Sign in to follow this  

SuMo, lower tubes in clamps?

Just finished my S to SM conversion, bike runs sweet!! Tires still need to be properly broken in, was a little slippery yesterday:ride: .

QUESTION:

I think I'm raked too much, should I lower my fork tubes in the triple clamps to adjust the geometry for Moto?

Any recommendations how many mm I should lower the tubes??

Thanks

Will post pics later

I left mine. I have been running this way for nearly 2 years. There were threads a couple years ago where some were dropping them. I planned to try it to see. No stability issues as yet.

LOL, I raised mine to be flush to give me more rake. I feel the bike turns plenty fast enough on the street and a little extra stability was a good thing.

If you are running super moto and the corners are real tight, lowering the forks a little may help.

LOL, I raised mine to be flush to give me more rake. I feel the bike turns plenty fast enough on the street and a little extra stability was a good thing.

If you are running super moto and the corners are real tight, lowering the forks a little may help.

I did the exact same thing. really helps with high speeds.

Thanks for the comments, I guess I can just experiment with it and see what works.

I might try 5mm lower and see what happens. I think stock was 7mm, which I left it at, so I might go to 12mm below the top of the tube.

rear sag is important too.

in other words, if you have too much rear sag now, you're front end may feel too high.

i read recently eddie recommended 75 mm sag for sm.

currently, i'm at 82 mm, with my fork caps approx. .150" over triple clamps on a converted E model & the bike feels pretty good.

I know yours is a S conversion, but when I lowered my SM, things got ugly.. a little too unstable at high speed. Took off stock mirrors, put on a steering stabilizer, then just put my forks back after two tank slappers at 55+.

Granted, I've never adjusted my sag, and it could've been bad luck. But I'm keeping at stock. Turns plenty quick for me.

Hey William, :confused:

I did essentially the same thing that you did...:thumbsup:

...by lowering the rear more than the front to relax the fork angle for better freeway stability. The SM rides like it's on rails right up to the 90's. The high speed stability was further enhanced by removing the shrouds and adding a minimal "shorty" SM fender. These simple small mods taken together add so much to the overall comfort and safety level of freeway riding.:thumbsup:

Take Care,

Greg

I know yours is a S conversion, but when I lowered my SM, things got ugly.. a little too unstable at high speed. Took off stock mirrors, put on a steering stabilizer, then just put my forks back after two tank slappers at 55+.

Granted, I've never adjusted my sag, and it could've been bad luck. But I'm keeping at stock. Turns plenty quick for me.

i slid my tubes up in the clamps and had a very similer situation... plus the bike wandered all over when trying to go stright. might be ok for the track but made street rding a little scary and i put them back.