250xc. Excessive spooge.

Hey guys, I have an 07 250xc and had a question on jetting. It's been running fine but the last ride (which was 70 degrees outside rather than 30 which I'd been riding before) it had a lot of spooge. My jettings stock besides the needle dropped one clip. Should I drop it one more? I ride around 300-1500 ft. elevation. I think the excessive stooge could be from the PC type 296 sparky I put on combined with the warmer weather. My dad's jetting on his 08 300xcw is stock with the needle dropped two clips and it runs crisp with little to no spooge. This may be comparing apples to oranges, but its what makes me think of dropping the needle one more. Any thoughts?

hot air is less dense than cold air therefore it will run rich when it warms up due to less air in the mix. So, yes, you should lean it out some, but i dont know the specs for an 07 250. You can find that on KTMTALK.com in the jetting section. For a quik try, lowering the needle and/or the main may do it for you.

• Like 1

before dropping the main jet, do a plug chop with a fresh plug to see where you are on the main. In the 250/300, I liked the N3CH or the N3EH needle. But, you may not want to change the needle a this point.

Where is your AS set? Do you stay on the pipe a good bit or do you lug it more?

I would venture to say you are rich on the pilot or first part of the needle. The stock needles are known for being rich in one area and lean in another.

Here's a plug chop with a fresh plug after a 4th gear near WOT on my 200. Hard to read a used plug.

garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=54925

Thanks for the reply layton. Are you saying I should drop the needle again? (It will make it two places lower than stock)

No I meant just lower the main since you've already leaned the needle.

For me, with the newer KTM's (06 and up), I've found that using the chart in the back of the book but going one step leaner on everything then what it says seems to work best.

gmoss, the as is at 1.5 I believe. I was riding in the woods so there were times of lugging and time of wot. Maybe this is the cause for the spooge? Layton, I'll see if I can get a jet from my dealer today and try that out.

Thanks for the help guys

gmoss, the as is at 1.5 I believe. I was riding in the woods so there were times of lugging and time of wot. Maybe this is the cause for the spooge? Layton, I'll see if I can get a jet from my dealer today and try that out.

Thanks for the help guys

if you are riding woods and spoogin with warmer temps, you are likely rich down low.

Again, I would do a 3rd or 4th gear near WOT plug chop before changing out the main. Shut it down while close to WOT and pull the plug. I would start with the pilot and the needle first. There are better needles for your bike than stock. Just a suggestion. I would personally rather be a little rich on the main than on the pilot.

I've got to agree with gmoss on part of that. If you are mostly woods riding in the lower part of the power band then it would be your air screw, pilot jet and somewhat the needle.

I feel the newer ktm's are jetted better from the factory then the older ones. I use to switch to the straight taper needles but haven't had to lately. That why I said to just take the book and go about one leaner on everything then what it lists. Make sure you are adjusting for the temperature and altitude also.

If you bought the bike new it should have come with extra main jets and needles.

• Like 1

I've got to agree with gmoss on part of that. If you are mostly woods riding in the lower part of the power band then it would be your air screw, pilot jet and somewhat the needle.

I feel the newer ktm's are jetted better from the factory then the older ones. I use to switch to the straight taper needles but haven't had to lately. That why I said to just take the book and go about one leaner on everything then what it lists. Make sure you are adjusting for the temperature and altitude also.

If you bought the bike new it should have come with extra main jets and needles.

with my late model 2 strokes, the SX and 300, I have been able to basically just change out the needle and all was good. The N3*H needles just seemed to run cleaner down low than the stock needle did. But like you say, we still have to adjust for our elev and temp.

I've only had the silencer for a few months and I ride every weekend.. It's pretty much new. I run dumonde tech at 40:1. I talked to my dealer the other day and he said to drop the needle a clip so I'm going to try that since it worked on my dad's bike. I'll keep you guys posted on how it works.