Changing crf450 camshaft for crf450x

Hello i want to change the power characteristics on an 06 crf 450r to make less power i was wondering has anyone ever changed the camshaft for a

trx450r or a crf450x ,and what camshaft fits what year. if so what were the results is there much difference

if so in what way. I already have a flywheel weight and all this does is distribute

power differently.... Im looking for a little less Thanks

Anyone???????

Bump, I want to know the same thing. I have done much searching elsewhere and found nothing, anyone??

It will work any cam out of an X model or TRX will work,but if it were me I would just turn the throttle slower or to a lesser opening.cheers

I know it will fit, but we need to know if anyone has already tried the swap and if so what is it like. My intention for doing the swap is to get better low end power. Personally, I think the main reason I'm going through intake valves so often is due to the radical camshaft profile of the crf450r. So if the 450x camshaft is less aggressive (i.e. less valve overlap) I think it might extend the life of my intakes valves, and give me more lower end power to boot.

I don't think that the TRX or X cam is really a "low end" cam but really a "mild" cam,and your theory about the cam being too "Radical" and hurting the valves has been debated since 02 use the search to see what I mean.Dirt is the root cause of premature valve failure.cheers

I have read read many posts on TT about the crf camshaft, sure the idea has been debated since '02 but no evidence (absolutely nothing) has been conclusive, unless you can show me otherwise. Dirt is not a major factor. Myself, and many others, do meticulous maintenance on our bikes and still have valve clearance issues. If I can find the post from eddie sisneros even he states that it is a misnomer that revving these bikes into the upper end of the rpm range causes premature valve wear.

I have actually been considering the same thing. From what I understand:TRX or crf-X cam are pretty much the same. TRX uses steel intake valves up to 05(more preload on springs,mild cam and lower rev limti). 06 new seat material came out-all have titanium intakes.

SO- If you use an 06 head,trx cam and SS valves-it should be very reliable,but power will be soft- much like a stock 05 trx450r power. Probably good for trail,bad for track

I am only speculating from what I have searched for. Reason I searched,is I no longer race my 05 crf450, but instead of having it collect dust or sell it for peanuts-I'd rather make it a reliable practice bike.

SO- If you use an 06 head,trx cam and SS valves-it should be very reliable,but power will be soft- much like a stock 05 trx450r power. Probably good for trail,bad for track

I believe you are right, very reliable, but a little pricey!

When you mention the power being 'softer' I think that's exactly what it would feel like. Now I'm starting to reconsider the whole idea of swapping camshafts! Instead, if I find a deal on a '06 head then it might be worth making the swap.

I have a super low hour 450X cam I would trade for the R cam, I'm in Sacramento...

I believe you are right, very reliable, but a little pricey!

When you mention the power being 'softer' I think that's exactly what it would feel like. Now I'm starting to reconsider the whole idea of swapping camshafts! Instead, if I find a deal on a '06 head then it might be worth making the swap.

You can find an x or trx cam for $10.Alot of stock cams floating around. A new 06 head with new stainless valves is around $600. By the time you get your head cut and buy all the stuff to rebuild a head,your at this price anyways.:p Also,for less hit you can use an 02 piston-it has less compression.

I enjoy the hit, I was just hoping to get a little more life out of my valves without breaking the bank. An '02 piston for less hit? I recently did lots of research trying to find out which piston I currently have (to make sure it was/wasn't aftermarket - long story). After numerous calls to parts houses I found that 02'-'08 all use the same piston, parts dude says there are two different part numbers but one supersedes the other. Tried to match my "HF6" piston and was told that this numbering system only indicates the Honda factory it came from (could be a bunch of shit, but that is what they tell me). How would you be able to tell them apart?

Not sure,but the comression was bumped up. I just know 02 had lower compession/different piston. Maybe someone will chime in and have details.Also try service honda or by calling TT store might help. I'm not sure,but maybe a crf-x piston has less compression-IDK for sure. To tell the difference,its the piston suface area on top. Again,not sure if you can visually tell a difference. I am going off what I read and what I have been told.

I don't know how to tell the difference, but the '02-'03 definitely had a lower compression piston. Compression was 11.5:1. After '03, the compression was bumped to 12:1. I just installed a newer OEM piston in my '02 in order to get a bit more compression.

Part number for the '02-'03 piston is 13101-MEB-670

Part number for the '04-'08 piston is 13111-MEN-730

BTW, I'm still on the original valves and just last month replaced the piston for the first time. Don't know if this is typical, though.

Did you notice a difference in power going from 11.5:1 to 12:1? As for the valves-its just luck. I did all the proper maintenance and went through 3 sets of intake valves(titanium oem). I think its a quality control issue-maybe the springs,valves or seats-not sure which. My bike has pretty many hours on it,so the whole stainless vlave,lower compression,mild cam is really just to increase reliability for fun riding and take the stress off the other tired engine components. Once I get some funds,I will do the X cam, '02 piston and stainless valves and report back. I am just after getting XR reliability out of the engine-probably at the cost of getting XR power,but thats OK.

Yeah, I do notice a bit more power with the 12:1 piston vs. the 11.5:1. It's not earth-shattering, but it is noticeable. On the trail, my bike's got more power than I could ever imagine needing, so it's not as noticeable there. But today was my first ride of the year at the St. Anthony sand dunes, and I've definitely got more power than I had last year. With my 12/50 gearing, the new piston, and my paddle tire, it's kinda scary on the big dunes. I never run out of power. Instead, the front wheel just lifts off as the bike continues to churn out the power. Some of this is due to my gearing, but some also has to be attributed to the higher compression piston making more power.