Sign in to follow this  

Traveling with bikes?

Not sure where to post this, but since it involves MX riding I figured this would work. Question is- what do you do with your bikes when you're traveling and have to stay overnight?

I'd really like to take an "MX tour" of CO and/or TX, but what to do with the bikes in the evening? I had an enclosed trailer and that thing dropped my gas mileage by 1/2 or worse, so I'm back to either my open trailer or bed of pickup.

Curious as to what ya'll do.

I put padlocks in the rotors when they are on the trailer and when I camp on the trail or in the truck, I tie fishing line to the bike and run it into the truck or tent and put a big jingle bell on the end. Then, if any one moves it, I will hear the bell jingle.

If I was staying at a hotel, I would get a room at ground level and bring the bike in with me.

If I was staying at a hotel, I would get a room at ground level and bring the bike in with me.

i was thinking motel but same thing

guard dog ?

I've backed the vehicle in right in front of the room and locked the bikes together and also to the truck or trailer

Try and park in well lit area, visible from front desk of hotel, ask them to keep an eye on them, tip them a bit maybe. Also, you can try backing your trailer up to something that would make it impossible to take the trailer away ("pin" it between your truck and some stationary object, not touching though), and secure the bikes well.

for saftey precation i'd stick with the enclosed trailer even though ur gas milage will suck. better than having ur bikes stolen

I already sold the enclosed trailer. Besides, it's really easy to break into those things- I had to do it once when I left my keys at home on the counter. Pair of $15 bolt cutters from the local auto parts store and I was in.

I like the idea of bringing it into the room but what about gas fumes? Also, I"m traveling with 3 kids and a wife- that might be 2-3 bikes total.

Best solution might just be to take our pop-up camper and camp. I like the idea of the bell!

I travel with bikes all the time. I try to stay at nice hotels (Full service Marriott's and Hilton's) that aren't in shady neighborhoods. I book using hotwire and choose a 4 or 5 star. It usually cost about $50.00 to $75 bucks more then the motels. Big lighted parking lots full of expensive cars that are worth a lot more then my bikes. I just ask if I can park up front and have never had a problem. And of course lock the bike, wheel, chain it to the truck, etc. The extra money is worth the peace of mind and I don't have to sleep in some dumpy hotel without a cocktail bar.

Maybe add a disc alarm lock as a secondary alarm.

Aside from the obvious security actions. If you do leave the bike in the truck I'd also suggest loosening the straps holding the bike down so the forks are not compressed overnight.

I have a steel cable looped around the frame of my truck, up through the drain hole in my bed, then wraped around the frame of my bike and padlocked. And, I have insurance.

Anyone know how tuff those braided steel Kryptonite cables are :thumbsup:

I put padlocks in the rotors when they are on the trailer and when I camp on the trail or in the truck, I tie fishing line to the bike and run it into the truck or tent and put a big jingle bell on the end. Then, if any one moves it, I will hear the bell jingle.

Paranoid much? I know these are pretty special toys we have but if someone wants something bad enough. Their probaly gunna get it. I don't know what kind of places your camping at but around here I would think that's pretty overkill. The only time we lock our bikes is if we head into town or leave the spot for awhile. To each his own. If you feel better sleeping at night with a bell atached to your bike. More power to you. Well i guess I'm bored. Cheers

How many people on here have actually gotten a bike stolen? Just curious.

My pop was on vaca for a week in FLA at Hardrock MX this past December. He stayed at a Howard Johnson for the week. There were also some canadians staying at the same hotel and had like 6 bikes in a locked enclosed trailer. All of them were jacked in the middle of the night. My dad just requested a ground level room and brought his bike in every night. He still has it.

Bringing the bike into the room may work for one bike. But it gets crowded with 5 bikes

I have always used a rule that if they don't see it they dont want it. So cover the bikes up with a crapy blue tarp so they dont see the bikes and lock every thing up like you are paranoid