Sign in to follow this  

USFS approved destruction of designated OHV trails at Georgetown/Bald Mtn

Let me get this right:

1) There has been an established history of lawsuits and legal resolutions at Georgetown/Rock Creek OHV trail system, which include Bald mountain trails, that limits dirt bikes to designated trails.

2.) Per the USFS GT Rangers & their district ranger..: "Because of the strained relations with environmentalists and because it would be too high profile and "political" for the USFS, the Ranger district as a matter of policy is against preparing new NEPA and EIS documents for building any new trails"... or even constructing a single short distance work around trail of modest lenght to solve previously poor trail design locations, etc.

3.) However, contrary to item 2 above, the USFS does prepare and writes its own EIS and NEPA documents to allow logging operators to destroy and remove mapped numbered and designated OHV trails in the name of fuel reduction activity. i.e. the current Quinette Fuel Reduction plan to be implemented over the next 3 years at the eastside GT trails system area.

3 years of this ahead of us and they have already destroyed about 5 miles of trails. Here is the latest destruction of a mapped designated and numbered OHV trail #1-3 and, parts of 4 at Bald Mountain, Georgetown, CA

Trail 1-3 typical view before logging

trail 1-3 now, after they destroyed it

there is your old trail 1-3 bulldozed off to the side and down into the creek

If this double standard and the loss of another designated and mapped OHV trail, pisses you off, then copy these photos and write a letter to the District Rangers and copy your congressman.

Patrica Trimble

Georgetown Ranger Station, 7600 Wentworth Springs Road, Georgetown, CA 95634

Ramiro Villalvazo, Forest Supervisor, 100 Forni Road,

Placerville, CA 95667

I'm suprised that Karen doesn't have them in court yet over this.

Ride on

Brewster

How is it possible that dirtbikes riding on a 3 foot wide trail (or less) supposedly "destroy" the fragile ecological balance, but huge bulldozers smashing down trees, carving into the earth and shoving soil and plant matter into streams are somehow seen as an act of conservation?

How is it possible that dirtbikes riding on a 3 foot wide trail (or less) supposedly "destroy" the fragile ecological balance, but huge bulldozers smashing down trees, carving into the earth and shoving soil and plant matter into streams are somehow seen as an act of conservation?

Maybe if we put fiber rolls at the creek crossings and orange fence around the puddles it would be OK:excuseme:

I'm suprised that Karen doesn't have them in court yet over this.

I'm not, because all of this clearing is to help insure her house doesn't burn down in the next forest fire. Karen only wants OHV shut down because we're operating on the land near her home. I'm pretty sure she could care less about us riding at Foresthill, or Elkins, or Clear Creek, etc. It's all about her and not the environment. She is just using the enviro card to get what she wants.

Stop bitching and find out what laws the FS is breaking. They are discriminating against one users group in favor of another. "We can do this or they'll get mad" I don't think that is in any part of their policies or federal laws, which they HAVE to obey.

OH, and excellent post and pics. :thumbsup:

Stop bitching :

Oh Ok thank you cornflake for that remark. How about this... This is the the second time you have come in the CA forum from Colorado to tell us to stop bitching and do something......... Hmmm who's the one giving advice here?

You really stepped into it. If you knew me and this forum you would know I do plenty and this post is only another of many alerts. By the way cornflake, I am the only one here who has talked to and rallied our US congressman against this USFS BS.....but your right in one thing they can do what they want.........they can EIS us and close routes, they can NEPA us and destroy routes........they can do anything they want, they are the US govt.

all we have is protest and letter writing.....unless YOU have $50,000 and an attorney to find a tiwst and corner of law to help the fight????? if not then keep your advice in Colorado.

this post is to stir protest if you knew anything you would know that.

All we need is 1000s/millions of dollars to do our own studies prepare an EIS and still have the funds to build and maintain new trails. The FS is not against private dollars doing work just federal dollars.

When it comes down to it in the real world of non-trust funded activism, all we have is bigbob and others to fight and scream and in the end we will still have to sue.

It sucks.

Bob, the guy rides a Husaberg, so how smart could he be anyways? He obviously doesn't know jack schitt. ....oh wait a minute, you ride a .....sorry Bob.

Bob, the guy rides a Husaberg, so how smart could he be anyways? He obviously doesn't know jack schitt. ....oh wait a minute, you ride a .....sorry Bob.

:thumbsup::confused::ride: :ride: Now that there is a classic YZWiley reply! :D :D :banana::cheers:

Oh and by the way BigBob, I too have met with one of our US Congressmen on these issues, so you're not completely alone on that one. :thumbsup:

Its crap for sure, from what I read and was told any trail that is a road bed is still a road according to the NEPA standards becuase it is labled as such. They can blow it out to its original size without having to do one study on the effects to the "Riparian" habitat.

Plans like this just take dirt bike riding back into the 70s...You would travel up into the hills, ride the fireroads coming to an illegal connecting single track trail that someone made to another fireroad...So on and so on...Point is the fireroads will always be there...Next bike will have to be plated so you can access the fireroads legally...Are things going backwards the circle of life? Tmie will tell....

yes od that is true.

By the way I revised my post above to tone it down for that Colorado cornflake with 198 posts who rides a old reliable bike and two Hondas