To switch back to a Two-stroke

So I am pretty much stuck in a rut right now. I own a 2004 crf250r and it is currently waiting on new valves. I am seriously considering getting a 250 two-stroke. Heres my line of thought,

1. Due to the new rule change with the class 250 f-s vs 250 t-s

2. MAINTENANCE costs are much cheaper.

3. I would not out grow the performance of the bike for a while.

Then i started thinking about the negatives

1. How brutally fast they are.

2. How are your suppose to ride them on tracks (I couldn't keep my buddies front end down on his yz250)

I need some feedback...

the 125 can be consider as well

or the new 144?

ultimately, ya throttle hand

The rule change has got alot of us thinking about it. I think it was a dumb move on the AMA's part.

Go for it , just because you are used to a 4stroke doesnt mean a 2t is

brutally fast
its just a case of getting used to the power delivery which after a month you will really enjoy. It just has a "small" learning curve. Also consider a YZ 125 or KTM 144 if the 250 has too much power. There is nothing like owning a 2t from the maintenece to the sheer riding pleasure.
It just has a "small" learning curve.

Thats funny, it wasn't to long ago people were saying that about the 4strks. II don't think your the only one switching as there have been alot more 2strks at the track lately.

I know for sure I do not want to get a 125 my brother has a Cr125 with a stage III VPE motor and I know a 125 is not for me. They just don't pull hard enough for me.

There is no mystery for taming the 2 stroke "hit". Spend $100 for a flywheel weight. Select the weight to tame the power to any level you desire.

There is no mystery for taming the 2 stroke "hit". Spend $100 for a flywheel weight. Select the weight to tame the power to any level you desire.

That will definately help keep the front wheel down. you could also add an FMF knarly pipe as well to boost the low end.

Also I never rode a 250 t-s on a track.. How are they?

Or is it one of those deals you get used to it.

After basically learning how to track ride on a 4 stroke, I much prefer the 2 stroke.

It's hard for me to imagine anyone calling the 250 2 strokes brutally fast however. If it was wheelying all the time maybe you should slide up on the seat?

My KTM 250SX was real soft when it was stock. Just smooth slow power everywhere w/ no real hit anywhere. I really needed more to do the obstacles at my skill level.

BTW, I now have way more power due to well placed mods.

I switched from my 04 kx250f to a 06 yz250 for lower costs and also a bit more performance. I don't regret it a bit. The YZ has a TON more power but once you get used to it it's a good thing. Also makes it a better all around bike. I do mostly moto but the yz also works much better than the kx in the woods and on the lake. This winter I rebuilt my engine and it cost me $110 and took about an hour. I do have to say I grew up riding 2 strokes so it was an easy decision.

See hearing feedback like that makes me want to switch so bad. Also I just remembered that there was a 15 year old kid that rode a yz250 in 250B last year with no problem and he was really short.

i have a 05 yz125 and im the only 2 stroke out here where i live i am looking at getting a yz250 or a 06 yzf250f. when i rode my dads 00 yz250 at my track i loved the power is hard to control when you only weigh 125lbs. but i remember the front wheel was always off the ground. i hate jumping 4 strokes its just so weird. but i dont wanna screw myself over and blow a 250f up and have to pay alot. i think a 250 2 strokes. are mean as hell out of the corners for me but i got used to my dads. to bad he sold i loved that thing...

As suggested, a flywheel weight does wonders on a 250T if you want to easy to manage power out of the bike.

coming from some first hand experience having purchased a 2001 cr250 last year, i gotta say when riding that back to back with a yz250f and a rmz450 the 4-strokes are definitely a lot easier to ride on the track and i am definitely a lot faster even on the 250f.. For the purpose of only riding on a track would i choose a 450f. Considering i ride some trails, dunes and alot of track i am happy with everything my 250 2-stroke has to offer.. It's just taking me a little longer then i expected getting usto the power on the track, it can definitely get u into trouble.

Should the power be a problem, +3 to a flywheel weight. I'd make the switch if I were in your shoes.

While I plan to keep all of the bikes I already have, I also plan on getting a KTM 250SX later this year. A 250 two-stroke motocross bike is a wonderful thing.

i just made the switch from a 2004 crf 250 to a 2005 rm 250. growing up on two strokes, it was an easy choice. now i will find out in a couple weeks to see if the easy choice was the right choice....i suspect so

Forgot to mention that I also have a pretty hefty flywheel wt on my 06 yz250. I do agree that to be super competative I should probably have a 4 stroke, but I KNOW I'm just out there to have fun.

2 strokes are much funner to freeride on also.

So I am pretty much stuck in a rut right now. I own a 2004 crf250r and it is currently waiting on new valves. I am seriously considering getting a 250 two-stroke. Heres my line of thought,

1. Due to the new rule change with the class 250 f-s vs 250 t-s

2. MAINTENANCE costs are much cheaper.

3. I would not out grow the performance of the bike for a while.

Then i started thinking about the negatives

1. How brutally fast they are.

2. How are your suppose to ride them on tracks (I couldn't keep my buddies front end down on his yz250)

I need some feedback...

I dont want to sound like a dick but MAN UP! Your 18! Unless your under 5ft and 100 lbs a 250t is a great bike and isn't gonna kill you like a 500 would. Just like any bike you need to start out slow and gradually get used to the bike. Remember we're talking about a 10hp and 10 ft/lbs torque difference with these bikes, respect is key.

You ride a 250 very differently than a 4-stroke, 450 at least. You need to focus on shifting a little more, body position, weight on the foot pegs, standing up as opposed to sitting on your ass the whole time, and throttle control. Its tough at first but it makes you a better rider and I think makes it funner as well.

Now choosing which 250t is right for you is very important:prof: You need to ask yourself these questions:

1.) how much do I have to spend on a 250?

2.) Do I look better on a blue, green, yellow or orange bike? Cr250s blow.

Get the bike, figure out what you want changed and do it. Suspension is the first thing you should get done.

good luck