Antigravity Batteries Giveaways: Winners Announced! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

Let's talk $$$: 2008 TE450 -vs- dualsporting 2008 WR450F

I just posted this in the dualsport/adventure seciton, and spent a few minutes totalling up what it would cost to dualsport one of the "big 4" Japanese 450F bikes, and here's what I came up with:

2008 Husqvarna TE450, $7698. 100% 50 state DOT legal, ready to go

2008 Yamaha WR450F, $7199. - let's make this baby 100% street legal, prices below include tax/shipping:

+ DOT tires @ $160.

+ Dualsport kit $490 (Baja designs 12-1229)

+ Stator Rewind @ $50 (Baja designs can do this)

+ Illuminated speedo (not required in all states) $100.

+ Mirrors and mounts $50.

+ Your time to install all of this

Total: $850. - granted you can cut corners, but I'm attempting to compare "apples to apples" here.

So that brings the cost of the Yamaha up to $8049.

We'll call the "silencer and desmogging" and the tax/lic a wash here as both bikes would "need" those items
:thumbsup:
This list assumes that you want a bike that is really legit street legal, which is not everyone.

The Husqvarna still has the following advantages:

- Fuel injection

- Easier maintenance

- No DMV/Title worries

- Hydraulic clutch, etc

I think I know what my choice would be... am I missing anything here?

When your state starts enforcing DOT/EPA rules to get fed. $$$ for highways your behind about 8g with the Yammi, ask the Cali boys who had KTM and other non approved titles/tags recalled last year.

About another grand to comfort equip the TE :-) Not sure about the WR, as it may also be a wash.

New exhaust (power up kit or equiv) $300, redo seat $300, stabilizer $400, sprockets $50, bulbs, new rear tire $75. To be honest I'm kinda low on those prices.

It's not a cheap sport.

I was so close to buying the KLX 450 but then I started reading the Husky forums and now Im leaning that way. It sounds to me like the Husky is the better bike for the money. I dont want the Honda or the Yamaha.....well because everyone else has one and Pumpkins are to expensive.

I do have a question though. Does anyone have a Rekluse clutch for their '08 TE 450 yet? I noticed on the Rekluse website its not listed. I ride one handed (Left lower arm missing). I currently just clutch with my stump on my YZ400 but my new bike will need to be Rekluse friendly as Im tired of having to lean foward

Anyone in southern California that know where the dealers are with the best prices? I dont mind driving a few hours.

I will be test fitting a preproduction 08 husky Rekluse in the next few days / week. Should be good to go very soon. :thumbsup:

Anyone in southern California that know where the dealers are with the best prices? I dont mind driving a few hours.

Might want to search, call around, or start a new thread. Think this thread is about comparing dual sporting Husky vs yamaha, etc. Yes it has been posted that Rekluse for 08 is coming out & think another vendor as well for an autoclutch.

Not sure why anyone would pick a WR and all the effort to convert it when the TE450/510 is all ready to go and even comes with better stock parts.

ONE ARM Bandit,

I salute you!!!!!!!!!! talk about the just get out and ride attitude!!!!

Do you use any prosthetic device?? I have seen one that stays with the bike is case of get off,,but also supports the arm stump in its socket with a quick release type deal. To give the option of extra support and steering input as well. Good news from Ride on the 08 version of the Rekluse,,, how about a sponsorship deal for One Arm Bandit,,,,,,makes a good publicity shot for Rekluse!! ( I know I am out of line here....) R

No, i have no prosthetic device...but I have been thinking about getting one...

I would love to see any designs available. I ride in Southern Ca. but have never seen anyone else like me. Where in Ca. are you located?

OOPS...sorry Coffee...Ill move it somewhere else

Not a huge deal, just trying to keep some semblance of order. There is a fellow that was in "On Any Sunday" the guy early in the show that lived in Tiberon(?) - believe he specializes in bikes setups for people that are not complete. I've got a few people in my family like that, but they don't ride bikes.

Feel free to start a new thread about it in here with Husky in the title or in the general section you would get more info.

I will be test fitting a preproduction 08 husky Rekluse in the next few days / week. Should be good to go very soon. :thumbsup:

Will we be getting the choice of a pro this year, or just the standard again?

paul

On the bike comparison, don't forget the WR may be impossible to plate depending on what state you buy it in. Not an issue with the TE.

Last time I chated with the boys at Rekluse they were availiable, but wait for the z-start pro, it should be ready anytime, and they say its worth the wait.

Spoke with Al (owner of Rekluse) today and they are pretty much done.

I just posted this in the dualsport/adventure seciton, and spent a few minutes totalling up what it would cost to dualsport one of the "big 4" Japanese 450F bikes, and here's what I came up with:

2008 Husqvarna TE450, $7698. 100% 50 state DOT legal, ready to go

2008 Yamaha WR450F, $7199. - let's make this baby 100% street legal, prices below include tax/shipping:

+ DOT tires @ $160.

+ Dualsport kit $490 (Baja designs 12-1229)

+ Stator Rewind @ $50 (Baja designs can do this)

+ Illuminated speedo (not required in all states) $100.

+ Mirrors and mounts $50.

+ Your time to install all of this

Total: $850. - granted you can cut corners, but I'm attempting to compare "apples to apples" here.

So that brings the cost of the Yamaha up to $8049.

We'll call the "silencer and desmogging" and the tax/lic a wash here as both bikes would "need" those items
:thumbsup:
This list assumes that you want a bike that is really legit street legal, which is not everyone.

The Husqvarna still has the following advantages:

- Fuel injection

- Easier maintenance

- No DMV/Title worries

- Hydraulic clutch, etc

I think I know what my choice would be... am I missing anything here?

How about the hassle of getting the DMV to somehow inspect that WR450. Not having to think about that is worth an infinite amount of money.

Greg

Just to give something to the dark side, I got my 07 WR for $6200 OTD. I believe the Huskys go for retail +. Plating it in states that allow it (Nevada, Arizona, and others) is painless except, as pointed out, the cost associated with the electrical and tire upgrades.

Bike performance and suspension upgrades are unique to the bike and individual so don't know about those.

Ride on:ride: