Help me Support the American Heart Association

Hey guys-

My dad passed away unexpectedly in 2000 from a massive heart attack. Since then, I've been walking in the Heart Walk each year too honor his name and raise money for research and treatment so others hopefully won't have to go through what I did. Please visit my website linked below and donate whatever you can. It doesn't matter if you can only afford 5 cents, it all means something.

Thanks guys,

Matt

https://www.kintera.org/faf/donorReg/donorPledge.asp?ievent=244027&supId=128399835

Although there are only (4) selections shown starting at $25, it it possible to donate any amount of money by clicking in the box below the Bronze selection. Again, every penny counts. Thanks in advance for the support:thumbsup: ?

• Like 1

The donation page is currently acting interesting and will only accept $25 minimum donations. I understand if this is not possible. I have an email in to the service folks to see what is going on. If $25 is possible, go ahead and donate!! It will be extremely appreciated:thumbsup:

Done.

My dad hashad 4 heart attacks and triple bypass. My brother was 47 when he had a heart attack. So a donation is easy for me, It's the watching my own health that hard.

Sorry to hear about your Dad. My condolences to you and your Family.

• Like 1

So a donation is easy for me, It's the watching my own health that hard. Sorry to hear about your Dad. My condolences to you and your Family.

I'm right there with you on the "watching my own health" thing. I need to take better care of myself too. It's tough sometime when I'm running and stressed out most of the day.

Both my Dad and his brother passed away before 60 and that just sin't going to cut it for me. Thanks again everyone!!

• 2 weeks later...
Hey guys-

My dad passed away unexpectedly in 2000 from a massive heart attack. Since then, I've been walking in the Heart Walk each year too honor his name and raise money for research and treatment so others hopefully won't have to go through what I did. Please visit my website linked below and donate whatever you can. It doesn't matter if you can only afford 5 cents, it all means something.

Thanks guys,

Matt

https://www.kintera.org/faf/donorReg/donorPledge.asp?ievent=244027&supId=128399835

Although there are only (4) selections shown starting at $25, it it possible to donate any amount of money by clicking in the box below the Bronze selection. Again, every penny counts. Thanks in advance for the support:thumbsup: :eek:

way to go

Every year the kids at my school (I am a PE teacher) participate in the

AHA's Jump Rope for Heart event. Over the past 5 years they have raised over $33,000. What a great organization....

Interesting Facts about Heart Disease and Stroke:

• Heart disease and stroke are America’s No. 1 and No. 3 killers and touch all of our lives.

• Obesity among our nation’s youth has tripled in the past 15 years.

• American children ages 2-17 spend more time watching television than any other activity except sleeping.

• For the first time in history, children’s life spans are predicted to be less than their parents’ because of inactivity and obesity-related illnesses.

• Heart disease and stroke claim the lives of about a million Americans each year – an average of 2600 American’s every day.

Here's a bump for you - and great job....

Terry

Every year the kids at my school (I am a PE teacher) participate in the

AHA's Jump Rope for Heart event. Over the past 5 years they have raised over $33,000. What a great organization....

Interesting Facts about Heart Disease and Stroke:

• Heart disease and stroke are America’s No. 1 and No. 3 killers and touch all of our lives.

• Obesity among our nation’s youth has tripled in the past 15 years.

• American children ages 2-17 spend more time watching television than any other activity except sleeping.

• For the first time in history, children’s life spans are predicted to be less than their parents’ because of inactivity and obesity-related illnesses.

• Heart disease and stroke claim the lives of about a million Americans each year – an average of 2600 American’s every day.

Here's a bump for you - and great job....

Terry

Right on man!!! That's what I'm talking about. Thanks for posting:thumbsup:

trw- What percentage of your kids would you consider overweight, guestimation?

What do you think is the primary cause of their weight issues?

Parents, lack of excercise, diet (parents again), school food, genetics, or other?

*We'll keep this at the top of the first page until 06crf_er meets his goal....

even if we have to ask legitimate questions.

A PE teachers point of veiw interests me, having kids myself.

trw- What percentage of your kids would you consider overweight, guestimation?

At my school approx. 10% of the kids I tested failed the BMI part of their fitness test (BMI is not the most accurate test out there for determining body fat/body compostion - but it does give a pretty good general idea)

What do you think is the primary cause of their weight issues?

Parents, lack of excercise, diet (parents again), school food, genetics, or other?

Probably a combination of all the above. I am at a surburban school - just north of Dallas (Lewisville ISD - about 25 miles north of Dallas)

Generally speaking I would say the biggest problem is lack of consistant exercise - whether that is because of laziness (video games etc), lack of appropriate role models (parents or others), or in some cases just not being in an environment that is condusive to exercise - dangerous neighborhoods/apartment or project living/having to babysit siblings etc....The neighborhood where my school is at is middle class, safe, and a good place to raise kids - they can ride bikes, play soccer/basketball after school and enjoy the outdoors. I recently finished fitness testing all of our 2nd - 5th graders - Body Mass Index, push-ups, curl-ups, trunck lift, and a 20 meter pacer run. The majority of my kids did well - falling in the "healthy fitness zone" in the majority of the tests. Texas is now requiring all students in grades 3-5 to be fitness tested using what is called the fitnessgram test -more info can be found at http://www.cooperinst.org/products/grams/

Texas is being pretty proactive regarding kids health - having passed a law last year requiring the fitness test and also requiring all kids to have a minimum of 125 minutes a week of "vigorous activity" (not including recess).

I can't speak for other schools/districts but the teachers in LISD work really hard to help students learn to make good nutritional choices and healthy lifestyle habits.

As they say - if you don't take care of your body - where are you going to live?

Terry

*We'll keep this at the top of the first page until 06crf_er meets his goal....

even if we have to ask legitimate questions.

A PE teachers point of veiw interests me, having kids myself.