the last three weeks the local track has tried to have its season opener, but been rained out, so ifeel ya on that one.......

thanks for all the good info so far, jusy what i was lookin for.:thumbsup: