KTM guys: What should I get???

Ok, here's the deal, LONG time Honda fanatic, started on a 90, went to a 250, been riding a 600 for the last 4 years and loved every minute of it...until now. The 600 has inherent engine design flaws that although repairable, have burned me twice now. Now, I plan on keeping the 600 and repairing it and keeping it the rest of my life. However, I have recently been promoted at work and with my promotion $ I am planning on buying a second bike ? I am into enduros and it seems every enduro I do, the vast majority of bikes being ridden are KTM's. So, my question is, what model do I get??? It seems like there are a gazillion different models to choose from and I'd like to know the KTM guys' opinion on the matter. I'm a big guy, 6'04" 220lbs, and I ride aggressively, so a large displacement is a MUST. If at all possible, I'd like to buy used since it seems foolish to pay the extra 2-3G's to get a new one from a dealer, but would gladly plump down the skrill if I hear from you guys buying used is bad news. I ride a 50/50 mix between tight mountain trail riding and wide open fire road @ 80-90 mph. I'd like to have the option to take it on the road also, since our trail options are dwindling here in Cali and the ability to ride that 2-3 miles on the road up to the next trail head would be fantastic. So, with all that info, what info can you guys give me? Sorry for the long winded message, I just want to make sure I give as much info as possible so that I get as much info as possible. Thanks in advance for any help you guys may be able to lend. Whew.

well big bike, road legal, and best of all cali legal, the 07 or 08 45 EXC are great options, street legal right off the dealer floor, if the red sticker and not being street legal isn't so much an issue then the 300 XC two stroke is another excellent option, but i think you'll want green sticker and street legal.

well big bike, road legal, and best of all cali legal, the 07 or 08 45 EXC are great options, street legal right off the dealer floor, if the red sticker and not being street legal isn't so much an issue then the 300 XC two stroke is another excellent option, but i think you'll want green sticker and street legal.

There is a reason that at races there are alot of KTMs. they are good! no question! ?

I too was a honda man, XR650, but found the BRP too much of a handful. Particularly as the majority of my riding was on single track. I'am 6'2" and 105kg (about 230lbs) no gear and I now ride a 450EXC and love it.

I have a 4t because it has suited the more open races I want to do, however if I go hardcore enduro racing, ie single track I'd go the 300exc. They seem the perfect compromise if there is not a lot of transport stuff. If you have transport and need rego look at 450 and even the 250 depending on the nature of the tracks. I think I would be a better rider on a 250 4t in tight single than on a 450 4t, at times too much power is bad!

..I'm a big guy, 6'04" 220lbs, and I ride aggressively, so a large displacement is a MUST. If at all possible, I'd like to buy used since it seems foolish to pay the extra 2-3G's to get a new one from a dealer, but would gladly plump down the skrill if I hear from you guys buying used is bad news. I ride a 50/50 mix between tight mountain trail riding and wide open fire road @ 80-90 mph. I'd like to have the option to take it on the road ...

Given those requirements I agree you want ot go with an 07 or 08 4 stroke EXC-R as they are guaranteed street legal. The 450s will be potentially easier to ride in the tight stuff and the 525/530 will have more power for the fire roads.

Note that the motor design and also chassis changed a lot between 07 and 08. 07 models would be cheaper and allow you to spend some $ on the suspension setup you will need for your weight and riding style. 08 models will give you the benefits of a more modern motor design and a bit sharper chassis. But you will still need to spend $ on suspension. You'll want to read up on these differences and make your own choice. Some say the 07 and earlier RFS motors are more reliable or at least more of a known quantity. The 08 XC4 motors are a new design so along with the benefits there are potential drawbacks always present with new designs. I have not heard of anything serious, worst I think is a potentially annoying internal seal issues that some folks have had on the 530s. But this will be covered under warranty if you happen to have a problem with it.

I chose the 08 450 because I am far from an expert and it has more than enough power for me. I ride mostly tight stuff, have regeared it with 13/52 sprockets and it is pretty much unstoppable in the tight stuff and on hills. I'm shorter than you but same weight. Have not ridden a 530. I did not consider the 07 models as I wanted the newer design and am willing to work out any bugs that pop up.

I would have chosen the 300 two stroke for its ample power and lower weight, but I wanted a guaranteed street legal bike so that ruled out the two stroke.

I know you are looking to replace your 600, so you are probably wanting to stay around that displacement, but I picked up a 04 ktm 400exc a couple of weeks ago, The thing is a blast in singletrack but once I hit a fireroad the thing just opens up and runs awesome! I'm extremely satisfied with the bike and the best thing is that it doesn't tire you out at all the power delivery is spot on! Thats just my opinion im also 5'10 and only about 150 without gear but at least you've picked the right color. ?

I am a newcomer to KTM products myself. Got an '08 450 EXC-R last month and absolutely love the thing! Plenty of power, but manageable. So far, only fire roads (400 miles) and I could not be happier. If you want street-legal in Cali, this is a fantastic choice...wasn't cheap, but worth the $.?

Wow, thanks for all the input guys! I appreciate it! After talking to a few other people, I've got one question... I'm hearing and have heard from alot of people who LOVE their KTM's but, I rarely see older KTM's...most of them I see are no more than 3 or 4 years old. Now, this is not to say they aren't great bikes, but my 600 is 13 years old and still running strong. In fact, it was running great even as it was chewing up the cam and rockers inside, the only reason that I actually noticed that there was something wrong was when I went to do a valve adjustment - the first one since owning the bike, mind you, and noticed that one valve wasn't being opened all the way. This lead to testing and ultimately rebuilding. The point of my story is, my bike requires almost zero maintenance, if I forget to change the oil after 5 or 6 rides, it wont need a complete rebuild afterward. I've got a buddy who has a new CRF250 and the damn thing needs the filter changed after every ride. He was told he should change the oil after every ride to prevent ring damage! If his valves need to be adjusted, instead of adjustable set screws, they have to be shimmed, using special thickness shims between the rocker and the valve head?!? This is excessive! And I'm told all modern low-profile piston engines, with only one compression ring and one oil ring are this way; because the piston has one fewer ring, it produces more power but allows unburnt gasoline past the rings which mixes in with the engine oil, causing the oil to breakdown more quickly, thus damaging precious internal components. I want durability and light maintenance along with the ponies, what year make and model of KTM do I need to purchase to get this??? Whatever I buy, I'm looking to have it for a considerable amount of time, I have no problem buying a new one or an old one, if its going to last. Thanks in advance guys.

if you go a 2007 KTM 450/525 then you don't have this shim's, only the 2008 450 and 530 use shims, the 07 and before bikes use tappets instead, but all modern bikes need regular oil changes, at around the ten-15 hour mark tops, and an oil filter change every 2nd or 3ed oil change.

normally it's only the 250F's that have the ring problems, but if it really concerns you the wesico piston is a two ring design, first piston change go to a weisco piston instead of OEM.

There are tradeoffs if you want a cutting edge high power motor. Single compression ring, shimmed valves, low oil volume and frequent changes, etc. All of those are design decisions made to increase horsepower. If you are looking for a motor geared more towards ease of maintenance and long service intervals then you need to look elsewhere, like at a more street oriented dual sport bike with less power. The XC4 motors are geared towards ultimate performance meaning they require more attention.

That said I have not heard of anyone having ring trouble on the XC4 450 and 530 motors. And the valves seem to stay in adjustment a long time so changing shims is maybe a once every year or two kind of job. The KTM recommendation on oil and filter changes is every 15 hours of running time. Many say change the oil about twice as much as that but only change the filter every 15 hours. The job is quick and easy, costs you a few bucks for a filter and 1.5 liters of oil to do both the crankcase and transmission.

it won't rev as freely because the piston is heavier with two compression rings, but it doesn't effect power, the engine is the EXC's are aimed more towards reliability then the engine in other models as it is, the 450 and 505 SX engines are twin overhead cam with titanium valves, while the XC4 engine (in the EXC-R's) is single over head cam with stainless steel valves.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I hope my opinion and experience helps. I resently stepped up from a 03 XR400 to a brand new 07 KTM525exc....no comparison!!! I am 6'5" and 105 kgs, so similar to you. I ride at near sea level to 1000m in all sorts of terrain. I tested a CRF450x and stalled it twice in the tight stuff so I think and am told you have to slip the clutch a bit and I believe wound out it is good for about 120 k's (ktm near 160 k's)

I can tell you if you want a bike to play about in the forests tight tracks and wind it up in the open....buy a 525 or 530. The only problem I have found is over heating when idling. I am here to search the forums about cooling fans etc. I put 22mm handle bar risers on it two days ago...(would recomend for your height).

I think any of these late model bikes need regular oil/filter and air filter changes, a small sacrifice for the unbelievabe ride you will have...you will never look back, Good luck.

Wow, thanks for all the input guys! I appreciate it! After talking to a few other people, I've got one question... I'm hearing and have heard from alot of people who LOVE their KTM's but, I rarely see older KTM's...most of them I see are no more than 3 or 4 years old. Now, this is not to say they aren't great bikes, but my 600 is 13 years old and still running strong.

There weren't many KTM's around 13 years ago. The first modern, lightweight four stroke was the RFS model introduced in 2000. There are quite a few '00 - '04 models still out on the trails. There never were as many of these models produced compared to the numbers of XR's.

The obvious KTM choice for your requirements is the 525/530.

?

Thanks to everybody for their opinions, knowledge and experiences, I think I'm gonna go for a used 2004/5/6 525 EXC, it seems like the best fit for someone of my size and skill level. Now I just have to find the right one! Thanks guys!