Sign in to follow this  

Will lightening the flywheel help hold wheelies?

I'm having troubles holding the wheelies on my 125. I can get it up no problem but holding it up is the problem.. (hehe)

But seriously, I seem to run out of motor in second gear.. and I cannot shift without the front coming down. I have 2 questions:

1: Those who have done the flywheel mod, does it help with wheelies? Are they easier to hold?

2: Would gearing UP the TTR make it easier? My friend has a stock xr100 with outrageously huge rear sprocket but he can wheelie for ages and shift through all the gears... I'm guessing because its the sprockets and each gear is very close together?

thoughts/opinions?

No, it makes the bike more touchy. Its just something to keep working on. The flywheel lightening is awesome no doubt and well worth it, but i dont think it will help you out that much. Give it a try though. You will most likely be pleased weather it helps you on your wheelies or not.

I'm having troubles holding the wheelies on my 125. I can get it up no problem but holding it up is the problem.. (hehe)

But seriously, I seem to run out of motor in second gear.. and I cannot shift without the front coming down. I have 2 questions:

1: Those who have done the flywheel mod, does it help with wheelies? Are they easier to hold?

2: Would gearing UP the TTR make it easier? My friend has a stock xr100 with outrageously huge rear sprocket but he can wheelie for ages and shift through all the gears... I'm guessing because its the sprockets and each gear is very close together?

thoughts/opinions?

I don't think it's your flywheel that's the issue....

Practice using your clutch, throttle and rear brake to control your wheelies.

With practice, you should be able to wheelie for as long as you want (or until you run out of room) in any gear.

I can ride out really long wheelies using control on the TTR125L or on my CRF 50.

Unfortunately, the KTM 380's got a bit too much "grunt" for my taste for playing, so I don't get too crazy on that.

i have the lightened flywheel, fmf exhaust, yz80 carb, and mod filter box. Now that thing is awake.. it will pull 2nd gear wheelies just lean back a little more and work the throttle..... hhheeeeeeeeee hhaaaaaaaaaaaaawwwww!

This is from a guy who can't wheelie over a puddle. Everyone I know that can wheelie, can wheelie anything, anywhere, and forever. It's just practice, talent, and a knack for doing it. Kind of like juggling. I can't do that either. :thumbsup:

The easiest bike I ever had to wheelie was my YZ450f. I could ride one for a hundred yards and never get it up on the balance point. I was always too chicken. :thumbsup: The bike had the power to keep the wheel up no matter what though. I miss that bike sometimes...

I say you just need to learn to get it on the balance to keep the TTR125 up. It's so underpowered that if you're not back far enough it will instantly come back down.

Once the bike is up, it's all you. If you get good enough, you can hold a wheelie with the motor off (clutch pulled in).