SXV 5.5 vs SXV 4.5

So heres the deal.. This Saturday I will be purchasing a SXV. But I don't know which one to get. I commute about 13-15 miles each way to work. 6 of the 15 miles is freeway. I cannot decide which bike to get. the 5.5 or the 4.5..

currently i have a crf 450 r and i have owned a gsxr 600.

also, what are some of the recommended mods to do off the bat?

thanks much!?

My recommendation is: DON'T BUY THE SXV!

Unless you are fully aware that this is a race bike. That won't like to be treated like a commuter bike.

Are you buying an 08? Cause the 07 550 have had their fair share of problems and they are not street legal in california.

i'd be getting an 08 model. the reason i want to get this bike also is because i want to take it to the track several times a month. i have a track pass to willow springs.

even with such a short commute you think its a bad idea???

i have the SXV 450's i used to run CRF 450's the Aprilia is about the same to run as the Honda .

they need 14mm offset clamps and a shock kit to make them work on track , they will out handle any other supermoto on the market and the corner speed you can run is insane as the front end is so planted ,you never get any front patter .

get one you will be sorry you didnt .

i have an 1x06 and 3x07's and have never had a problem with any of them .

Hey!

If you have the experience and the patience to take care of a race bike with all of the maintenace and such then this might be the bike for you.

It all depends on how much you ride the bike. On my super moto I put on about 1000 miles per month. And at that rate I really don't want to do an oil change every 5-10 hours and an engine rebuild after 60 hours.

But if you plan to ride on the track alot, then there is probably no bike that is more fun to do it on.

You can't go wrong with the 08 450 or 550. If you going to use it a bunch for the street the 550 may be better for you. For track use i'm always jumping from one to the other there both so much fun. A lot depends on the tracks you ride them on. I use the SXV at many track days and run them all day and change the oil after three full track days and even then the oil still looks good. Your dealer has a few Maps for the EFI to make it run great even with the stock pipe. They should do this upgrade at no charge ands is faster then a jetting change. Aprilia has a Race pipe and EFI setting that you can get at your dealer also. I run the stock pipe most of the time.....Yes its a race bike with lights but thats what makes it so great. I have done over 250 miles on a street ride in a day before and its a blast but your sure tired out but no more the a say a R1. There is a lot of after market stuff out there now but for the normal guy you dont need to do much for the track. The biggest change I do is set up the stock Sus and I put a 16.5 front on, if you can spend the cash stiffer springs and a revalve helps to.

i am extremely excited. i cant even express how stoked i am about getting this bike tomorrow. i think i will probly end up getting the 450 because im a little scared of what the 550 can actually do. perhaps the dealer may change my mind tomorrow.

Kimball!

The price difference is soo small that you might as well go with the 550.

Then atleast you won't be sorry later if you get bored with the 450!

I have also heard that it is better to go with the bigger engine if you are

going to ride the bike on the street.

Let us know what you think of it after you try it, and take some pictures of

it!! ?

So i called spectrum motorsports today and i guess they sold my 450!!

dang i guess ill just have to get the 550 ?

what a shame.. LOL

any riders in the pasadena area or san gabriel valley that would like to go ride tomorrow?

Ok well now i cant pick up my bike till tuesday because they screwed up on my credit app.

here the price breakdown. tell me what you think. and if you think i should get a better deal.

sxv 5.5: 8569.00

Freight: 395.00

Setup w. derestricting: 595.00

Docs: 55.00

Licence:125.00

+ 1400.00 of gear.

otd = $11,930 @ 10.99%

Ok well now i cant pick up my bike till tuesday because they screwed up on my credit app.

here the price breakdown. tell me what you think. and if you think i should get a better deal.

sxv 5.5: 8569.00

Freight: 395.00

Setup w. derestricting: 595.00

Docs: 55.00

Licence:125.00

+ 1400.00 of gear.

otd = $11,930 @ 10.99%

All the frieght docking and setup fee's are BS:naughty: ....you should be able to get it for under $9G's OTD:prof:

Actually there really are freight and set up charges. I sell these things everyday. But, what they are asking for frieght and setup are a little on the exterme side about 200 for each would be fair. As far as wanting either bikes the 550 is the best hands down and i highly recomend doing the 16.5 front rim drastically improve handling and braking for the average rider the 550 does not need anything to give it more power its allready crazy!?