More Sierra Club Stuff

:thumbsup: I thought this would go along well with the other Sierra Club threads that are going around right now.

Check out this thread in the "Land Use" Forum:

Read This Crap!

The linked document (Sierra Club ORV Handbook) is some wild stuff, gives you a little better idea of what we are up against. Definitely worthwhile to at least scan through the "Handbook". I saved a copy so I could go through it some more later, after just a few pages I had to stop before I puked!

SleeperDRZ originally made mention of the following portion of the "handbook"

(Sorry for the formatting - PDFs are a bitch to copy & paste)

CLOSE AN AREA OR TRAIL

The Forest Service is required to close trails or areas to destructive use of off-road motor vehicles when considerable

resource damage has been shown to occur.

By using the information given in this section, we will be successful without having to go to court. Environmentalists are

not suit-happy. We earnestly desire that conflicts be resolved in an amicable way. But we will not stand idle while the

environment is harmed.

Go forth with your camera. Snap a photo of the ugly hill- climb scars, the eroding streambanks, the crushed alpine tundra,

and the wheel-rut mazes through moist meadows. Send a copy of the photo with a letter which details the location of the

resource damage and uses the phrase, "Please immediately close this area to ORMVs as required under 36 CFR 295.5."

Send the letter to the Forest Supervisor and the District Ranger in charge.

The CFRs give citizens the right to "monitor" and their input can and will "indicate that considerable adverse effects are

occurring." Remember, one adverse effect is "user conflict." We are advising a wonderful, legal tactic.

Next time you're on

a hike and a dirt bike roars by, get 40 friends to all call or write to the Forest Supervisor and say, "We demand immediate

closure of the trail to dirt bikes because user conflicts indicate that considerable adverse effects are occurring." The effect is

to publicize the "user conflict" aspect of ORMV use on public lands, which the regulations stipulate shall trigger action

from the managing agency.

We must restrain ourselves, choose our most threatened and most cherished areas, and save them first.

Good luck! Have

some quiet fun.

Of course that document was published in 1991, so its probably a little tame by today's standards. :thumbsup:

Here is some more, right off their website:

Sierra Club Policy on Off-Road Use of Motorized Vehicles

I usually don't like to post links, but this shit is just too much to cut and paste all of the text. :thumbsup:

Mmmm...

That's some good sh*t! :thumbsup:

"I gonna rip off your head and puke down your dead skull" - Jack Nicolson

I say we send in Jack!

8. The Sierra Club does not consider wheelchairs, when used as necessary medical devices, to be vehicles.

well...that settles it! My 650 is a necessary medical device (aka: 2 wheeled wheel chair) which allows me to relax and relieve pain & stress caused by dwindling bank account and nagging boss.

Why not?

If the stoners can get a doc to sign off on their bag of skunk, why couldn’t I get a doc to sign off on my BRP?

my dad had the doc sign off on hydro therapy 3 times a week. That was water skiing in the summer and snow skiing in the winter

Shoudn't be to hard to find some brown sign stock and some open stickers.

To any sierra clubber reading this, that is what normal people call sarcasm, you can remove the panties from your ass crack now.

Shoudn't be to hard to find some brown sign stock and some open stickers.

To any sierra clubber reading this, that is what normal people call sarcasm, you can remove the panties from your ass crack now.

this is a good idea. anyone know where we can make the blm trail signs and start making trails open? its one way to protest. :thumbsup:

I'm referencing this document in my appeal to show the abuse of "snitch" forms that can be downloaded off the internet. UGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!

Here's an interesting article on the double standards of the sierra club: http://www.dailynews.com/ci_8857310?source=rv

Basically sierra club hiking groups making their own trails:foul: and getting caught:applause: .

my dad had the doc sign off on hydro therapy 3 times a week. That was water skiing in the summer and snow skiing in the winter

:ride: That is classic! :thumbsup:

:confused: I remember many occasions where I told the attendance office in high school that I was late for school because I had been at the Hydrotherapist on mornings that I had stayed out surfing too long to get to school on time (didn't work because I didn't have a note), and a few times getting off work early to go water skiing by telling the boss I had a Hydrotherapist appointment (that did work). :thumbsup:

Okay, now back on topic. Here are a few items that I posted in the Land Use Forum thread that really jumped out at me. These are from the first few pages of the Sierra Club ORV Handbook:

• According to the Geological Society of America, where ORV use is heavy, virtually all existing life is ultimately destroyed.

