First time KTM owner, few questions....

Just picked up a 2007 450 SXF last night, new to KTM's, the bike was purchased new 4 months ago, anything to look out for, or check out, besides the already leaking front fork seals? Love the bike, power all over the place, thanks in advance.

chain tension

Chain tension seems good, the ole 3 finger rule, I changed the oil last night and cleaned the air filter. Looking forward to a couple rides this evening, got a complete set of custom graphics with the bike, spent a couple of hours last night changing them over, looks sweet.

Chain tension is different, DO NOT follow the 3 finger rule. You have to remove the shock, then line up both sprockets, then adjust chain tension. Check out this thread, lots of great info.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showpost.php?p=4305196&postcount=2

And loc-tite every bolt you can get to. Kickstart and shift lever are most common.

Kickstart ?? We don´t need no stinkin´kickstart on our 450`s...:thumbsup:

Kickstart ?? We don´t need no stinkin´kickstart on our 450`s...:thumbsup:

They used to... until KTM forgot to loc-tite them all. :thumbsup:

Chain tension seems good, the ole 3 finger rule, I changed the oil last night and cleaned the air filter. Looking forward to a couple rides this evening, got a complete set of custom graphics with the bike, spent a couple of hours last night changing them over, looks sweet.

Lets see some pics

Havent had time to take an pics yet, worked late tonight and came home and warmed it up took it down the road and it stalled and the battery was to week to turn it over, had to push er home, so I went and bought myself a new battery, currently have it charging. Just been debuggin it, had to replace the little o-ring on the oil drain plug and fix one of the radiator hoses, a little worried after doin a little readin up over at ktm talk, lots of talk about the 07 450's grenading with minimal hours!:thumbsup: Hope she lasts, all I plan on is some fast trail riding.

Havent had time to take an pics yet, worked late tonight and came home and warmed it up took it down the road and it stalled and the battery was to week to turn it over, had to push er home, so I went and bought myself a new battery, currently have it charging. Just been debuggin it, had to replace the little o-ring on the oil drain plug and fix one of the radiator hoses, a little worried after doin a little readin up over at ktm talk, lots of talk about the 07 450's grenading with minimal hours!:thumbsup: Hope she lasts, all I plan on is some fast trail riding.

110 hours on mine (07 505sxf) with no problems.... Keep in mind on KTMtalk all you hear are the bad things...never the good things. We're a little more pleasant over here...:thumbsup: I also use mine for fast singletrack and woods riding. You'll find it will run hot in the tight stuff. I'd recommend a coolant overflow bottle and a coolant upgrade, be it engine ice or whatever....

+1 on the loctite. Strip it to the frame and rebuild it with a couple tubes of blue loctite... also make sure there is a proper lock nut on your rear brake pedal adjuster to prevent over adjustment and rear brake meltdown...Also watch that upper shock bolt like a hawk for tightness.

+1 on loctiting the shift lever and check it before every ride. I re-loctite mine

almost every ride.

Enjoy!

Loctite :thumbsup:

Besides having a crappy battery from the factory all is good. No regrets or buyers remorse.

Loctite :thumbsup:

Besides having a crappy battery from the factory all is good. No regrets or buyers remorse.

Make sure the ground cable and connections are tight. I'm still using the original smaller battery with no problems. But if the connections are not tight, it will not recharge the battery while riding.

My '07 did gernade. One of the pins on the oil pump fell out and the intake cam siezed on the carrier. I had 25hrs on it.

When it got rebuilt, we installed the '08 cam, crank and other '08 engine parts. What a difference. Better low end and power all over.

I had also installed the R&D power bowl that has the adjustable leak jet. It really improved throttle response. Highly recommend it.