Sign in to follow this  

suspension

First you need to know why you want to change them, then tell us.

Are they blown up or just leaking?

When you ride do they bounce around or hammer like a log wagon?

Do you ride motoX, superX, supermoto,hairscramble, log roads, corn feilds, backyard or up and the street?

Then most peaple would say send them off.

Also: what year model KX450F? Is the suspension valving stock or modified? have you adjusted anything? Roughly what do you weigh?

If you take your forks and shock to a good susp tuner, they should give you some written guidelines on how to setup the external adjustments for your needs.

well it is an 2006 and i weigh roughly 160 or lil less just geussin and i want it to be a tad softer i ride everything though but i will be racing moto x soon

well it is an 2006 and i weigh roughly 160 or lil less just geussin and i want it to be a tad softer i ride everything though but i will be racing moto x soon

I have the 06 and weigh 165. I assume your bike is stock. For a real fix, the 06 needs re-valving front and rear. Major gains to be made. Also the stock rear spring is too stiff for your weight. I use a 5.0 on the rear instead of the 5.4 stock. I still have the 0.46 fork springs, but my tuner softened those other small springs in the forks [name of them I forget]. Long term you need to take your shock and forks to a tuner with a good reputation. Get a setup guide off them, read it and do what they suggest. Your bike will feel so different you wont believe it.

Short term (interim solution) you could make the usual external adjustments:

1) Raise forks in the clamps from 7 to 11mm and leave there. Also set your bars how you like them.

2) Set rear sag so your bike turns into corners better when you lean (tip) the bike in. Raise rear for more turn in, and so less need to sit super far fwd. Raise rear too much and the bike turns to much and other problems happen.

3) Set your compression damping on either end so your bike is just on the verge of bottoming out at some point on your target track. That is you are using all travel. Put zip ties on your fork leg and shock shaft to check [some light elastic better on the shock shaft]. This setup is assuming you are not riding in sand. Sand is different.

4) Set your shock rebound dampening (slow enough) so your rear does not buck on braking bumps, and no too slow on the rebound so the rear holds down too long in bumpy corners and the bike pushes out of turns. Also too slow and your rear tire wont hook up on accel bumps.

5) Set your fork rebound dampening so you have enough to hold the front down in turns so your bike rails ruts without too much effort. But not too much on the fork rebound else your forks can pack down and you can get awful unstable in the steering at times.

That's my rough guide. As you can tell, it's often a game of compromises. The diffs can (will) be huge. Once re-valved properly the 06 is a much better bike, and can handle more tricky terrain. Work at it, practice front vs rear brake control on corner entry too, and enjoy.

Oh yeah, search for 742F in this forum and see if you want to change your front tire. :thumbsup:

i have no problems with turning i need to set it up for jumping im not the best jumper and thats is where im am uncomforitable with it

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By tanner_shany24
      Hey guys, I have a 2012 KX450f and it is giving me major issues. I will give you a run down of the history of it. I bought this bike a few months ago and have only ridden it really once, yes once! When I bought it everything seemed to check out, it ran fine, started fine, sounded fine, so I bought it. Took it out to ride and the first hill I hit it got really hot and overheated like a SOB and spewed coolant everywhere. I thought to my self maybe it was because we were riding trails slow before so maybe when I actually got on it it got too hot. After that though, it began to overheat every 3 minutes no  matter what, I would ride it for 3 minutes, and have to stop to let it cool down because I was scared I was going to melt the top end. Got home and started inspecting, found out that oil and coolant was mixing both where the oil is supposed to be and where the coolant is supposed to be. After some research I found that the 2012 450 had head gasket issues. Assuming that was the issue, I took the head off and got it resurfaced (it was actually decently warped) and put new gaskets in everything top end related. Piston and cylinder looked brand new by the way. So I put it back together, started it up, and it instantly started spewing coolant and oil mixed out of the crank case breather hose. Like literally as soon as i started it and it would make a puddle on the ground in 10-15 seconds. I'm at a loss here, brand new coolant and brand new oil, brand new head gasket and resurfaced head, and it instantly started doing the same thing again? What could it be? Is it worth my time or do I part the bike out? I have put way too much time into this bike to want to tear back into it again unless it is something cheap to fix, if not I am going to post it on craigslist and let someone else deal with it. Overall this whole experience makes me want to go back to a 250T! XD
    • By Sam Mclean
      Hi new to this site.
      Ive just bought a cheap kx450f with what i thought would be a minor issue.
      I was told it was only running with the choke on and i thought easy fix, just a blocked jet. So i pulled it apart as must of the person before me and i find a broken soround thing that the plastic case sits on around the pilot jet. So i appoxy that back on unblock the jets and clean it all out, put it back together and now i try starting it for the first time and see the fuel dripping as it was when i bought it. When i look closer i see it is seeping from what looks like a crack in the float bowl. Ahhh
      So my problem is. Looking for a cheap carby might solve all my problems or just a float bowl at worse case. Now i can find many kx450f being wrecked nearby so im wondering are most 450 carbys the same? Will one of a yz450f work? 
      Can someone please help
    • By Sam Mclean
      Hi new to this site.
      Ive just bought a cheap kx450f with what i thought would be a minor issue.
      I was told it was only running with the choke on and i thought easy fix, just a blocked jet. So i pulled it apart as must of the person before me and i find a broken soround thing that the plastic case sits on around the pilot jet. So i appoxy that back on unblock the jets and clean it all out, put it back together and now i try starting it for the first time and see the fuel dripping as it was when i bought it. When i look closer i see it is seeping from what looks like a crack in the float bowl. Ahhh
      So my problem is. Looking for a cheap carby might solve all my problems or just a float bowl at worse case. Now i can find many kx450f being wrecked nearby so im wondering are most 450 carbys the same? Will one of a yz450f work? 
      Can someone please help
    • By BadcaseofTB
      I missed tracking where this little top hat came out of in my 2011 kx450f. Was thinking clutch or right side engine cover. Any help would be appreciated I can’t seem to find it in the manual.