Changing spark plug on KLX250s

I read a post a while ago, cant find it that said how hard it was to replace the plug on this bike. You have to remove the tank, etc. I think your not using the correct tools for the job. You need a Snap-on swivel plug socket (my craftsman had the wrong swivel angle) and another universal swivel (snap-on or Mac or craftsman). Its possible that a double swivel socket from Mac or Snap-on could work. You cant use a cheap Kmart or Lowes brand socket set, not going to work. I had my plug changed out in 4 minutes. dont forget to check the gap.

I read a post a while ago, cant find it that said how hard it was to replace the plug on this bike. You have to remove the tank, etc. I think your not using the correct tools for the job. You need a Snap-on swivel plug socket (my craftsman had the wrong swivel angle) and another universal swivel (snap-on or Mac or craftsman). Its possible that a double swivel socket from Mac or Snap-on could work. You cant use a cheap Kmart or Lowes brand socket set, not going to work. I had my plug changed out in 4 minutes. dont forget to check the gap.

LOL, no you don't. Just use the plug wrench in the toolbag. Takes maybe 2 minutes to carefully unthread it. No special ratchets needed to remove the plug, just patience.

• Like 1

LOL, no you don't. Just use the plug wrench in the toolbag. Takes maybe 2 minutes to carefully unthread it. No special ratchets needed to remove the plug, just patience.

Just went out and tried it again with stock tools, way more that 2 minutes my stock plug socket just clears the valve cover gasket. there in no way, the wrench for the plug socket wont fit in there. the plug socket would have to clear the top of the valve cover in order for it to work. Where does your plug socket go up to. mine is 3.25" long, maybe I didnt get the correct plug socket with the bike. and if so I'm not the only one because I remember reading about this problem on Kawasakiforums.com

Help!

I've taken the plug out with the stock plug socket several times. Just take a screwdriver included in the tools as well and use it to break the plug free by pushing the driver thru the hole at the base(that's why the hole is cut) of the plug socket. Then when it is broken loose, just turn readjust, turn readjust, turn readjust and then it's off. It is close to the tank but if you put your hand a certain way you can do it. There is absolutely nothing hard about this procedure unless you have no patience.

Here's what should be in the tool bag:

a spanner wrench (did not have that), combo 10/12 wrench, combo 14/17 wrench, pliers, combo screwdriver flat & phillphs, pipe flatened on one end, combo 8/10 socket, and a spark plug socket (should be 16mm on one side and have a insert for screwdriver on other and be about 4.33" long). If you get a plug socket that is only a combo 16/13 socket and 3.25" long you got the wrong s*it. Get another from the dealer.

• 3 years later...