leepic

KLX450R FAQ (new jetting, AIS, battery, etc.)

Have others converted this bike to Street Legal? What will it take.

Jamboa

Depends on your state's laws...every state is different. Try seaching your state in the "dual sport" forum here on TT. You'll get a lot of help here on the mechanical/equipment aspects after you find out exactly what you need.

Just finished removing the snorkle, put a 1" insert in the exhaust, lost the screen, No AIS.

Jetting for me at sea level using metric air was 48 pilot, 160 main, 2 1/2 out on the fuel screw. Power increase was noticable. More so off idle. Instant wheel spin and more explosive. Mid feels way stronger. But now you can really feel it go flat on the top.

TEAM GREEN JETTING INSTALLED - incase someone out there cares?

48pj, 140mj and the OBEKS needle 3rd clip, screw 2.5 turns out (which by the way was the stock setting on my bike). The bike is way easier to start, don't have to always use the choke to start now. Personally would say not a huge power difference on either end, BUT runs great with no bog or hesitation. Measured both needles seems virtually the same with the exception of clip postions.

Heres my is my situation

AIS gone - pro moto insert with spark arrester - stock air box and filter.

team green jetting. - 13/52 - tm design works guide - needed longer chain

HEADLIGHT SWITCH wired to the low beam, so its actually useful.

Last but definatly not least Unabiker Rad Guards

Altitude - approx. 2500ft.

Humidity - low

Temp. - lately approx 75 F. or appox 25 C.

Mugs

I had an oil leak from behind my front sprocket...seal was gone and just past warrenty period. Tried to get some sort of compensation by way of parts or labor and got nothing ....was pissed.

Anyway, that and leaking fork seals were my only issues...

Going to do the airbox mods and looking for a pipe now.

• Like 1

Moose has some great chains and sprockets. You are going to pay for them though.

• Like 1

Just thought I would add this to the sticky section as well...I should have listened earlier!!!

I fought for six months trying to start my bike with the battery and kick start. Had the dealer replace the battery at the end of my warranty. New stock OEM battery for the KLX but the latest model. Put it in Saturday.

WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!! Fired up the bike cold (zero degrees) yesterday. went riding for 80 km. Started the bike 12-14 times, all on the battery. Just touch the button and it spins right up immediately - do not even have to hold the starter, just touch it! First ride ever where I have not used the kicker. It will even start in first or second gear!!!

I pulled my hair out all summer messing with jetting, idle, valve clearence etc. trying to get this thing to start easy - just needed a real battery! Will not be last off the start line every again.

MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A GOOD BATTERY and you will enjoy this bike a hell of a lot more. This thing is a dream now with the flick of the switch!

Forgot - don't even have to use the hot start lever now either. Starts better than all the KTM's beside me LOL.

How's the jetting at sea level, with the stock pipe and stock airbox config?

Mine is being delivered today. The first thing I'm gonna do is put a 1 amp charger on the battery overnight, before I ride it tomorrow.

Thanks for all the tips, guys.

:smirk:

It will run lean and very hot, product by design. Follow the break in procedure and you should be fine. When you do all the needed modifications to it, you Will love it. Congrats on the purchase. Happy trails.

It will run lean and very hot, product by design.

Even at sea level, huh?

P.S.

One more quick question...

What's the advantage of doing the t-mod on the carb vent tubes, as opposed to simply re-routing the existing lines directly into the airbox?

I was referring to the main jet, needle,air box and removing the AIS. The mods to the carb vent tubes is a new one to me. I would like to here more about that. Happy trails

Yes, I found that post. But thanks.

The vent tube mod is for guys who do a lot of deep water crossings, like I tend to. The vacuum pressure can cause water to suck up through the tubes below the bike. The solution is to either T-off the lines so the vacuum pressure has another tube opening above the water to suck air through, so there won't be enough vacuum pressure in the original tube under the bike, to suck up any water, OR just re-route the line up high.

When I do a search, it seems like about half the guys just re-route the original tubes up and into the airbox, while the other half tap into the lines further up with a 1/8 inch T, and run secondary 1/8 lines up along the frame rails.

I was just trying to figure out the advantage of the T mod, over the much simpler re-routing opton.

:smirk:

I took the seat and tank off, re routed the two lines up along the inside of the frame, tucked them in behind the rad then put it all back together. 5 minutes and yer done - bike will never conk out again and I have had it up to the seat in the rivers and creeks. 2nd best mod you will do to this bike.

sorry if im posting this in the wrong area. does any one know if i can make my 08 klx450r street legal in california?? thanks

Hi, why are all of you spending money on a ais block off plate when you can do it your self for free???? Take the ais valve completely off, plug the hole at the air box and intake boot. The metal tube that is connected to the cly, cut the tube with a tube cuter about 2.5 inchs from the end that bolts to the cly, put the cut end of the tube in a vise and squeeze the open end close, then hit the same end with a hammer to flatten the tube even more, put it back on and have fun riding, its all free!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi, why are all of you spending money on a ais block off plate when you can do it your self for free???? Take the ais valve completely off, plug the hole at the air box and intake boot. The metal tube that is connected to the cly, cut the tube with a tube cuter about 2.5 inchs from the end that bolts to the cly, put the cut end of the tube in a vise and squeeze the open end close, then hit the same end with a hammer to flatten the tube even more, put it back on and have fun riding, its all free!!!!!!!!!!!!

I only spend the money cuz i like a trick factory look and can easily reverse the process if it were ever required.