Sign in to follow this  

bolt leaking oil?

theres a bolt on the right side o the engine that is leaking oil out of it it tried tighting it and it just keeps spinning?:thumbsup: It just started last night. let me know if the pics dont show up.

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q111/hondaracer9551/P4080023.jpg

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q111/hondaracer9551/P4080022.jpg

need help fast suppose to go riden this weekend. any help will be appriciated

Same thing happend to my kx250f. but on the drain bolt. You could probally just wrap it in thread tape but idk if ide do that. Use a slightly oversized bolt.(if your not going to take this bolt out again) or use a heli coil.

That bolt holds the decompression plug in. It sounds like you have stripped the threads out of it. A helicoil is a thread repair kit that is kind of like a threaed insert. You can buy them at any automotive store and many hardware stores. Just bring the bolt to the store and get one for that size. They come with directions on how to use them. If you don't feel comfortable doing it, get a shop to do it for you.

i dont know how it would have been stripped unless the guy before me did it but ill drain the oil out and go get one. thanks for help. my pap thinks i should drill out the hole an re tap it but the other way seems easier lol

i dont know how it would have been stripped unless the guy before me did it but ill drain the oil out and go get one. thanks for help. my thinks i should drill out the hole an re tap it but the other way seems easier lol

For a heli coil you drill, tap, insert coil. This lets you use the original size bolt.

Also, the reslting threads made by a Heli coil are stronger than the stock, plain aluminum ones. In aircraft, they Heli Coil every tapped bolt in alloy.

When you drill it, coat the drill bit in grease. Drill slowly, keep the bit square to the hole. Dril a little, clean and re-grease the bit, dirll some more. Be cognizant of the dpeth you need to go, do not over drill it. When you tap the hole, do the same with the tap. Grease, Tap, Clean, Grease, Tap and so on to proper depth. Work slow and smart.

Keep the hole clean too, use Q-tips to wipe it out, I also use Benzine (Naptha) to make it surgically clean after I have it wiped out.

Exact same thing happened to me. Got it Heli Coil'd at the stealership, $80 I think. I should've done it myself:bonk: . Good luck on getting it fixed. If doing it yourself, make sure you don't get metal shavings in there.