IT'S LIVE! Full Review 2019 Honda CRF450L!!! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

One DRZ'er restored my faith in eBay, at least for a bit.

Seems lately that all I buy on eBay is junk. I've been burned on about the last 4 ebay transactions. Cell phone batteries that are supposed to be new and end up being used pieces of crap. A sidepanel for my YZ project that wasn't even the one pictured [left side instead of right side as pictured] etc...

So the other day I found some DRZ radiator shrouds that looked to be in good shape (as best as I could tell viewing the crappy digi pics) and were listed as in 'excellent' condition... so of course I was leery.

I decided to risk it and sniped them at the last minute for what I thought was a very fair price. They showed up... and low and behold, they looked almost like they were new. Woo hoo... finally, an honest eBayer. [although he did overcharge me on 'actual', shipping... but since they were so nice I didn't even whine about it.]

Nice to hear that. I haven't bought much off of ebay lately becasue it always seemed a 50-50 chance of getting the shaft one way or another. Perhaps it's time for me to try again and see what happens.

Never mind e-bay is hosing sellers now as well.

I think the honest individuals have given up on it.

That said I have a couple auctions going. But I know darn well TT'rs don't want to pay me what I am asking for parts. :thumbsup:

i hear you.

usually the stuff i bid on that is described as not perfect and such turns out to be much better than the "excellent" stuff i get.

ive thrown many a ebay purchase directly in the garbage.

sellers that dont grasp the concept of proper packing kill me.

took me 3 tries to get a cb900f cylinder that didnt have multiple broken fins.

one jerk put the cylinder in a box with not one shred of packing.

I've done pretty well there, but one time I purchased a bike specific bolt kit. Came in a "puffy" brown env.

When I opened it, it was a big bag of new washers!

I thought I was being scammed, but the seller originally purchased it from a bolt company, and never opened it himself.

Seller went after the company, company was embarrassed, I was sent the right thing after all.

I try not to spend too much, basically I spend what I feel I can be "burned" on without caring.

Yip, side panel for YZ went straight to the trash, they of course offered to refund my money if I shipped it back. Crap, it took a month to get it, I'm sure that refund would have been really quick too. I figured I was better off just pitching it.

I bought a side panel for my magna, supposedly in excellent shape. Thing was sent in a cardboard box with no packing material... if it started out in excellent shape, it sure wasn't when it made it to me.

Makes you wonder how someone can be so stupid.

I try not to spend too much, basically I spend what I feel I can be "burned" on without caring.

Exactly, I don't know how people buy autos and bikes sight unseen and have them shipped. I would never do that... you are just asking to get a costly life lesson.

I used to buy quite a bit on Ebay but now I sell twice as much than I buy.

I had a string of bad transactions a while back where all I ended up buying was pure JUNK!

I now have a zero tolerance policy with inconsiderate sellers: I pay everything through paypal with my credit card and if the item is not as described or is damaged due to improper packing it goes right back to the seller and I initiate a charge back through my credit card company (don't bother with paypal, their buyer protection is 100% junk).

Alot of people on ebay can be jerks. Im a power seller and sell computers and parts at wholesale pricing. Everything I sell is Brand new, and if its broke, Ill replace it no questions asked.

When looking for stuff, dont look for price, look for the seller. Say you want an ASV lever, look for the guy that actually sells them from the company directly. Most companys will have an ebay account to sell their clearance items for a good price. You wont get it as low as an individual seller, but still, prices arent that bad and you have some support.

I bought my ASV F3 clutch lever that was refurbished from the ASV seller for $40. Its perfect. They even package it right.

Some cheepa$$es will charge you $20 to ship something and they dont even package it. Not good.

I myself buy and sell quite a bit on ebay. Most of it is just doing your homework and researching the seller. I have had very good luck buying things on there myself. I sell all kinds of different things on there and have had great transactions. I have become kind of strict when I sell things all due to ONE guy leaving me my first ever negative feedback, but it all seems to work out really good.

As far as packaging goes, I run a shipping dept. so needless to say, my stuff ships out in a bullet proof packaging job.

If anyone is interested in HO scale slot cars, I just happen to know a guy who is selling some, LOL. :thumbsup:

Exactly, I don't know how people buy autos and bikes sight unseen and have them shipped. I would never do that... you are just asking to get a costly life lesson.

I have actually bought some cars and bikes on ebay and had good luck. I found on the high dollar stuff that a ten minute phone call is better than a million emails. You can tell the good sellers from the dirt bags pretty quickly.

I did just get a DRZ speedo cable that was in "working" condition that went straight in the garbage. "Working" was used pretty losely but it wasn't worth sending back.:thumbsup:

When you get "crap" on ebay - make sure you file a claim via paypal.

If you're really sweating buying an item and dont trust the seller, use a credit card with paypal. Even if a dispute failed, you can still chargeback and essentially hold a trump card... Not true of bank transfers, which is why paypal tries to force bank transfers.

I bought a set of a arms for a atv that were supposed to be in excellent condition and they were except for the threads on the ball joints .The guy used a hammer to seperate them from the spindle . Ruined Them ! I didn't even look at them for a month so i had to take the loss . I look everything over as soon as i get it now.

Guess I must be one of the 'lucky' ones....I've 174 transactions between selling/buying (more buying than selling) and haven't had any disappointments, other than the retard who left me a negative feedback for the box I shipped being wet (yeah, I soaked the package in the bathtub for a few days before I sent it to him, just for a good laugh. What a f***er!). Anyway, Ebay's been good to me; I routinely make at least one transaction per week. I'm pretty leery about what I buy, though; I normally end up asking a few questions before I buy something - even if the product is described well and looks satisfactory. I try to be as sure as I can about it before I buy, so I don't end up disappointed later on. For what I sell, I make sure to list any damage/imperfections or otherwise to the best of my ability so the buyer knows what he's getting. I can't stand scammers or being scammed, and wouldn't intentionally do it to anyone for a quick buck. IMO, I thing Ebay is a great thing. You just have to be careful when buying stuff so you don't get ripped off!

If you're really sweating buying an item and dont trust the seller, use a credit card with paypal.

ALWAYS use a credit card. Anything else (bank transfer, checks, money orders) is like paying cash and once it leaves your hand you won't see it again.

Credit cards give you 100% protection for 90 days. There is no better insurance and it's free for the buyer, wether online or at your local store.

Don't bother filing a claim with paypal unless you have a lot of time to waste and like being jerked around. They are an Ebay company and like Ebay are seller biased. The claim process is a real PITA and designed to make the buyer give up on his claim.

I used to buy quite a bit but I have slowed down considerably. Either I have all I want now or my extra income is going in my gas tank and I can't afford it. Probably the latter.

Overall I have been pleased with my purchases. Like someone else posted I got taken on the "NEW" cell phone batteries as well. MY new 3.9 Clarke tank for less than a $100 was a steal. Win some and loose some I guess.

I have bought scientific equipment (pumps, electronics, instrument control components) for my job off ebay for many years and indeed lately I am getting a lot more parts that are described as in working condition but turn out to be broken.

Prices have gone up quite a bit, too. There has been a shift from smaller sellers to larger brokerage companies.

In some cases that still saves money as many companies "refurbish" broken equipment for ~1/2 price of new and you get a new part anyways.

Of course that is not true for most items one buys for personal use.

There are a lot of honest small companies out there though who sell good and fair priced stuff on ebay and deliver great customer service as well.

I try to avoid used items on e-bay. I got my unabiker rad guards on there, and they came in great shape. I dont think I've been "hosed" yet. Yet being key word.

I sell a lot of motorcycle parts on eBay. I clearly mark if they are used or new and I painfully describe the condition and even High res photograph most of the used parts when they are still dirty so people don't get the impression they are brand new.

and my return policy is very simple. if it's a cheap part, I refund the money and tell the customer to toss it, or if it's truly a good part and the customer is simply being difficult, I simply relist it and sell it to someone else, have the original customer ship it, and give a full refund.

It's always better to make the one unreasonable person happy then to stir up a hornets nest.

I sold a shock once that ended up needing a rebuild, had the shock rebuilt at no charge to the customer, and refunded 33% ($200) just because of the PITA.

I have learned that proper packing makes a huge difference. But it costs me a lot to properly pack items. i don'y think a lot of buyers understand that to pack something properly costs a lot of money and tends to drive up those "shipping" costs.

I sell a lot of motorcycle parts on eBay. I clearly mark if they are used or new and I painfully describe the condition and even High res photograph most of the used parts when they are still dirty so people don't get the impression they are brand new.

and my return policy is very simple. if it's a cheap part, I refund the money and tell the customer to toss it, or if it's truly a good part and the customer is simply being difficult, I simply relist it and sell it to someone else, have the original customer ship it, and give a full refund.

It's always better to make the one unreasonable person happy then to stir up a hornets nest.

I sold a shock once that ended up needing a rebuild, had the shock rebuilt at no charge to the customer, and refunded 33% ($200) just because of the PITA.

I have learned that proper packing makes a huge difference. But it costs me a lot to properly pack items. i don'y think a lot of buyers understand that to pack something properly costs a lot of money and tends to drive up those "shipping" costs.

I've had more than one person e-mail me and complain that I charged them $12.00 to ship a part and the postage listed on the package $9.85. Like bubble wrap, tape and boxes are free. Not to mention the time to drop it off at UPS or the USPS. Recently had a guy complain about shipping costs. It said $18 to the USA only and he wanted to know why I charged him more to ship to Canada.