Sign in to follow this  

'03 YZ450 w/ 13.5:1 piston

I ahve an 03 yz450 with a 13.5:1 piston that I just installed in it. The carburetor is completely untouched other than a MSR fuel screw. When I fired the bike up for the first time after the rebuild, it appeared to be running very lean. It would backfire out of the pipe every time I let off the throttle. What would be a good baseline to start my jetting from when switching to a hi-comp piston? The bike also as a full pro-circuit exhaust, and a powernow. My elevation is around 1100 to 1200. Thanks

-Paul

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Nicturner
      Hi fellow thumpers,
      firstly if there is other threads on this topic I apologize.

i have a 2009 KTM 450 exc. I live at 5500 feet. I have a keihin carb. I currently have it set up with 
      green needle (jd kit) @ 4th from the top
      main #175 
      pilot #42
       in setting it up for some desert riding I plan on doing next month (LAB2V). Right  now I’m getting a bog if I rack the throttle a few times. I’m reading this is semi normal as the accelerator pump has a hard time refilling.
      i have put a new diaphragm, spring, lean jet is at #40 and air fuel acre 1 and 1/8 out.

im planning on going back to 172 main, red needle 5th from the top and #45 pilot.
      i normally ride the trails around lake arrowhead and Big bear in California. The trails are single track from 5000-10000 feet.

Anyone see any issues with either set up?
      how about the big if I get on it a few time ( not really noticeable when riding)
      sorry for the questions. This is my first carb I’ve ever worked on. 

Thanks in advance 

• By SNORE125
      Anyone else have 130 main and 38 pilot jets already in the carb I took the wifes ttr 230 carb apart to add the bigger jets and this bike from 05 that I bought new already had them in it? I was reading that they came with a 125 main and a 36 pilot.
    • By Charles Joseph Miron
      Hello all.  Need a helping hand here..  
      I bought an older TT225 and am not about to spend almost $600 on a new carburetor for it. So I'm hoping someone can help me out with an idea of what (other than original carburetor) style, type and brand I should go with..  I'm also having a bit of trouble finding info on this bike.  It's a 1986 Yamaha TT225.  
      Thank you in advanced
      Charles
    • By Br0ck
      Hey guys, I went on vacation all summer and let my bike sit (2002 CR250). When I got back I ripped it apart and cleaned carburetor and put it back together and it started fine and ran alright, but idled really high. I adjusted the idle screw and realized it was a ridiculous amount of turns out. I can't remember exactly how many but id say 6+ turns out. My killswitch was a POS and didn't work anymore so I replaced it with an oem replacement. My last ride I crashed the bike pretty bad and I was off the bike for 2 weeks. I can't get the bike to start ever since I got installed the new killswitch. I think I wired it right I just replaced one wire at a time and it looked pretty straight forward. I verified it by testing spark while holding it in I was getting no spark but with it in running position it would spark. 
      Anyway I am just looking for some base settings for the Mikuni TMX to get my bike running again, my carburetor has a 35 Pilot and 380 Main jet which appear to be stock. I am located in Edmonton, AB, Canada which is about 2500ft and usually ride between 10-25 celcius.
      Thanks for any replies. 
    • By Goon Rides
      Hey guys... so I have a problem... I took the bike at Cal City, broke it in, and while I was doing so, the bike was bogging in first gear (Yes, first gear). Also it doesn't idle at all. I have to keep blipping it otherwise it'll stall. So I adjusted the screw circled in image 1. Well I was listening to the sound of the of the bike, yet the rpm's weren't increasing, and it was still stalling. So then, I unscrewed the screw in image 2, well I found out that it was fully twisted to the right. So then, I twisted it to the left, still nothing; it was still stalling... where's the idle screw? I am sure that the screw in image 1 is for the air/fuel mixture screw, and the screw in image 2 is the idle screw, just broken? I don't know, any and every help would be appreciated.