Stands...which is the best?

I need to get a stand. I borrowed one the other day to take my tire off the DRZ/SM. I wont get into how hard it was to take off that freaking tire off! :thumbsup: But I will say it was a fairly old looking stand I was using and it was kind of a bitch to get under the DRZ because it sits so low to the ground. After leaning it over I was able to wedge it under, but then I couldnt get the damn thing to lift up! :thumbsup: It had a foot bar I was suppose to step on and push down. It didnt budge! I even stood on it and couldnt get that thing to move. So then I started wondering if it was me being out of shape and not having the strength or is it this out dated piece of crap stand?

I need a stand. I want to know what is the easiest and best stand out there to get? One that I can actually lift the bike up with.

I know I dont want the kind I borrowed. I had to call my son's friend over to help me and he just pushed it down with one foot no problem!:confused: I want a stand I can use for all my bikes.

Well ladies? What do you use and recommend?

I have a jack stand that raises the bike up to dang near eye level... which is awesome for working on it! It's a heavy beast though. There is a company that makes lighter ones... they advertised either here or on Racer X. I'll go a-hunting and see what I can see. :thumbsup:

They are hydraulic, so no real strenth needed to raise the bike... just pump the pedal and up she goes!

this one is similar to the one I have, but there are better ones... still looking! http://www.monsterpowersports.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=84236

This one is cheaper... looks pretty good (similar to what I'm searching for and not finding): http://www.flyncycle.com/acatalog/MOTO-X__SCISSORS_LIFT.html

OK, these are the ones I've seen advertised: http://www.teamhawgracing.com/ (pricey, but they have a 'scratch and dent' shop w/some good savings)

I love the jack stand... ours is stable and heavy duty. We've worked on a bunch of bikes on it with no problems... had motors out, bike totally torn down, sat on the bike on it, etc.

The cheap lift stands will have a limited lifespan. Whether yours was cheap or not I don't know, but perhaps it's getting worn out ... you might check to make sure none of the hardware needs to be tightened.

I think my garage center stand is a Works Connection? I can't remember. I use cheap triangles when we go somewhere so they won't get stolen.

Rocky Mountain might have their shop brand for cheaper. I've been impressed with the quality on all other ARC/Tusk/Primary Drive stuff I've bought so far.

ASV makes an excellent stand and we had the opportunity to see it in INDY.

They have an Ebay store that sells all the blem products and refurb levers for a fraction of the cost.

my 11 year old pro circuit stand is still going strong.

I like solid stands way more than kick type stands. Getting the bike up there is harder, but the bike is far more secure for maintenance or if you need to start the bike etc.

my 11 year old pro circuit stand is still going strong.

I like solid stands way more than kick type stands. Getting the bike up there is harder, but the bike is far more secure for maintenance or if you need to start the bike etc.

They are more dependable, but there's a time the lift-up type of center stands are really handy like when lifting a heavy bike like the DRZ or when you're completely wiped out after a ride.

we have a small coleman cooler that works okay (how redneck is that?)

we have a stand that we found along the road, just stool type. But Yamamamama's sounds awesome, that would be so cool not to have to sit/kneel on concrete! that sounds like a great gift idea :0)

Anybody have one of these? How do they work/last?

http://www.flyncycle.com/acatalog/MOTO-X__SCISSORS_LIFT.html

I have one very similar to it and love it! They can't be beat for a 'stay in the garage' stand for working on bikes. They are not anything you'd really want to be toting around (at least mine isn't). It raises the bike effortlessly and lets it down nice and easy. The bike can be raised up nice and high so you can work while standing, or left a bit lower to work while sitting on a rolling chair. If I recall correctly, it JUST fit under my TTR 125 when it was stock (to give an idea of lowered height).

But Yamamamama's sounds awesome, that would be so cool not to have to sit/kneel on concrete! that sounds like a great gift idea :0)

Haha! Gift idea... yep, hubby wanted it so bought it for me for Christmas. :thumbsup: Hey, I ain't complaining! I bought him this awesome KTM mechanic's rolling stool that I wanted... :thumbsup:

Sun - lemme know what you get. I have the foot bar kind too. Me no like. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Hands down the best and easiest stand to use - it might be a bit longer than most, but SO much more friendly!

http://www.risk-racing.com/pages/RR1_Page.html

I've seen those. Looks nifty! Do you have one personally?

The only other way to put a bike on a stand faster is this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=as2TFVjL6F0

There's a good shot of Paul Krause or someone from Team Green a few years back in the video Time to Ride riding a looooooong nose wheelie, then stopping, kicking the bike over and setting it on the stand. Rear tire never touches the ground. Way awesome!

This is ours... love it! Big difference between this and other jack type stands is ours has a separate foot pedal part attached by a hose. You can slide it from one side to the other if needed. BUT, I think the ones w/the pump pedal attached would probably be easier to move around instead of dragging a two-part thing connected by a hose. JMHO

Bike%20Stand%20003.jpg

Wow! Lots of great info everyone....THANK YOU! I feel like I just finished "Stands 101"

Wow! Lots of great info everyone....THANK YOU! I feel like I just finished "Stands 101"

Probably almost too much info to digest! LOL Good luck w/your decision... I hope we didn't make it too much harder... :thumbsup: