KLX450R FAQ (new jetting, AIS, battery, etc.)

leepic

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Does the jd jetting kit come with a brass fuel screw.

No. You get 2 needles, one clip, about 5 jets (from memory...155, 160, 162, 165, 170, I can confirm exactly which if you'll pm me), 2 o-rings (thick and thin) and instructions. I learned on my Hondas that you can't use his jetting instructions with his needles because they have a different taper.

I bought the flex jet fuel screw which seems very useful due to where they put the starter on these bikes. On my Hondas, the starter sits further inboard so you can reach under the carb and not burn yourself. On the KLX, there is much less room to get in there. If your carb is stock, you'll need to drill out a cover plug which hides the stock fuel screw. Its easy but at first I was like...what the heck?

• Like 1

If i put the jd jetting kit on their and in the future put a aftermarket exhaust on their will I have to re jet it again.

That depends upon how you are jetted before you install the exhaust and how much the new exhaust will change the airflow. If all is the same after the new pipe or whatever, then you added bling but not performance.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

If i put the jd jetting kit on their and in the future put a aftermarket exhaust on their will I have to re jet it again.

Most likely...but you might get lucky. You must at least go throught the steps to check/verify that the jetting is right.

I didn't.

when you checked it after the install you didnt have too?...if you didnt check it that is a mistake on your part, you have to at least check it.

Edited by sikmajik

• 4 months later...

Just a quick note Applied Racing Products (951-694-3267) makes a AIS block off kit for KLX450R as well as a crankcase vent kit just installed both on my bike,plus a jd jetting kit and R&D flex jet fuel screw, bike runs great!

Nice find. White Bros. has been bought by Vance&Hines so you cant order the AIS block off from them anymore, the v&h site doesnt list it. I was also unable to find it from F2 Racing, but I'm not the brightest.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
[/size]

Does the Probillett KLX450R 2008-11 Kick-it Kickstand include a mount for the foot peg? Mine is welded to the kickstand mount. The description does not touch on this. I can't imaginr yo have to cut it off.

According to these instructions, the Pro Moto Billet Kick-It kickstand for the KLX450R includes a new footpeg bracket:

http://www.promotobi...PMB-01-2005.pdf

Edited by Brisco

• 10 months later...

I have found that the KLX450 does a very poor job charging the battery right from the factory. Yes putting in a newly charged battery will make the bike fire right up. After time the battery will grow weaker and weaker because of this poor charing rate. I have found that having the stator rewound to a DC system and installing a replacement regulator. (I used the Ricky Stators Kit for the KLX 450) works great. You can go one step further and replace that heavy OEM battery with a Lipo one. ( I used an Earth X battery) Lipo batteries have an extremely quick charge rate and normally put out very strong voltage and amperage. Not to mention you will shave off at least 70% of the weight from the heavy lead acid battery. 

• 4 weeks later...

I have found that the KLX450 does a very poor job charging the battery right from the factory. Yes putting in a newly charged battery will make the bike fire right up. After time the battery will grow weaker and weaker because of this poor charing rate. I have found that having the stator rewound to a DC system and installing a replacement regulator. (I used the Ricky Stators Kit for the KLX 450) works great. You can go one step further and replace that heavy OEM battery with a Lipo one. ( I used an Earth X battery) Lipo batteries have an extremely quick charge rate and normally put out very strong voltage and amperage. Not to mention you will shave off at least 70% of the weight from the heavy lead acid battery. 

I did the above and also put a Trail Tech lighting switch on the bike. Includes kill switch as well in the unit.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

picked up a KLX a few weeks ago and this things awesome!  runs great with 2 bros exhaust and proper jetting.  only thing bothered me was the popping on deceleration.  everything id read said this is part of owning a 4 stroke so i didn't worry about it too much.  Then i read here that removing the emissions crap can reduce that.  I picked up the emissions block off kit and installed it last night.  Wow!  not only does the bike look better without all that crap but it lighter and the popping is just about gone altogether!!  Well worth the $40 in my opinion.

• 1 month later...

No. You get 2 needles, one clip, about 5 jets (from memory...155, 160, 162, 165, 170, I can confirm exactly which if you'll pm me), 2 o-rings (thick and thin) and instructions. I learned on my Hondas that you can't use his jetting instructions with his needles because they have a different taper.

I bought the flex jet fuel screw which seems very useful due to where they put the starter on these bikes. On my Hondas, the starter sits further inboard so you can reach under the carb and not burn yourself. On the KLX, there is much less room to get in there. If your carb is stock, you'll need to drill out a cover plug which hides the stock fuel screw. Its easy but at first I was like...what the heck?