Need Sprocket Advice

Hi, im wondering if anyone of you guys have played with your sprockets and found a solution. This pertains to just MX racing, after i put on the Dr. D exhaust i noticed more power, but my local track has some tight areas along with spread out triples and straightaways. I find that 2nd gear is extremely powerful and fast, but i need to be in 3rd in most parts of the track, however i feel that while in 3rd if im not balls out, its slightly luggish. I asked about it at my dealership and they said to go down a tooth in the front. This will allow you to run in 3rd with the gear being very strong and powerful like 2nd.

does this make any sense, or has anyone found a different solution for sticking in a gear on most the track?

Thanks

I would suggest going up one tooth in the rear. Dropping a tooth in the front is quite a jump. Its fairly common for most moto guys to jump one tooth in the rear to gain a little more snap to pull third in most corners.

It sounds like in this case, you need more gears spaced more closely together than you currently have available in order to find the ratio that works best in more different places around the track. To get that, you need to lower the overall gear ratio. Increase your rear sprocket size by one tooth, two at most.

(dropping one at the front is roughly the same as adding three to the rear)

It sounds like in this case, you need more gears spaced more closely together than you currently have available in order to find the ratio that works best in more different places around the track. To get that, you need to lower the overall gear ratio. Increase your rear sprocket size by one tooth, two at most.

(dropping one at the front is roughly the same as adding three to the rear)

Awesome.. thanks for the response, i'll try a 50 tooth in the rear!

Thanks,

Artie