asked the dealership

Hey Guys,

was looking for an opinion,

i just bought my 08 WR450F bike got about 75km's on her now.

i was riding with a buddy little slower, as he has a 600 quad.

he noticed that my pipe was cherry red for about 6-8" from the jug.

i have read thats a sure sign your bike is running lean on this web site.

my dealership (witch bty is excellent, do fantastic work on my APEX sled)

siad it is normal not to worry about it. ??? should i just enjoy the bike ? or

should i be concerned ?

I have done nothing to this bike.... yet. i have a throttle stop coming and i guess the grey wire trick and something in the muffler to be done so i am told to wake up these bikes.

cheers

Warts

Hey warts, picked up my 08 and did the mods right away and my pipe does not get red.

Removed ais, grey wire mod, removed snorkel from air box, throttle stop & re-jet, and put in PMB exhaust insert and runs great

Hey warts, picked up my 08 and did the mods right away and my pipe does not get red.

Removed ais, grey wire mod, removed snorkel from air box, throttle stop & re-jet, and put in PMB exhaust insert and runs great

whats the AIS ??

what if i want the snorkel ? will it do anything leaving it on ?

you did have to REJET ? where do you live ? in canada ? what jets did you use? my 08 came with some extra jets ??? did you use them ?

what about the cold temps right now ? could that be my jetting problem ? its like 0 - +5 deg C here not very warm.

PMB exhaust insert ? where do i get one ? how much did you have to pay?

thanks bunch... only owned the bike for a week... ?

so sorry for the bombardment of questions

Warts

Warts,

The first thing I would do is to re-jet the carb.

Try using the search feature on the upper right hand corner. All your questions have been answered before.

The biggest tip I can give you is to read read read and then break out the wrenches. Get to know your bike and how to maintain it. The knowledge will save you tons of money and help you to get the bike running the way you want.

Warts,

The first thing I would do is to re-jet the carb.

Try using the search feature on the upper right hand corner. All your questions have been answered before.

The biggest tip I can give you is to read read read and then break out the wrenches. Get to know your bike and how to maintain it. The knowledge will save you tons of money and help you to get the bike running the way you want.

Thanks, i have ordered the AIS removal kit from this website.

I am not sure about the rejet yet. i will do the throttle stop, grey wire mod, and exhaust insert and the AIR removal.

but i am not sure what jetting to use. i do not wanna burn down my brand new toy ?

cheers thanks for the advise. i have been searching... but the jetting seems to be different for everyone. so its back to trial and error that worries me.

anyhow thank again

cheers

Warts

I'm from saskaton, you don't need the exhaust insert but at least take the smallest baffle out of the exhaust tip.

I used a 168 main jet, dtr - 4 needle, 48 pilot jet, 45 leak jet and 110 air jet

Some of these jets came with the bike (attached to the owners manual)

its not a 2 stoke so dont get worried about burnin it down

I'm from saskaton, you don't need the exhaust insert but at least take the smallest baffle out of the exhaust tip.

I used a 168 main jet, dtr - 4 needle, 48 pilot jet, 45 leak jet and 110 air jet

Some of these jets came with the bike (attached to the owners manual)

its not a 2 stoke so dont get worried about burnin it down

Thanks man, thats what i wanted to hear ?

now i have a bunch of jets that came with my owners manual.

but it sounds like you still had to buy some ? from the dealership?

thanks a bunch

cheers

Warts

Get a JD Jet Kit. My pipe was always glowing and I had detonation so I started runnig 100 octane. Detonation went away, but pipe continued to be red now my screen in my spark arrestor has eaten away. Rejetted and all problems solved. Lean is mean until you melt a piston.

Get a JD Jet Kit. My pipe was always glowing and I had detonation so I started runnig 100 octane. Detonation went away, but pipe continued to be red now my screen in my spark arrestor has eaten away. Rejetted and all problems solved. Lean is mean until you melt a piston.

do i buy the JD jet kit from this site ?

cheers

Warts

Your pipe will be red - it's normal - the pipe is titanium and very thin and therefore gets red hot quick, usually, you notice this on overcast days or in the evening/night or inside the garage. It'll be brightest when you're sitting due to the lack of airflow that helps cool it.

A little red, yes. But I'm talking you could see red after running hard for a while. I never thought about checking a plug since it was a brand new bike, straight from the dealer. Maybe it's different here in So Cal, but listen to the voices here, Yamaha ships them lean to pass emissions and suspension packed with very little grease.

its no longer red...

its seems maybe breakin in the motor was extra hot.

anyhow another question. i was looking at my bike its an 08 model year.

the AIS system is not near the carb anymore... its under the gas tank near

the front forks. i purchased the AIR blockoff from this site. can anyone confirm that it will work?

cheers

Warts

its no longer red...

the front forks. i purchased the AIR blockoff from this site. can anyone confirm that it will work?

cheers

Warts

You will probably need to supply your part# so someone who also purchased the block-off kit from here could confirm. I got the GYTR kit from Yamaha since it came with the new throttle stop screw.

its no longer red...

cheers

Warts

That's where my AIS is and it's an 07 so it should be the same. I just cut a piece of 12 ga. and put it between the head and the AIS tube flange. Then took JB Weld and sealed up my AIS unit, all 3 ports, and plugged all the hoses back in. Would have liked to taken the whole thing off, but thats the price of living with CARB. Be ready to drain your antifreeze, it makes the job a whole lot easier.

That's where my AIS is and it's an 07 so it should be the same. I just cut a piece of 12 ga. and put it between the head and the AIS tube flange. Then took JB Weld and sealed up my AIS unit, all 3 ports, and plugged all the hoses back in. Would have liked to taken the whole thing off, but thats the price of living with CARB. Be ready to drain your antifreeze, it makes the job a whole lot easier.

Yeah, I have been thinking about putting mine back on:foul: Need to get some JB Weld.