• The noise level generated by a single motorcycle is approximately 10,000,000 times greater than that experienced by a person in a quiet suburban residential area.

• In a 1988 survey 75.1% of those surveyed wanted more protection of ecology. Fifty-three percent wanted less areas open for off-road vehicles (or to eliminate them entirely) while only 16.9% wanted more areas open for ORVs. Seventeen and seven-tenths percent wanted more roads for 4-wheel drive use, while 44.1% wanted less roads or to eliminate them. Fifty-eight and twotenths percent wanted more wilderness. This statewide California survey has a margin of error of plus or minus 3.2%.
    ORV use, if unregulated, becomes an infringement on other people's right to recreation.
    *I'm familiar with that survey, it was taken, and the forms were made available at hiking trailheads, ski resorts, etc. The OHV community was very uninvolved as the survey forms were not made available in locations we usually frequent.

• Damage by ORVs in even the least vulnerable areas will require periods for recovery measured in centuries or millennia.

Liberals always have a flare for the dramatic don't they?

Stop having babies, yes you heard me stop having babies.......The biggest threat to the environment is population growth. Tell the Sierra "Nazi" Club to stop procreating and stop living in urban areas; the expansion of urban areas to provide housing for us all is more threatening to the environment than all us Offroading folk.

Where my house stands now was a great place to offroad 12 years ago.

Obviously I speak out of spite, their argument is ignorant. Yeah a trail is rutted out but what about the housing track that is there now.

Sorry, I rant because the radical fanatics just piss me off. I'll stop now before I get banned for obscenities.

Jim "the quad riding A-hole Sierra Club Hater" Lacey

That is all :thumbsup:

You guys are missing the tools.

SleeperDRZ originally made mention of the following portion of the "handbook"

(Sorry for the formatting - PDFs are a bitch to copy & paste)

CLOSE AN AREA OR TRAIL

The Forest Service is required to close trails or areas to destructive use of off-road motor vehicles when considerable

resource damage has been shown to occur.

By using the information given in this section, we will be successful without having to go to court. Environmentalists are

not suit-happy. We earnestly desire that conflicts be resolved in an amicable way. But we will not stand idle while the

environment is harmed.

Go forth with your camera. Snap a photo of the ugly hill- climb scars, the eroding streambanks, the crushed alpine tundra,

and the wheel-rut mazes through moist meadows. Send a copy of the photo with a letter which details the location of the

resource damage and uses the phrase, "Please immediately close this area to ORMVs as required under 36 CFR 295.5."

Send the letter to the Forest Supervisor and the District Ranger in charge.

The CFRs give citizens the right to "monitor" and their input can and will "indicate that considerable adverse effects are

occurring." Remember, one adverse effect is "user conflict." We are advising a wonderful, legal tactic.

Next time you're on

a hike and a dirt bike roars by, get 40 friends to all call or write to the Forest Supervisor and say, "We demand immediate

closure of the trail to dirt bikes because user conflicts indicate that considerable adverse effects are occurring." The effect is

to publicize the "user conflict" aspect of ORMV use on public lands, which the regulations stipulate shall trigger action

from the managing agency.

We must restrain ourselves, choose our most threatened and most cherished areas, and save them first.

Good luck! Have

some quiet fun.

Here's an interesting article on the double standards of the sierra club: http://www.dailynews.com/ci_8857310?source=rv

Basically sierra club hiking groups making their own trails:foul: and getting caught:applause: .

YOU NEED TO FORMAT A LETTER AND SEND THIS TO ALL YOU STATE AND FEDERAL REPRESENTATIVES IMMEADITLY! DEMAND EQUAL TREATMENT! IF IT’S GOOD FOR US IT’S GOOD FOR THEM.

Don’t let this go unnoticed by the Government officials of land managers!

