Sign in to follow this  

Land use alert. 26 million acres at risk.

Please take note:

April 8, 2008

Liberty Matters

Contact Us

American Land Foundation

Stewards of the Range

Liberty Matters ACTION ALERT

26 Million Acres in Jeopardy

HR 2016 Up For Vote This Week

The House Natural Resource Committee has sent HR 2016, the National Landscape Conservation System bill, to the House floor and could be voted on as early as today. The measure would place 26 million acres under jurisdiction of the National Park Service in the 13 Western States, and could lead to the end of multiple-use on much of those lands.

The legislation codifies a system that former Interior Secretary Bruce Babbitt initiated in 2000. It includes 17 National Conservation Areas, 15 National Monuments, 38 Wild and Scenic Rivers, 161 Wilderness Acres, 5203 miles of National Scenic and Historic Trails, and 604 Wilderness Study Areas -- all in the 13 Western States. Not surprisingly, the bill sponsors are predominantly from the east, and no member from Alaska, Idaho, Montana, Utah or Wyoming is cosponsors. These five states alone have 82% of the Wild and Scenic Rivers, 62% of the National Historic Trails, 45% of the Wilderness Study Areas, and 33% of the National Scenic Trails. Specifically, HR 2016 will:

1. Codify by statute the NLCS, adding an additional layer of bureaucracy to traditionally multi-use BLM lands in the restrictive fashion of the National Park Service.

2. Elevates protecting the values for which the components of the system were designated, above existing management requirements, placing a higher value on landscape preservation than what the existing law provides.

3. Elevates the purposes of conserve, protect, restore above other purposes.

4. Management requirements set forth in the bill are vague, opening an invitation for environmental groups to unduly influence how the lands will be managed.

5. Authorizes land managers to trump access rights and productive uses if viewed to conflict with protecting the values for which the land was designated.

6. Contains no provision where local governments can raise and address local impacts.

The Bush administration has shown no interest in protecting the multiple-use status of the 26 million acres either, as Interior Secretary Kempthorne's staff was sent to testify in favor of the measure. The Senate has already passed the companion bill out of committee, where it is also waiting for a floor vote.

It is imperative to contact your Representative immediately asking them to vote against HR 2016. Any Congressman can be reached by calling 202-225-3121. Don't delay. Remember, the bill could come up for a vote anytime this week, including today, so call immediately.

This crap makes me sick. AMA, BRC, Corva and TT need to start a lobbyist group to fight these things off. Id be willing to pledge $50 a month to support this too.

looks like it's already on to the senate!

i emailed all my politicians in the state.

Man this is some real BS. They seem to want to take land away from the ones that want to enjoy it the most.

It passed the house and is going to the Senate, I sure hope people are writing those letters, making calls, and sending faxes or emails.

I wrote my reps.

I sure hope they listen to our pleas

this is BS!!!!!!

I think there are plenty of other ways for these a holes to spend their time:rolleyes:

The Bush administration has shown no interest in protecting the multiple-use status of the 26 million acres either...

I'm really begining to hate this guy...

You know though, A lot of people complain about stuff like this, but I was at Sleepy Hollow MX once...and people just wrecked the place...then when we were leaving, They were wheeling out of the place and what not. Come on people, it's the few that they catch and ruin it for everyone. Just like me having to walk my bike a mile...cause of cops...just to ride...

You know though, A lot of people complain about stuff like this, but I was at Sleepy Hollow MX once...and people just wrecked the place...then when we were leaving, They were wheeling out of the place and what not. Come on people, it's the few that they catch and ruin it for everyone. Just like me having to walk my bike a mile...cause of cops...just to ride...

This is exactly why we are loosing places to ride. There are to many people that go out and trash the land. Some might not even know they are doing any wrong. Desert/woodland life is very fragile with limited resources for the wildlife that have to live there. When people go tearing up the sagebrush and other vegetation it scars and destroys the land. Stay on the roads/trails that are already there and don't scar the land anymore then it already has been. Leave no trace that you've been there, pack it in pack it out.

It's very sad to go out and see places tore up and trashed. We are loosing lands due to our own ignorance and irresponsibilities. Ride responsibly and don't tear stuff up ... just because you can.

I really had to search to find out what was going on. This paints a more concise picture for us.

http://www.conservationsystem.org/

click on the individual states to get a picture of what the intention is. Click on 'learn more' at What is the Conservation System, also. There are over 600 Wilderness Study areas totalling over 14,000,000 acres that will be permanently protected. That means they will virtually become wilderness without Congress having to pick and chose.

Dave

I'm headed out to Black Rock (happens to be part of that NSA list for Nevada) in May for a relaxing vacation for a week just me and my 2 dogs.

This is the kind of stuff I enjoy looking at BlackRockDesert-HighRockCanyon.jpg

Imagine how that would look after a pack of retards on quads found it. Joking about the quads could be a truck and even guys on 2 wheels.

:thumbsup: So if this gets passed does it mean that we wont be able to use it at all, or does this mean there will be no more motorized travel allowed.

Do you know how we can find out if and when it will be voted on in the Senate?

Dave