Penny Pines solo ride 4/7

I needed to get out of dodge for a day so I played hookie on Monday to explore Penny Pines. I came from the Pillsbury side of Elk Mountain Road and stopped at the first trail crossing I saw, unloaded and went for a ride.

I had no map but a generally good sense of direction and headed down that first trail I saw, the sign read "willow creek trail". It wound through the woods for a bit then ran into a fire road and the signs said to go right. A couple miles later I found where it turned right again onto a single track and proceded down an awesome twisty trail that traversed and decended through areas that turned from wooded areas to brush.

At one point on the way down I thought I was passing someone who had gone to take a piss and realized that someone had just crashed their old suzuki into a tree and left it there for dead.

Soon after I hit the creekbed (willow creek I'm guessing) and there's a bit of a screw around area down there. It's kind of a natural break/regroup spot before climbing back up and out of there. The trail snakes up and is fairly steep which made for a fun ride. Here I remember I brought a camera and snap a few pics.

The trail down the ridge to the creek

IMG_2381.jpg

Some of the creekbed

IMG_2385.jpg

Some hansome guy

IMG_2384.jpg

I kept climbing up the snake trail and found a nice clearing and place to take a drink and another picture. Snow Mountain in the background.

IMG_2387.jpg

I kept going straight but was tempted by this trail. Good thing I didn't take it becuase after consulting the OHV designated trail map I realized that this trail (NF-9W25) up Bevans Ridge doesn't actually exist anymore and certainly wouldn't take me across rice fork to rice creek road and :thumbsup::thumbsup: That route is back to nature and bad juju.

IMG_2388.jpg

Gotta run so this is ending short but Trail 38 looped back around was a blast and I can't wait to explore the area more. :confused:

I did that same loop on Sunday. I came across that old Suzuki on the trail. It was been ripped apart. No pipe, no carb, the handle bars were laying on the tank, no throttle, clutch or brake. I want to know who the ********* is that left it there. It's going to be a bitch to get out of there.

Nice Report

Anybody know if the old bike is 4X4 accessible? Id be more than happy to drive the truck down in there and pull the pos out.

No it is not, or else I would of driven down and thrown it into my truck. It's a mile or two from the nearest road, and trail has some climbs in it. I had a tow strap with me, but you'd need to have some bar mounts to bolt the bars to the triple clamp and have someone sit on the bike while you tow it out.

At this point I think the easiest thing would be to break down the rest of the bike and haul it out as parts on a 4X4 quad with front and rear racks.

No it is not, or else I would of driven down and thrown it into my truck. It's a mile or two from the nearest road, and trail has some climbs in it. I had a tow strap with me, but you'd need to have some bar mounts to bolt the bars to the triple clamp and have someone sit on the bike and while you tow it out.

At this point I think the easiest thing would be to break down the rest of the bike and haul it out as parts on a 4X4 quad with front and rear racks.

Crap, thats too bad. Thats the last thing we need in that area is trash, especially dead bikes. Im going to contact a friend in the Upper Lake area and see if he wants to go out with his quad and help me pull it out. Thanks for the response NorCal.. Worst case scenario, we can get a few guys up there, take it all apart and hoof it out. :thumbsup: If I am correct on the area its in, it wont be easy, but worth it just to get the damn thing out of there.

I think a 4x4 quad could get in there and maybe tow it out if someone could get the handlebars back on it. That or break it down and two or three trips and it could get out. There's a full on road that comes within about two miles of the thing.

More pictures next time.

Crap, thats too bad. Thats the last thing we need in that area is trash, especially dead bikes. Im going to contact a friend in the Upper Lake area and see if he wants to go out with his quad and help me pull it out. Thanks for the response NorCal.. Worst case scenario, we can get a few guys up there, take it all apart and hoof it out. :thumbsup: If I am correct on the area its in, it wont be easy, but worth it just to get the damn thing out of there.

It's on the most northern part of 38, about halfway between the creekbed and the road.

Clack did you read the private message I sent you?

If it is a sigletrack dont ruin it with a quad. One quad = 1000

Leave it there long enoguh and it will become "historically significant" and we can then register it with the heritage foundation and keep it for all eternity (and the trail that leads to it).

It's not singletrack. I see quads on that trail from time to time, even though the map suggest quads not to go on it.

Leave it there long enoguh and it will become "historically significant" and we can then register it with the heritage foundation and keep it for all eternity (and the trail that leads to it).

Heh. I was thinking to myself "this thing has probably been here for 10 years".

Was that your first time on that trail? The bike was dumped there sometime in the last 3 months.

Anyway, how long did it take you to get from the Pilsbury side to where you staged? I have been thinking of driving from Penny Pines towards Pillsbury but didn't know how long it would take me.

The bike was moved a bit, kind of like the Husky momument.

I do know od a Husky frame and motor a Cow as well.

Taking Elk Mtn Rd from Upper Lake to Pilsbury is quicker than going 20 to Potter Valley, but the road is not as good.

Was that your first time on that trail? The bike was dumped there sometime in the last 3 months.

Anyway, how long did it take you to get from the Pilsbury side to where you staged? I have been thinking of driving from Penny Pines towards Pillsbury but didn't know how long it would take me.

Should only take you about 45 minutes.

The bike was moved a bit, kind of like the Husky momument.

I do know od a Husky frame and motor a Cow as well.

Yep, Ive seen that one. There is an old Yammie up there as well, off in the brush.

that Suzuki has been at different points on that hill for years. At least since I started riding in 2001.

I was out there on Monday too... Rode some of the Horse mtn trails then did 38 (clockwise.) I didn't even hear another motor all day. glad we didn't (literally) run into you. The trails near Penny Pines are really bad.

I've heard that that bike (thought it was a yamaha) has been out there for years too.