Write letters and demand change in the laws and equal treatment!! AND DON'T TAKE NO FOR AN ANSWER!!

NOTE, All these things happen in hiking areas and on hiking trails just the same. Hiking trails are no different than ANY other type of trail.

WILDLIFE: Arid areas closed to ORV use have more species of animals, more individuals, and more biomass. According

to the Geological Society of America, where ORV use is heavy, virtually all existing life is ultimately destroyed.

WATER: As much as 90% of the surface soil moisture is lost along some ORV trails, and the loss even as deep as three

feet has been found to be 14% at several sites.

PLANTS: ORVs often cause injury to plant roots by breakage and soil compaction, so that larger perennials eventually die,

although perhaps appearing at first to be unharmed. A study of 16 desert sites revealed that "moderate" ORV use reduced

shrub biomass by about 50% and heavy use reduced the biomass by 70%. Denuded areas, if not artificially reclaimed, may

require many centuries for complete recovery, if in fact such recovery is even possible.

AIR: ORVs were exempted from EPA requirements established under the original Clean Air Act. In addition to emissions

of greenhouse gasses, ORVs can emit quantities of lead into the environment. Dust storms originating in ORV use areas

have been detected by satellite observation. The Barstow to Los Vegas ORV race in 1974 generated more than 600 tons of

airborne particles by direct mechanical erosion.

SOIL: All data indicate that the natural stability of soils is damaged by vehicle use. Soil erosion becomes severe if the slope

READ and STUDY this document. READ and STUDY their references. START using this information to fight back. Use the same tactics and DON'T STOP until we destroy their creditability.

Start taking pictures of All the off trails resource damage in non-motorized areas and State and National Parks. ESPECIALLY around camping areas in State and National Parks where the worst resource damage is done! I want to show land managers and government representatives the proof.

AND DON'T JUST SIT THERE IN FRONT OF YOUR COMPUTER BITCHING! ACTUALLY DO SOMETHING!!:thumbsup:

Here's an idea... at least once a month get together with your riding buddies (ones who'll stick with you) and go for a ride (take camera for pictures). THEN afterwards, when you're having a beer with them... brainstorm! Have some one in the group write down the ideas. Ask one or more of the wifes to help write things down if you have to. Next time you ride and have your beers think about how you'll implement those ideas, with help from your wives or SO. Next time instead of riding first DO your plan. When you have DONE THIS THEN go riding as a reward for accomplishing your goals. (i.e. accomplish your goals on Saturday, ride Sunday and feel great) Then start the process over... ride... beer and ideas in writing, ride... beer and plan in writing, execute plan... ride and beer... repeat. This will give you a reason to ride with your buddies at least once a month because it's planned once a month every month.

Watch this make your friendships stronger and save your riding areas.

Or... sit at home alone, bitch and do nothing because you did nothing.

Great Avatar Cloud9! I'm going to reference both of the Sierra Club manuals in my appeal and was already planning on fighting fire with fire. If those "snitch" forms become downloadable off the 'net, then standby 'cause we're snitching. I want to take them off the 'net because abuse will surely happen, especially if they (SC) follow they're "bylaws."

One thing I have noticed is that in the spring it seems that there is a lot of new plant growth in tire ruts from the previous year, most likely due to water collecting. In other words, offroading is good for the enviroment, but I doubt there will be any studies on this.

Stop having babies, yes you heard me stop having babies.......The biggest threat to the environment is population growth. Tell the Sierra "Nazi" Club to stop procreating and stop living in urban areas; the expansion of urban areas to provide housing for us all is more threatening to the environment than all us Offroading folk.

Where my house stands now was a great place to offroad 12 years ago.

Obviously I speak out of spite, their argument is ignorant. Yeah a trail is rutted out but what about the housing track that is there now.

Sorry, I rant because the radical fanatics just piss me off. I'll stop now before I get banned for obscenities.

Jim "the quad riding A-hole Sierra Club Hater" Lacey

That is all :thumbsup:

This is what really kills me. :thumbsup: How about protecting farm land from development and forget about the rocks in moab having tire marks:banghead: