Sign in to follow this  

how to check valve clearnce on 2001 yz250f

hey can some one give me a run down how to check valve clearance and shimming valves and what does it do and stuff haha sorry im a not a top knotch mechanic as you can tell

Hope av doesn't mind me posting up his site that's in his signature, here it is (not mine, just giving a link). Really helped me. :thumbsup:

Note: His is an '06, not sure if the clearances are the same for your year, make sure to find that out.

One note, the center intake valve has very little clearance to get a feeler gage in there. You either need to buy feeler gages with the taper ends or cut a few down with tin snips or something similar. I forget what the clearance is supposed to be but it is not really that common to find it in automotive sets (in my experience) so make sure you look it up in the manual before buying any feeler gage sets.

Also note that you are looking for the valves to be _too tight_ not too loose as you would in other engines.

One note, the center intake valve has very little clearance to get a feeler gage in there. You either need to buy feeler gages with the taper ends or cut a few down with tin snips or something similar.

Your right, I forgot to mention that. Here is the set that I purchased.