A new weapon in the war against Eco-Nazis..

A recent TT thread pointed out some off trail activities by the Sierra Club's annual Griffith Park gathering. You can read all about their off trail excursions and cutting new trails.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=629479

This brought on an idea...Visit your local Sierra Club website and view their calander of events. If there is a hike scheduled in your area, take a few moments to photo the site a day or two before and ASAP after the event.

Document and post any environmental infractions.

Going one step further, infiltrate your local Sierra Club and join in on their events.

http://www.sierraclub.org/ca/

Why bother to join? If their events are on public land you can just kind of follow them around, you know, just be an unbiased observer. :thumbsup:

One thing to consider though, unlike the Griffith Park thing, on National Forest land there are no regulations against hikers, equestrians, or mountain bikers going off-trail. Cross country travel for them is 100% okay in our National Forests (except for MTBs in wilderness areas of course).

Why bother to join? If their events are on public land you can just kind of follow them around, you know, just be an unbiased observer. :thumbsup:

One thing to consider though, unlike the Griffith Park thing, on National Forest land there are no regulations against hikers, equestrians, or mountain bikers going off-trail. Cross country travel for them is 100% okay in our National Forests (except for MTBs in wilderness areas of course).

I think MTB are restricted (or at least they will be after the TMP). The route designation is slated for wheeled vehciles not motorized vehicles.

I think MTB are restricted (or at least they will be after the TMP). The route designation is slated for wheeled vehciles not motorized vehicles.

Nope, when I was writing my comments to the DEIS on the Eldorado I asked. The official answer was what I stated above, so I used that information to dispute their assumption that route proliferation is caused by OHV, and that it would stop by restricting OHV use to designated routes with no cross country travel permitted.

And here's the official title of the FEIS for the Eldorado:

Final Environmental Impact Statement

Eldorado National Forest

Public Wheeled Motorized Travel Management EIS

Nope, when I was writing my comments to the DEIS on the Eldorado I asked. The official answer was what I stated above, so I used that information to dispute their assumption that route proliferation is caused by OHV, and that it would stop by restricting OHV use to designated routes with no cross country travel permitted.

And here's the official title of the FEIS for the Eldorado:

Final Environmental Impact Statement

Eldorado National Forest

Public Wheeled Motorized Travel Management EIS

I stand corrected.

You could find out what user created trails were submitted by MTBers then have trail numbers to go along with your statement.

When I was at the Lassen meetings a MTBer wanted to make sure the FS was going to regulate who could ride on his (user-created) trails. The FS the submitted routes will not be restricted by use, but would show up onth emap by who submitted them. Even the user created MTB trails are accessible by all. He wanted to know how we can ride some of the trails we submitted cuz he has to walk his bike on them. I explained that he puts his bike over his shoulder and we drop our shoulder and turn our wrist to get over those logs/rocks etc...

I think its' a great idea, up in the buttermilks west of Bishop the rock climbers have overrun the place leaving trash, cutting tons of trails, and in some cases living for extended periods. I was planning on documenting this and a few other new trails to show the impact of these so called environmentalist.

This goes very much along the lines I have been thinking about. Starting a thread (or website some where) where we can post "Resource Damage" by hikers. Posting pictures with where it happened and when. Then start going to the FS, BLM, the State and National Parks and write complaints about ALL the resource damage being caused by unmanaged hikers!! This is what they use to get us removed from our riding areas, lets get them removed from their hiking area because of TOO MUCH RESOURCE DAMAGE!

"Resource Damage" IS resource damage. This is what they complain about... now it's our turn to start post all the damage and destruction they're causing!

What I would like to do is ANY time you are out on public lands (IT MUST BE A NON-MOTORIZED AREA) or in our STATE or NATIONAL Parks take picture of ALL off trail, user created resource damage. Try to get some sort of land mark in the picture (mountain, road, stream crossing, sign or whatever) so that some one looking at the picture can find that place if they need to. Also note when, put a date on the picture. We'll start shutting down their hiking areas or tie up the courts with law suites about trail density and resource damage.

And do take the time to do as N6MVO suggests, this type of documentation could be VERY useful in court!! HELL! Follow them around taking pictures every time they step off trail on to any vegetation, virgin, or criptobyotic soil, or anything else while their out and tell them what you're doing and why. :thumbsup: (see how they like it) If nothing else you'll get out for a good hike.