Sign in to follow this  

Anybody ever crash due to the wind?

Two laps in row, same jump, the wind kicks up when Im in the air and pushes the bike out from under me to the point I end up landing at an angle(the bikes swaps after landing). How do ya see that one coming? Better yet what can you do other than try and pull it back even though all your weight is on the other side?

Yup, I've been hurt do to the wind. The only thing you can do is try an account for it on the jump approach, or back out when it is really windy. At one race I was in one of the top local pros got caught by the wind on a big triple. Blew him off the track and he landed on the fence. He was still laying there when I finished the race. Amazingly he eventually got up and walked away, but he called it quits for the day.

Unfortunately I don't jump high or far enough to see the major effects of the wind but I have felt my bike turn in the air on gusty days. Wind plays a major factor and the effects are only acerbated by height and distance. It may be blowing 5-10 knots trackside, but hit a big table and end up 20+ feet above the track and it could be 5-10 knots steady more especially if you are above any wind obstructions (I.e. cars in parking lot, trees, signs, etc.) not taking into effects a gust. That's why the FMX guys are always concerned about the wind.

I'm going to use that as my next excuse when I dump it in a corner or wreck on a jump. It was the wind. Everyone will dispute that claim because of the beer gut ballast that usually keeps me tracking straight in those conditions.

In this situation it was more of a gust that hit when I was half way across the table and it wasn't anticpated leaving the face. Just one of those things that ya deal with I guess, no real way to fix it in the air other than trying to work it back staight and hope for the best.

i have this problem to and hate not being able to take the big jumps due to wind.

is there any way that you could brace for it before u hit the jump, like body position wen you are taking off??

yep... not on a mx track but out at the dunes i was jumping around 45' and had a gust of wind blow my bike way to the left causing me to swap out...

I've had crosswind gusts make things sketchy on several occasions. Only made me crash once, but has caused several "oh sh-t" moments. i've noticed crosswinds usually make the rear end swap and make the bike lean into the crosswind. It is very difficult (sometimes impossible) to pull out of.

Yesterday I was jumping a good sized step up (about 100 feet out, 15 feet up) with a fairly consistent crosswind (maybe 10mph max). The swapping behavior of the bike was fairly consisent with each jump. This jump had a very wide landing area, and I found that taking off on the upwind side and aiming the bike slightly downwind helped a little bit with the swapping. This would not work a jump with a narrower landing because you land downwind of where you took off.

If it was any windier than it was I wouldn't have done the jump. I had a dune flag placed near the jump so I knew what the wind was doing when I approached. If the wind is questionable it is best to have an indicator like this so you know when to back off.

Anyone whos been to Piru MX knows what Im talking about on this one. The track is in the side of a hill and the have a 80 foot table that leads down hill to a right 180 then a 30 foot table right next to the 80 footer. A wind blast pushed me off the 80 footer and I landed on top of the 30 footer and bottome my suspension entirely bending both rims and fractuing my wrist in the process. Lucky for me no one was coming because I was facing the wrong way on the track.

you have to lean into the wind of coarse we are talking about a cross wind on a jump if yo know its windy just before take off lean hard into the wind and you will have some luck with that just like air planes land the same way if the plane has a cross wind they do what pilots call crab landings they turn the nose of the plane slightly in the wind , the plane will look like its coming sideways depending how hard the wind is blowing the more sideways the plane will look. on a bike as you take off turn in to the wind just as you lift off it really works but their is a chance the wind will blow you off your line just a bit

Blew my old bike right out from under me, landed sideways and luckily just skidded out of it. I am leary of this now on windy days. It's like a cross wind on an airplane. I think the spinning wheels/spokes act like a sail.:thumbsup:

Anyone whos been to Piru MX knows what Im talking about on this one. The track is in the side of a hill and the have a 80 foot table that leads down hill to a right 180 then a 30 foot table right next to the 80 footer. A wind blast pushed me off the 80 footer and I landed on top of the 30 footer and bottome my suspension entirely bending both rims and fractuing my wrist in the process. Lucky for me no one was coming because I was facing the wrong way on the track.

yup piru gets some strong winds thru the canyon. about the only thing ive come up with to diminish the effect is to stay low/close to the bike when i jump. i almost sit on it in the air, leaning forward and keeping my head low. try it, it seems to help.

I had it happen once on my downhill mountain bike, on a sidehill tabletop between 180 degree berms. You had to transition from one turn to the next in the air, and I got hit by a big gust. Just washed out and slid a bit, no injuries.

I find I need to lean AWAY from the wind, not into the wind, as the wind tries to blow the bike out from under you. Also helps to throw a bit of a tabletop into the wind.

i had this happen to me in 1976 off a large jump during a race. it put me sideways and blew out my left knee big time. 13 weeks in a full leg cast. i raced for 3 more years then called it quits because my knee couldnt take it anymore. but with my cell knee braces i am on the track again 29 years later.:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Haha, I have seen that happen to numerous guys. That table top can be a hazzard in the wind. If I get to the track and it's that windy, I usually just keep on driving out and go trail riding somewhere. No need to chance getting hurt for a couple practice laps. No fun in that.

i found that if you squeeze your knees to your bike theres a difference on windy days. I ride in a very open field with some medium size jumps. and if your too loose in the air, the wind will blow you off balance, causing the bike position to change. but if your tight and low on the bike there is less of a chance of getting thrown off course.

ya got blown sideways over this big camel hump and i landed on my right leg dislocated my knee pretty good.

When I was riding some trails out back, going out in an open field with a cross wind hit pretty hard..was able to drift my bike across the trail :thumbsup:. No crash due to wind though...I can see how being in the air would be much much different though.

Two laps in row, same jump, the wind kicks up when Im in the air and pushes the bike out from under me to the point I end up landing at an angle(the bikes swaps after landing). How do ya see that one coming? Better yet what can you do other than try and pull it back even though all your weight is on the other side?

A scrub or whip will minimize the issue. Wind doesn't have near the effect on a bike that's flat or parallel to the direction of the current. The only concussion I've ever had riding was having the bike blown out from under me over a large tabletop. That helmet is now for "display only.":eek:

Was out today, iy was very windy. I swapped on more than a few landings.

The only thing I can say is if the wind is strong enough to blow you off the track you'll need to compenate. If the wind is blowing left to right take off on the left side of the jump, this way you won't get blown off the track. For me it seems the wind effects me more over the slower smaller jumps where you have less momentum and your just kinda hanging up there. It always feels like the wind wants to blow the bottom out from under me. I've found that you can correct this by giving it gas. The added torque to the rear wheel helps to pull the wheels back underneath you. Other than that remember not to try and stick your leg out make sure to keep the front wheel pointed straight and try to ride it out.